HELP! Making do in a small really narrow combination LR & DR.
Joy Hoover
The house is a small rental that the landlord will allow us to do whatever we want with it as long as he doesn't have to pay for it, The living room is long and narrow with dining room in the same room,Hubby's office is now in the dining room but will be moved soon to another spare bedroom, amen. I have a beautiful oak china cabinet thats now in the kitchen and a matching round dining room table and chairs that is now stored away that will be placed in the dining room once he moves the office out. I am out of ideas with this room with furniture arrangement and really wish I could get new furniture but right now is not the time so I have to work with what I already have.I cover the the LR furniture with sheets for now until I can afford fitted covers for it because I hate the dark blue color on it but it was given to us when we relocated here so I am grateful that at least we have a LR set. I am in the process of painting the walls a pale Jade, ceiling white and what windows I have I'm putting up Light bright sheers for more light. BUT I'm still lost on rearranging this entire area. Please help, any and all suggestions I would greatly appreciate.
luducklu
Go to a store such as TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's , post haste and purchase the covers for chairs, sofas,etc. clear the miscellaneous out of the room, a blue for a living room is somewhat depressing, but I would suggest any light shade of green which always makes Oak furniture, "pop"! It freshens up the whole room. This is for starters. Clear off the fire place and hang the art work, to temporarily see if it will work... Clutter free and sheet less furniture is a first start. Art work is available at good prices at consignment, estate sales, garage sales etc! You can make this sooo charming, and We will help!
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 10:53AM
Joy Hoover
Those are great ideas, luducklu, but we live in a tiny town and the closest large town to us is over 100 miles away so I'm limited on department stores. We don't have any of the stores you named above here. I will start de-cluttering and hopefully get him moved out of the dining room soon so I can finish painting that area the pale Jade that I now have in the living room and get the dining room set back up again. Thank you for all the advice :-)
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 11:17AM
abbyjean
How nice that you can paint! Here is what I feel.......if the blue furniture is staying, do not try to hide it or wish it would go away. MAKE IT WORK! Use blue accessories in the room and make sure to choose a paint that works with blue, which jade will. Find pillows with some blue and jade in them to brighten it up a little and maybe put a fun throw on the couch to make it look like it belongs and cover up some of the blue that may over whelm you. Find pictures for the wall that have some blue. Tie it all together. I think this can be a very nice room and your dreams will all come true here!!!
4 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 11:21AM
abbyjean
Is there room with the dining room furniture to center the couch with the fireplace? That fireplace looks beautiful and should be a focal point and it just seems like the couch should be centered with it. How nice to have a fireplace!!! That can add to the cozy feel and again, maybe blue candles on the mantel?????
4 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 11:26AM
Joy Hoover
The fireplace is not centered as it should be, oh how I wish it was then I could do exactly what you are suggesting Abbeyjean
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 11:43AM
Joy Hoover
I also had thought of painting the fireplace a light color but not been able to talk the mister into it ....yet ;-)
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 11:45AM
Joy Hoover
If you look at the layout I drew above you can see how off the fireplace is set. between the LR & DR .
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 11:48AM
abbyjean
SNAP! How about if we move that big chair at the end of the couch and slide the couch down......and it will be centered with the fireplace then? You can see I am not giving up yet, huh!!! We will find a place for that chair, as I know you use it for tv. Will the tv work at all to the left of the fireplace and the chair can just trade places with the couch? Then no one walks in front of the tv when they come in the front door.
4 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 11:54AM
abbyjean
What is to the left of the fireplace now? I can only see a corner? I was wondering about the ottoman in front of the couch going over to where the tv is and using it as a bench in the entry way?
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 11:57AM
abbyjean
I would be afraid to paint the fireplace.......cannot fully see it up close, but I think it looks charming!!!!
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 11:58AM
abbyjean
I am going with the blue still as more ideas.....blue place mats for the dining room table?????
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 11:58AM
Joy Hoover
sorry bout that had to turn them lol
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 12:12PM
abbyjean
I love that table and chairs that you have by the window by the fireplace.....THAT is what I was trying to make out in the pic. WHAT IF you were to put those where the tv is, and then they could be there for entry way furniture, too.......sitting for shoes/boots and a dish for keys and things on the table. The tv would go by the fireplace and the chair would switch sides on the couch, AFTER the couch moves down. Now that I see the fireplace, I BEG you to not paint it. We will play with the mantel in a bit, too. Then the ottoman can stay as a footstool/coffee table, which is nice for the couch!!!
3 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 12:17PM
Joy Hoover
Ok love your ideas but heres the problem with moving the tv. If I do as you suggest it will be in front of the LR window and blocking light into the LR. also the chairs you see on both sides of the table go with the dining room table once I get it set back up. Btw thanks for liking that table, it was a yard sale find for 10.00 that I refinsihed last year :-) I am really liking all your ideas, and so far all are sounding great, Im just a little concerned about blocking the LR window light, but I'm not saying I wont give it a whirl to see if it works.
