Need MAJOR help redecorating Master Bedroom!!!
nadiaflores1
Recently married. Moved into his home. Kept his very masculine bedroom furniture. I have the "green light" to redecorate, paint, move furniture (aka, make it a little more girly". I definitely want to paint, but I do not know what to do about the wall behind the bed. It's not an exterior window. The wooden blinds are covering an interior window that overlooks our foyer. It's not in the middle of the wall and I don't know what to do. It's also the only wall large enough to accommodate the bed. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!!
Terracegallery
If it were my home, I would remove it and drywall over it on both sides...it would give you a nice place to put some art over the bed that would be more feminine...give the room a focal point...it doesnt look good the way it is.
July 17, 2013 at 10:54AM     
abbyjean
Beautiful bedding and furniture! I actually do not mind the wall color, either. My suggestion is to find a beautiful curtain that you can hang from rods neart the ceiling to cover the window and center your bed with it. Hopefully you can move the bed to center it with the window? Then it looks like it would be centered with the ceiling fan, too. Choose a fabric with some fun accent colors that would tie in with your bedding, like maybe a rich blue in it.
July 17, 2013 at 11:06AM     
PH Interiors, LLC
I agree with Terracegallery. It's worth the money to dry wall and solves the problem.
July 17, 2013 at 12:00PM     
Coates Design Architects Seattle
i agree with Terracegallery as well. Removing that window will give you much more space to work with.
July 17, 2013 at 12:04PM     
After you done drywalling, turn to some lighting. More substantial table lamps would be nice

July 17, 2013 at 12:11PM     
Lea
I would think about placing a wooden board on the wall behind the bed. You could choose the color, put nails on it for pictures or place small shelves on it. It would also cover up the window. But I'd choose a discrete color since its quite a massive bed.
July 17, 2013 at 12:12PM   
somethingpointless
Add curtains behind the bed! They will make the space look super cozy.
July 17, 2013 at 12:18PM   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
I full-heartedly agree with Terracegallery. That window is unnecessary and will "bug" you design-wise until it's covered up or gone.

In addition, I'd recommend a cool grey or another cool neutral for the walls--not too girly, but will diminish the masculinity. Also would recommend adding some color via beautiful artwork (check out Terracegallery's work) and/or throw pillows and other accessories. Deep royal purples and blues are essentially gender-neutral and good accessory colors for grey. If you're wanting to go bolder and a tad more feminine, "poppy" yellows and oranges are a good choice as well.

Another idea is converting the wall behind your bed into an accent wall.
July 17, 2013 at 12:31PM     
Vivian
Is this the only wall the bed fits on? Strange that a home with a window that overlooks a foyer has a window overlooking the living space. Is this the master or a second bedroom? Pics of other walls would be helpful.
July 17, 2013 at 12:43PM   
nadiaflores1
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I agree, that "window" is one of the things I least like about the house, but dry walling it now is not really an option (my husband seems to be emotionally attached to the way it looks like on the reverse wall...go figure).
B.L. Rieke, those were EXACTLY the colors I was envisioning--specifically the grey with pops of yellow, or maybe even green.
I'm thinking about making it an accent wall by covering the window with fabric-covered canvas squares. I'll look for darker fabric and this will be my DIY project for the weekend:-)

Vivian, unfortunately, it's the only other wall in the room where the bed fits. The other wall where the bed was previously just doesn't work for me. It's on the same wall as the bedroom door and it just looks odd.

Thanks again everyone!
July 17, 2013 at 5:51PM   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
For more ideas about covering up the window, check out this Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/lblasey/cover-up-those-walls/. It's got a lot of interesting ideas for covering up unsightly things.
July 17, 2013 at 7:05PM   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Here are a few pictures of gray and yellow bedrooms utilizing a concealing curtain or piece of art behind the headboard:
July 17, 2013 at 7:16PM     
JoAnna Greene
I would put up some simple drapes that cover the window and go all the way over to balance the other side of the bed. if you put a long line of drapes in 4 panels it would look like you had a huge window and you could still pull one or two of the panels back to let the light in,
July 17, 2013 at 7:17PM   
chemayne
Why not persuade hubby that the frame and shutters should be removed and stored until you both find a better place for it? The shutters aren't very soundproof are they? ;-))
Drywall it up and add sexy wallpaper or dreamy grasscloth!
Julia Buckingham Edelmann
Modern Guest Room
Orange Colour Accents
Cat Mountain
July 18, 2013 at 1:28AM     
sophiec32
I would paint the room Ace hardware's Subtle Ivory then get maybe some little art prices on the wall with paint the lighter the color the bigger the room will look
Good luck!
July 18, 2013 at 4:44AM   
PH Interiors, LLC
I suggest you dry wall and then rehang the shutters on the foyer side. He gets to keep looking at them and you have a full wall in the bedroom.
July 18, 2013 at 11:37AM   
Need major help with Master Bath in Bedroom!
Bath in Bedroom was the best option to maximize the...
need major help for my master bedroom
I made this headboard and im trying to fix up my bedroom,...
Need help for redecorating Master Bedroom
I would like to decorate our master bedroom in to a...
I need help redecorating my condo master bedroom
The style of the overall condo is sort of zen-like....
Need help redecorating small master bedroom
So heres the thing.. My bedroom is very small and i...
Need help choosing rug color and kind of rug
Dark gray coach and dark wood floors has left my living...
Rug over carpet
Is it ever ok to lay a hand knotted oriental rug over...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Would you rearrange this room?
Me and my mom are debating if we should move the piano...
Help Please! Living room furniture layout? Window treatments?
I have an open concept living room, kitchen, dining...