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 12:26PM
abbyjean
I totally understand THAT fear as it has been on my mind. I am trying to picture three parts to this room.....an entry, a living area and a dining area. ANGLE the tv and though it will still be in front of the window, it will not cover as much of it. I think. If you are willing to try it, I would love to see all of this. I know, you already are painting and moving office furniture and now this! Trust me, I am not thinking it has to be NOW, even though my husband might disagree with that! :)
3 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 12:30PM
Joy Hoover
Lol I so wish you was my neighbor and could just walk right in and guide me through it all lol.... Bless your heart for your time and wonderful ideas but before I can do anything I got to get that man moved back into the spare bedroom so I can have a non business LR again and get the rest of my paining done so I then can start on all these awesome ideas you have :-)
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 12:40PM
abbyjean
And I wish I was your neighbor, too! Thank you! Keep going with what you have started and THAT will feel soooo good, too!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 12:45PM
Joy Hoover
The couch is 7 ft long, if I do the arrangement as you suggested I will not be able to move the chair to the other end of the couch and still be able to see the see the tv, the angle of the tv would throw that off due to the length of the couch, also I would not be able to use the end tables with the couch moved in front of the fireplace due to there is the opening to the kitchen at where the end of the couch would be.. Posting more pictures so you can see what I mean
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:00PM
Joy Hoover
I keep a tape measure with me at all times lol, I been measuring off all the suggestions to see how much room I would have and if I would be able to see the tv if it was angled and unfortunately it wont work :-(
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 1:03PM
abbyjean
Hello! I see exactly what you mean about being able to see the tv from the chair. AND two angles right there may not work, either. Hmmmm.......
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 1:07PM
Joy Hoover
The LR is only 11 feet wide, here are a few more shots of that area in front of the fireplace.
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:11PM
Joy Hoover
sorry for being so long between replies but I been measuring and taking pictures so you can see my dilemma with this room. Its 11 ft W x 22 L and Ive not been able to rearrange the couch to make it work since we moved here. Oh its a nightmare!
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:14PM
luducklu
I love Abbyjean's ideas from an earlier thread. Her ideas are so practical and right on. In my opinion. I also live 100 miles from the nearest big stores. But, locally, there are garage sales and just finds from neighbors, family and friends and will remember you when discarding items. At least You are keeping an open mind! It's going to be Your dwelling and You might sweetly tell your husband to "wait, until You are ready for inspection. A happy wife is a happy life!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 1:15PM
luducklu
Could you take the sheets off the furniture so that We could get a better idea as to how to really get a feel of the space. Please and Thank You.
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 1:18PM
Joy Hoover
sure on the sheets off and we have no family here in Oregon, they all live on the east coast, his job transferred him here... brb, removing sheets and taking picrures
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:24PM
abbyjean
luducklu...how sweet are you!!! Can't wait to see NO SHEETS!
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:26PM
abbyjean
AND traveling with a job is hard on the whole family, but brings you closer together in so many ways. We are NOT giving up here!
4 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:26PM
abbyjean
Just thinking again.....dangerous, I know......is this a dining room you will use daily or one......for looks. I have an idea, depending on your answer.
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:27PM
Joy Hoover
DR will be used on special occasions only when we have company which isnt very often.
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:36PM
luducklu
Abbyjean, I got a big chuckle out of "we're not giving up here".
I once was a young wife that moved away from family for a short time, now that I reflect on it, it was one of the happiest times of my life! Sorry, I regressed, We will try to work on this together..practical is the key word!
3 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:37PM
luducklu
Already better!! Yay! What do you say, Abbyjean ?
3 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 1:39PM
Joy Hoover
brb, I really need some ice tea all this measuring and picture taking has got my thirst up lol... but I do so thank you all for all the help, I was beginning to pull my hair out with this room trying to figure it out... brb in a few :-)
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:39PM
abbyjean
SOOOOOOO much better! One more idea........I am not crazy about the ottoman right in front of the end table......too crowded. Can it disappear?
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:42PM
abbyjean
And you better believe we will work on this together.
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 1:43PM
abbyjean
OK......my next thought was flip flopping the dining room and living room, but I am wondering if the floor covering is not the same in the room???? I think I am seeing tile and carpet, so that idea is out.
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 1:43PM
abbyjean
Can we slide the end table all the way down to the corner of that wall it is near and that will put the chair out further in to the room, but it puts the couch closer to being centered to the fireplace, too. IF we still keep the chair THERE, what about trying the tv at that angle and moving the chair over to the entry way area? Still up for trying that one? AND while the chairs go with the dining table, they are close when needed and it might be nice to have the chairs on both ends of the room to tie it all together, too. I just think it makes more sense with coats hanging there to NOT be having them hang by the tv. Don't get me wrong.....I do not mind the coats there at all, but wonder if this arrangement will make them 'fit' there better.
3 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:46PM
Joy Hoover
Yes the ottoman can disappear,, the DR has an old beat up white linoleum on it, we HOPE to do the entire room in new floor coverings in the near future. I had also thought of flip flopping the LR and DR but the DR is smaller than the LR and the furniture wont fit right
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:51PM
Joy Hoover
I have to keep refreshing the page to see your comments, do I not have this set up right or is this normal? Abbyjean I am still re reading your last suggestion and trying to visualize what you are saying, let me re read that again lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 1:55PM
abbyjean
My computer has done some wacky things with posting today, too. I am talking about just a small change.....moving the end table and couch down to the wall that sticks out and then the chair over with it to stay angled right there. It will actually help create more of a division between the two rooms this way, too.
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 1:58PM
Joy Hoover
Ok I get what you're saying now Abbyjean, and I like it but you got to remember I only have 11 ft of width to work with and that would put the chair about 4 ft in front of the fireplace and not much room for traffic. However I was thinking what if the chair went at an angle of the end of the fireplace? Opposite side of where the tv will be angled beside the fireplace? Once the DR is set up and his office is out of there I do believe that would work, it still knocks out an end table for the chair though because of not enough room for traffic. As I said before I have had this place rearranged so many times and the odd size of it makes it impossible to work with. But I do know where theres a will there a way lol and I'm not giving up either lol
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 2:03PM
abbyjean
YES! Move the chair to THAT side of the fireplace and then move the end table to the other end of the couch......and then is the couch almost centered with the fireplace?????? LOVE IT! Think how cozy it will be with the chair right by the fireplace and you can use the hearth for a glass or cup. Do you have a floor lamp you could put beside the chair?
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 2:08PM
Joy Hoover
If the fireplace mantel wasnt so high I would love the tv to be over that but sitting here now looking up over that, its just too high up and would not be comfortable to try to view the tv, we want to get a bigger flat screen tv too some day lol.... oh we have a want list a mile long lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:10PM
abbyjean
You are so right.....think how your neck would hurt, looking up that high. To be honest, I do not always like a tv up there, either. We still get to play with your mantel, too!
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:11PM
thelmalouisemom
Joy, could you try the sofa with the back to the dining room? The chair and end table where the sofa is now. I also like the furniture without the bed sheets. There are wonderful people oh Houzz, and they will NOT give up.
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 2:12PM
Joy Hoover
sorry your comment just popped up, no I dont have a floor lamp but I do have a smaller in dimension side table that could be used beside the table :-)
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:12PM
abbyjean
YES! A smaller table will be perfect! Oh, did I just notice you have an end table at each end of the couch? Would you mind if you get rid of one? The couch and the big tables just keep that wall looking long and narrow with all of that. The other lamp could go on your 'rummage' table that you have in the room.....what a steal that was!
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 2:14PM
Joy Hoover
Hi thelmalouisemom, cant put the couch as you are asking the room is only 11 ft wide, but thank you for the suggestion, I have tried that and it did not work with how small the room is unfortunately
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:14PM
Joy Hoover
I meant a smaller side table that could be used beside the chair.... oh my Im beginning to be all thumbs here lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:17PM
Joy Hoover
the wall is long and narrow lol, but I can give it a try and see how it looks without the other end table
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:20PM
Joy Hoover
heres a layout I had seen online that I had wanted to do but our couch is too long, ugh... I really need smaller scaled furniture but oh well, someday I hope hope hope lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:22PM
Joy Hoover
if I could set it up like this picture then the tv could go where the wall protrudes out at an angle , or so Im figuring
0 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 2:24PM
Joy Hoover
I gotta get a shorter couch to make this room work right lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:25PM
abbyjean
Yes......a smaller side table for the chair! Perfect! AND only one end table for the couch. Bossy pants here!!!
3 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 2:27PM
Joy Hoover
I am loving the idea of the table being where the tv is now, that just makes perfect sense! So that much at this point I know is definitely gonna happen
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:28PM
abbyjean
Your chair moved will look just like the inspiration picture! YES! AND a smaller table will look like that, too.
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 2:28PM
Joy Hoover
I am so blessed to of ran across this site today, you all have been so much help, and thank you Miss Bossy Pants' lol, you got great ideas
3 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 2:31PM
abbyjean
You just tried to get out of painting today is all!!!!!
2 Likes   July 17, 2013 at 2:32PM
Joy Hoover
Now first things first, got to get his office moved into the spare room this weekend, get the rest of the dining room painted, get it all set up, get help to bring the china cabinet back into the DR and I have a big area rug that I use in the DR too, has multiple colors in it, then once all that is done I can then start on this LR finally!!! Hope yall are around because I'm sure I will have problems that I will need answers too and once all is done I will do a before and after pic and post it :-) I love those, they are so cool!
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:36PM
Joy Hoover
I cant paint till hes out of the DR lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:36PM
Joy Hoover
Hopefully this weekend he wont be too busy to do that, he works from home, so nothing can be torn down office wise till weekends
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:39PM
Joy Hoover
It will be so good to have the business out of the DR and into a room I dont have to look at lol
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:40PM
Joy Hoover
I thank everyone for all the help today, I wont be starting this till he has his office moved so if you all have more ideas or inspiration pictures please post them all, I will be checking in daily and thanks again! God bless!
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:44PM
abbyjean
You totally have a plan! GREAT one, too! NICE that you have a rug for the dining area, too, since you do not like that floor.
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 2:45PM
Joy Hoover
I do not like any of the floors in this house, I would love to redo it all if we could afford it. Have a wonderful evening Abbyjean and thanks again for everything! :-)
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 2:51PM
LB Interiors
Wow 'abby' Great job with all your help. I agree with 'abbyjean'. Use the sofas and go with the blue. I had a thought ... My first thought is .. you can place the TV over the fireplace. Or ask the landlord if you can mount the TV from the ceiling? Your sofas have high backs so that will not give you neck strain. If you can maybe you can buy a flat screen TV and I would save the money to do that. That would solve the difficult spaces that you are working with.

Center the sofa to the fireplace as much as you can. One chair near the sofa and one near the fireplace. Ottoman can move to the entry wall with an oval mirror above. Small table can move against the wall near the store room.
White - tables
Light blue - small storage ottomans or garden stools for coffee tables.
Not to scale.
Before - Floor Plan
After - Floor Plan
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 3:13PM
luducklu
I've had company for the last two hours, been out of touch. Joy, you were blessed today to have ABBYJEAN'S help. She is entirely on my wavelength..... Wish that We could "swoop in" and have a "decorating party" for You! My childhood night times were spent dreaming of rearranging furniture and making windows beautiful! I believe that a house becomes not just a home, but a haven in this world. Like You Joy, I feel that finding HOUZZ, was one of the best things that I've ever run across!
Your Husband will be so pleased. BTW, if you are right handed, you will find that maybe a tray, set on the hearth, next to the newly arrangement of the chair will suffice as a place to set a drink, remotes, etc!
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 17, 2013 at 4:19PM
Joy Hoover
Hello LB Interiors, thank you for all the advice and visuals, how ever I do not have the things you talking about such as small storage ottomans or garden stools for coffee tables and the lay out will not work in this LR due to it only being 11 ft wide. The couch ottoman has to stay with the couch due to his leg problems and needing to prop them while watching tv. The tv over the fireplace, we had thought of doing, we even did a mock up and placed it up there at one time to see how it would feel for us, well with the room being so narrow you really need to arch your neck to see the tv, not comfortable at all, sorry to say because that was my first thought when we moved here was a tv over the fireplace. So we are back to square one on that. I do appreciate your help and if this room was wider your suggestions would definitely work. The measurements of this LR/DR combo is 11 ft wide x 22 ft long my couch is 7 ft long, due to finances I am forced to 'make do' with what I already have. Btw I love the 'Garden Gorgeous, Navy and Red pillows' thats another thought that I can make from scraps. Thanks again LB for all your advice and visuals :-)
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 8:44AM
abbyjean
That ottoman really works for your couch as the sizes are just so good together. AND now that I know your hubby USES it, like it even more. Just wondering what THAT looks like without being covered??!! AND just to dress it up a bit, since it is so nice and big, can you leave one half of it for hubby as a footstool....he can choose which side???? and maybe try something pretty on the other side? A tray with something for the tv remote? A candle? You get the idea. Just thinking again....
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 9:11AM
Joy Hoover
the ottoman is covered over because its black vinyl and shows everything! We also have a Jack Russel and she sheds 365 days a year, so that another issue with all the dark colors in this room. I will eventually re-cover the ottoman to work better once all is decided and I see what my color schemes are. As far as a try or something on the one side I would love that but again our furry baby also likes that side too lol
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:00AM
Joy Hoover
I was looking through some furniture covers online yesterday and found one I dearly love, its really a farm country look and I love it, they have 2 colors in the prints, let me find them and then I will post pics of them and you give me your opinion on the color to go with okie dokie?
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:02AM
abbyjean
A farm country look is one of my favorites!!!!
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 10:09AM
pkenni
Paint out the fireplace. I wanted to do ours... Couldn't decide. One day just did it .... Love the clean fresh look!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 10:23AM
Joy Hoover
I love country charm/farm look/ anything country looking.
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:24AM
Jeannie Nguyen
Hey everyone, We're going to be having a Live Discussion on Houzz on the topic of "Color Rules and How to Break Them" today at 11am PDT at this link: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/564907 Would love to see you there!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 10:38AM
Joy Hoover
I'm partial to the red, I am so tired of blue
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 10:38AM
abbyjean
You deserve a break from the blue and this red is just soooooo nice! Not an in your face red at all! Will it look ok with the paint you have chosen? Does it measure right for the couch?
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 10:41AM
Joy Hoover
yes on all, my walls are a pale jade and they have the size I need for the both the chair and couch, both less than 150.00 after shipping..... will be awhile before I can order it, but I love it!..... so now my question is, since I have decided on farm country as my deco scheme, what do you think of painting the fireplace white now?
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:52AM
abbyjean
Well, I think they are meant to be for YOU! The right color and size and not a bad price, either. I went back and looked at your fireplace again and I have such a hard time doing that......no turning back once the brush hits it, either. I would love to help accessorize with country items, though!!!! AND I could give permission.....do you love that.......for you to paint the end tables and the rummage table. Those would be awesome with a nice shiny white finish.
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:04AM
Joy Hoover
cant paint these end tables they were just refinished last year, but..... I do have 2 others that we bought at a yard sale when we first moved here that can indeed be painted, they are narrower and stand a bit taller than the ones I have in the LR room now
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:21AM
Joy Hoover
what rummage table are you speaking of? If you mean the drop leaf I just refinished last year too, no can do, but I have a patch work table cover that will be perfect on it and its square so I can lap the corners over the front of the table that will be where the tv is now
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:25AM
abbyjean
WHAT? You have been hiding end tables from me? They sound like they could be the perfect ones for some white paint!!! Narrow will really work better with the big couch you have.
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 11:29AM
abbyjean
OK.......thought the table you have by the fireplace with the dining chairs that I talk about moving where the tv is came from a rummage. Maybe not. Can't find where we talked about it yesterday.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 11:30AM
Heather S
Abbyjean, you crack me up! You are so funny :)
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:37AM
Joy Hoover
it was a yard sale buy, yes but I put alot of work into that refinishing it, but I have lots of old wood stuff here that is just screaming to be painted lol
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 11:37AM
abbyjean
Then you better answer and start painting it! That will totally get you fired up for the new covers.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 11:38AM
Joy Hoover
Oh I am getting so excited now! lol Cant wait to get him moved out of the DR so I can get started on all this lol
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:38AM
Joy Hoover
sorry for the delays in replys but I have to keep refreshing the page to see new comments
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:39AM
abbyjean
It is almost the weekend and then the office time is up!!! That will be sooooo fun for you to get a dining room!!! AND he will love a real office!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 11:41AM
Joy Hoover
get a few pics to show you the other end tables and a few other pieces, brb in a few
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:42AM
abbyjean
Went back to look at the room again......how about painting the door when you paint the walls so the white rectangle disappears.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 11:49AM
Joy Hoover
ok all this stuff is in storage so over look the dust please. The one single stand is out in our new room we are building, its a small extension , but to be for for house plants and a place to go with sunshine to during long winters here, but thats not even finished on the inside yet so we will tackle that one when its ready lol okay?
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:57AM
Joy Hoover
what color would you suggest for the door? I have a terrible time deciding colors for doors
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:58AM
abbyjean
LOVE the idea for the house plants! AND love the white book shelf! It is ready to go with your white accents! We must find a place for it as it will also give you some height in the room.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 12:05PM
abbyjean
I was actually thinking about making the door fade away by painting it the wall color. We did that in our family room entry way......worked! Not sure you want to add another color to the room right now by thinking of another one.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 12:06PM
Joy Hoover
no problem, I can paint it the same color as the wall, I still have 2 gallons of same paint because I need to finish the DR walls yet but I will have plenty to do doors, I have the store room door there too that can be painted so it fades away
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 12:13PM
abbyjean
That is my other goal always......use what you have and no reason to buy paint even, when you have some that will serve the purpose. I know paint is a cheap fix, but it is an even cheaper fix when you use what you have.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 12:16PM
Joy Hoover
you got that right
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 12:17PM
Joy Hoover
well my friend I do have to do a few things here and while Im hopping over the house I will also be gathering and placing in the LR what I will be working on later today and thru out, that way he sees Im serious about this and knows his butt is coming out of that DR this weekend, no more delays! lol I will be back later my friend, thanks again :-)
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 12:20PM
LB Interiors
I like the red country slipcovers as I think they will work nicely with a bit of warmth that I see in the fireplace.
0 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 12:27PM
abbyjean
He knows better than to stand in the way of a woman with her mind set!!!
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 12:30PM
LB Interiors
Thanks Joy! For claification, the garden stools I mentioned are only about 12-14" round. So I think that would work. but I now understand the very tight budget and function of the ottoman, thanks.

Sorry, another couple of thoughts. I'm all for making do with what you have. Reusing, repainting, remodeling, repurposing, restaining, remaking, reconfiguring, readjusting, recrafting ... anything.

An idea: Have you considered moving the TV in front of the window? on the same wood cabinet or on the table that is there? that would bring the TV closer to the seating area and the focal point of the fireplace. Better direction for viewing without turning your neck when on the sofa. I usually don't like TVs in front of the window but you do not have many options is this narrow room with large furniture.

An idea: If you purchased the slipcovers, you could also cover the ottoman with a co-ordiinated stripe or plaid (smaller or larger than the plaid in slipcovers) or a mini print, or a solid beige fabric to go with the sofa and chair slipcovers.

An idea: Maybe you could replace the ottoman with something that is used the same way with something you may already have. It would give you more walking space through the room. Do you have anything that can be used as supports for under a plank of wood (about 12-14") as a narrow bench type situation? You can pad the plank with old towels and scrap fabrics and recover with patchwork scrap fabrics (like a quilt). It may not be wide enough for your dog. You could use concrete blocks and repaint them, wood crates, wood boxes, same size tree stumps, or make something out of scrap wood for supports for the plank... Just some thoughts.
0 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 1:09PM
LB Interiors
If you are going to get the slipcovers, white painted end tables will work if there is enough other white in the room. Otherwise, maybe a cream color to go with the slipcovers. Just a thought. I wouldn't paint the fireplace, it works so well with your country design.
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 1:17PM
bygeorgi
So I'm not the only one... I feel your pain Joy, my living room is 11 by 19 but has an ugly wall heater , no lovely fire place. You do have nice big windows also, so I would play up the positives. Remove clutter on the mantle, just have a couple pieces. I like to play with contrast to make a room work.... So on a budget and with out a big box store I would simplify, invent a kind of modern country.... a cream, taupe and navy color scheme, paint all the walls cream and the tv wall a slightly lighter shade of navy than your sofa. With one quart of stain and a brush change the color of the light wood pieces to a deeper tone, spray with a clear semi gloss to seal. If you have a thrift store near by check out framed mirrors and place above the mantle or above the sofa. A glass container with branches from your yard, make a DIY interesting coffee table from old furniture or found objects. As for furniture arrangement I hate to say it but I have tried several different ways and nothing ever looks quite right, sorry.... but here are some images that I hope inspire you....
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 1:25PM
bygeorgi
one more...
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 1:26PM
LB Interiors
Here is another floor plan option. Not to scale.

2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 1:57PM
Joy Hoover
Hello LB Interiors & bygeorgi,
I do appreciate all your help and suggestions, I see a lot of blue above and creams and I understand that it would be cheaper to work with the blue because of the blue furniture but to be honest with you both I am so tired of blue that anything I would have do in blue would not make me happy and I know me well enough to know that when I'm not happy with what I'm working on it will not get completed in the long run. The entire LR/DR was a french blue and the wall behind the tv was a shade darker of the french blue, as a focal wall. I did not like it at all but at the time the paint had already been bought so I had no choice but to finish it.
I lived with that color for 2 years and recently was able to repaint it a pale jade, that I absolutely love. I have yet to get the DR painted due to him having his office there. Once he's out of there, that area gets painted the same jade. Also I had planned on having a bit of cream/sand/beige but not much if needed, beige is another color I have grown tired of too.The white paint I have not decided if it will be a snow white or an off white, or maybe not even a white at all, that will be determined once I get the slip covers so I can try to match up a bit in the some of the colors in those. As far as coordinated fabrics for the ottomans I am thinking a coordinated small gingham for those with matching swags on the windows. I definitely want the LR/DR to coordinated with each other, I plan on recovering the dining room chairs in a coordinated pattern too so everything pulls together but doesnt slap ya in the face so to say lol. I have in my head what I want as far as colors and all, and I do thank you both for your suggestions, I really really the do! :-)
As far the couch ottoman, I am sorry but it stays LB, the man doesnt ask for much and so far thats been his only request that I do not change, he has no problem with me recovering it, but he really does need a comfortable place to rest his legs in the evenings. We are not spring chickens anymore and the aches and pains are catching up to us lol. The 'Golden years, aren't so golden' on some days lol, I shouldn't laugh but I found that to be a bit funny, sorry.... As far as using the drop leaf table as a tv stand I'd rather not, due to that will be where the tv is now, besides its an old piece of furniture, white pine and I really dont think it would hold up to the weight of the tv.
Anyway with all of that said I still need a furniture arrangement that will work, I have been walking this area trying to visualize it at all directions and so far no luck,. Most if my furniture is just too big for this small space so I am rethinking of what else I have here to use in place of the big stuff and where else I could use the big stuff I take out.
Thanks again for all your help and please keep posting suggestions, every little bit helps me see things in a different light :-) God bless you!
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 3:29PM
LB Interiors
I have loved the idea of jade walls from the beginning! The jade also works with the navy furniture as is. All of us have tried to work with your existing things, once we were aware of your budget. We just throw out ideas that maybe you have not thought of. I've worked with clients who only change a few things in a room and help them by rearranging borrowed items from other rooms . Switching out to make better use of their existing items.

Are you saying you have other smaller sofas or chairs that you could switch out? I totally understand the ottoman issue. You're going in the right direction.

You didn't say if the TV in front of the window may be an option. I feel that is really causing most of the floor plan difficulty.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 3:43PM
Joy Hoover
Thanks LB, no I dont have a smaller couch, wish I did and as far as the tv in front of the window yes that may be an option once I find something smaller to set it on. Sorry I forgot to include that in my last comment., I am still wanting to arrange this room as the inspiration room I posted before, just not quite figured out to do that yet, but Im not giving up lol. If that cant be accomplished then I will have no choice but put it in front of the window, or I have another idea too, will draw that out and post it in a bit. .... but for now heres the inspiration room arrangement I am aiming for, just the arrangement not the style so much, though it is sweet, just dont like the beige in it. :-)
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 4:07PM
LB Interiors
I don't think you can do that. Sorry to burst your bubble ... this is why..
- furniture is too large
- you don't have enough depth in the room (11 ft)
- sofa can't be placed as above photo (11 ft room depth) sofa is (7 ft) = only 4 ft to walk by & cuts the room, is unnecessary
- chair cannot be on the right side of fireplace. It will be in some of the dining room space. Will not work. Will crowd the dining room & overlap the fireplace
- TV in the entry doesn't work, better if in front of the window
- TV in the entry is too far away from the only space that you have for seating. Poor side viewing.

- reversing the sofa and chair in your inspiration photo will not work for the same reasons above. And the chair will be in the way of TV viewing
Not much more I can see for a different floor plan, Sorry :) Sometimes we can't have what we really want.

P.S. Even if you had a smaller sofa (loveseat size 5 ft) the entire room would feel awkward.
0 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 4:26PM
LB Interiors
Just another suggestion regarding fabrics, understanding that your design style is country. If you have too many patterns it can be very visually busy and confusing to the eye. Especially in small spaces. I suggest using some solid color fabrics within your plan. Solids for sofa pillows and mostly solids for windows with trim in gingham. Especially since the slipcovers have a lot of visual stimulation alone. Let the sofa and chair be the focal points for pattern.

Place a colorful artwork above the fireplace to carry the slipcover colors to the other side of the room.
0 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 4:53PM
LB Interiors
A thought, If you decide to use the TV at the window, you could use the cabinet it's on temporarily, until you find what you want. That way the room will come together faster and be more comfortable and functional.
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 4:57PM
Joy Hoover
Thank you LB for all the suggestions :-) I cant do a thing but small things till hes moved and I get those slip covers, due to I cant be working in the LR and making any noise. I sure will be glad when hes in his own space lol so I can get started. Thanks again!
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 5:36PM
LB Interiors
You're quite welcome! Here's something you might relate to. It isn't quite what I was mentioning. A little more pattern than what I suggested but I think you will like it.
This is a larger room than yours.

2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 5:51PM
LB Interiors
This one is more like my suggestion with the reverse of your sofa and chair with using solids and print pillows instead. It's less busy and just as charming. This is a larger room than yours.

1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 18, 2013 at 5:54PM
LB Interiors
@ abbyjean. I went back to read all your comments again. I just want to apologize for not noting that you had suggested the TV on the left of the fireplace way up in the thread. I put it in the center of the window. My drawing is just the way I see it and apparently you had a similar vision. Either the sofa or the chair can switch places as we both suggested. I apologize again for the oversite about this and that was shown in my Floor Plan #2. :)
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 7:12PM
abbyjean
Are you kidding???? NO reason to apologize one bit.......when I read you suggested the same thing, I just puffed all up and smiled and thought....yippee.....I had a good idea! It was a compliment like no other! I needed that, especially when I just got SHOT DOWN with some advice I just gave on another thread. I can be.....this old......and my feelings are the first to get hurt.
3 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 7:13PM
LB Interiors
Thanks so much 'abbyjean'! That's so nice of you! And puff up again because you need a pat on the back and then some, for all your great help and support for Joy. You've tried so hard to help her and gave her some great options. Kudos to you for using all that brain power and creativity!
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 7:20PM
abbyjean
Aw, shucks. Seriously, you have no idea what your compliment means to me!!!
4 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 7:22PM
LB Interiors
Wow, bunches of thanks. i appreciate that so much!
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 7:23PM
luducklu
LB and ABBYJEAN.......I was so thrilled to read of the camaraderie that has evolved between the two of You and Joy!
I was privy to the earlier thread that ABBYJEAN referred to earlier....I was having second thoughts as to being a part of comments offered.... You have given me renewed hope in that in the end, We are all using trial and error, ever mindful that our lifestyles and needs vary.. Let us all treat others with respect and courtesy. We are, after all, supposed to be grown ups!
Thank You and Good Night!
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 7:52PM
abbyjean
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that I did not offend you. I sincerely hope I did not!!!
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 7:55PM
luducklu
Oh, My No..... I was very much in avid agreement with everything that You offered in the earlier thread on a different space. you are truly a special sweetheart! You have been selfless in giving sound and sage advise. I was so disappointed last night when the comments ended..... I wanted more!
I wish I knew you personally as you appear to be a kindred spirit! God Bless!
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 8:04PM
abbyjean
Oh, thank you! My stomach was just churning and I feel soooooo much better now. You just made my day!!! The smile is back! My confidence is back. Group hug!!!
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 8:12PM
Joy Hoover
Good morning my wonderfully talented inspirational friends :-)
I'm not sure what all the above chatter was about but glad all worked out whatever the issue was elsewhere..
Now changing gears for a second, I wanna show you all something I did last year and I am so proud of. We were in need of a Kitchen island, we dont have near enough counter space in my tiny kitchen for all we need a kitchen for. We have a huge garden every year and we can up all that is can-able and freeze or dehydrate the rest.
Now talk about 'making do' take a look at this and I really wish you could see it in real time because pictures doesn't do it justice. Its a 'coffee table turned into a kitchen island' When we moved here, John had a few things in storage from when he lived here before, among those things was a huge long dark heavy coffee table that we used a year in the now LR that is my ever loving nightmare lol, Anyway I loved the inscribed details on the top of it but hated the dark wood, well part of it was solid wood the rest was pressed wood which made it impossible to completely refinish.
John made 4x4 legs for it and put wheels on it so it could be moved around to where we needed it during canning season. From there I took off on it, I refinished the real wood, painted the legs and hardware and did a faux marble paint job where ever the pressed wood was then polyurethane in all!
Yes I'm bragging and showing off but I wanted you all to see that I do indeed 'make do' when I have no other choice and most times it turns out better than I had anticipated. So even though I am getting frustrated with this LR/DR combination and lack of size of it I just wanted to you all to know that with your alls help this will get done, may not be what I in-vision but more than likely will be better than what I in-visioned in the long run. Much like this coffee table island, this is not how I saw it to be, this is how it ended up to be and I love it!
Okay getting off my pedestal now lol and get the mowing done before it gets too hot, then can finish inside work after that. Will be back later today, Hope everyone has a fabulous day! :-)
4 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 7:21AM
luducklu
Good Morning to All......wow, Joy, you have kept a secret! We are just now learning, that You and John are both very talented!i can't wait until the rest of this fab group discovers this well kep secret. I will give you time to get your mowing done and check back in later. Oh how I wish I still had a mower...might buy another one as I noticed that there is a great sale going on locally for self-propelled mowers....! Let Us Seize The Day!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 19, 2013 at 8:40AM
LB Interiors
Wow Joy, what a terrific makeover!!! The marbelizing looks professional and beautiful.!! How creative you are! You truly did a wonderful job! What else are you hiding from us? Have a wonderful day!
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 19, 2013 at 8:56AM
luducklu
ABBYJEAN, where are you?
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 1:01PM
abbyjean
Ta Da! Made a run to pick up some grandkids and we are leaving for a mini vacation with them in the morning. FUN!!!
2 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 2:19PM
Joy Hoover
LB and luducktu, bless your all's heart, first of all thank you for the complements on the 'makin do' kitchen island, I don't have any secrets lol, but I have lots of before and after pictures of projects that I can post if ya want to see them and LB, God love ya, I saw all the pics you posted for me to see and where you say "This is a larger room than yours" lol, my friend ALL rooms are larger than mine! lol. From all the pictures I have looked at in this section of the site I haven't seen anyone else 's LR room as small or as weird as mine. lol.... I do like both the pictures you posted and now I'm seeing things as far as solids,colors and prints in an all new light. So now I'm back to looking for another inspirational picture to go by that maybe is the size and weirdness of my LR lol with a layout that will work for me for now, at least until the day comes that we relocate yet again, and I most likely will be needing your help for many years to come :-)
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 2:57PM
bygeorgi
Oh Geez....should I post a pic of my 11 by 19 living room with its one sad tiny window and an ancient wall heater to make everyone feel better about their spaces HaHa
3 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 3:13PM
Joy Hoover
Bless your heart bygeorgi, I had forgotten, sorry, you did tell me that
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 3:28PM
Joy Hoover
Enjoy your mini vacation with those grand kids Abbyjean :-) I know I miss not being with mine. They both are on the east coast and here I am on the west coast. Hopefully someday we will relocate back east again so I can be near my family and spoil those grand son's a bit more than they already are lol.
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 3:40PM
abbyjean
Do you skype with the kids or anything like that? We are soooo lucky to have two right here in this town and three others are just 100 miles away. We are truly blessed! I just feel like I am going to miss all of YOU and these discussions, though.......you are in my thoughts.....and just hafta say.......I LOVE do it yourself and I am loving what I am seeing here. I hope to see more when I get back.
3 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 19, 2013 at 5:37PM
bygeorgi
oh joy... we all have our obstacles don't we... I just really can relate. But I have lived in this space for 25 years now and been really close to smashing it with a sledge hammer or burning it haha , just kiddin but you know what I mean. It's frustrating never being able to make the room look how I want. I am wanting to redecorate a bit, change color schemes but some times I just think whats the point.. ok enough gripe from me.... sorry
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 19, 2013 at 5:41PM
Joy Hoover
No problem bygeorgi, complain away, I do it every time I attempt this LR lol and yes Abbyjean the kids and I do skype when they have internet to do so.
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 6:27PM
Joy Hoover
I did accomplish a few things in this LR today lol.... see below, the smaller end tables are in place now of the larger ones and I de-cluttered the mantel lol and the large end tables are now in the unfinished garden room and they work great there! :-)
2 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 7:10PM
Joy Hoover
Really wish I could get a straight head on shot of the couch and chair with the narrower end tables but this is the best I could do
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 7:12PM
Joy Hoover
Time to start cooking supper will be back later this evening :-)
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 7:13PM
LB Interiors
I'm going to miss all of you as well. Thanks Joy. I'm on the west coast too. Just finished dinner. So It's supper for you. That means maybe you're originally from the midwest or east coast?
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 7:26PM
LB Interiors
Smaller end tables will help.Thanks for the pics. But again, there is no other arrangement in the stars for you that I can see. :(
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 7:27PM
abbyjean
Would you look at THAT room! TOTAL transformation already!!!!! The end tables are just what was needed and they are theeee best, too! And that fireplace.....you go, girl!!! BIG pat on that back for you and a super high five! Sooooo hoping to come back on Tuesday and 'hear' you say that hubby got....moved out!
5 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 19, 2013 at 8:14PM
abbyjean
Garden room.......drool!!!!!! Lucky!!!!!! Love it!
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 19, 2013 at 8:16PM
Joy Hoover
Howdy everyone!l Yep I was born and raised in Winchester,VA.,Pasty Cline's hometown, if you all know who she was and thanks for saying the end tables work for the area and unfortunately he cant move out of the office until the internet is re-wired in the room hes going too, hes got to call the internet provider and phone people to do all that but I'm going ahead and starting on this LR regardless. Maybe if I bug him enough with all my activities he will get frustrated and rush the people to get here and get that wiring done lol & LB, :-( no hope for me huh? Even if I knock out the front wall? lol
2 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 10:09PM
LB Interiors
Yes you got it. Knocking out and remodeling is it, but I'm sure you already knew that! There, see, you solved this dilemma yourself! Anxious to have hubby in his new office so we can see your progress.
2 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 10:27PM
luducklu
Joy! This is really a hundred times better.... What does your hubby say? I loved it when, after a project was completed, my Husband was so pleased, and one in which He had had No input!, He acted as though it had been His idea, all along ! Lol
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 20, 2013 at 6:55AM
Joy Hoover
lol leave it to a man to take credit for all your hard work, I know that one all too well! As far as what this one is saying, well not a thing so far, but hes use to me always being into some kind of project I've come up with and to get a compliment out of him is like pulling teeth! Only time I hear a compliment is when someone else likes something I've done then he will chime in with," Yes it looks pretty good'...thats the best I get [sigh]
2 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 8:32AM
Joy Hoover
think I found a better fix for the black ottoman, vinyl spray paint! any one have any thoughts or experience with vinyl painting? Of course color has not been determined yet but it sure will not be black or blue! lol
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 11:35AM
Joy Hoover
also anyone have any experience with painting fabric furniture with wall latex paint? Yes I did find that online, I have not lost my mind entirely yet lol.
From what I've read and saw in pictures it leaves a more pet friendly surface that would be easier to vacuum her hair off of. With how much our dog sheds trust me I need that kind of surface. We would love leather if we could afford it but since we can't I am curious if this would be the solution for my problems, My hate of the dark blue furniture and the constant fight of trying to keep it clean of dust free and dog hair that doesn't like to be vacuumed and lack of funds to buy what I would really like to have.....but I do have paint!!! lol here's one of the links I was reading up on and this lady didnt use the fabric medium that was suggested in the other sites. I dont like the racing stripe but I was thinking to go with LB's suggestions and stick to solids then accessorize with prints/colors
http://diyshowoff.com/2012/12/13/painted-upholstered-chair-tutorial-before-and-after/
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 11:52AM
Joy Hoover
Well I be darn, he just remeasured the LR/DR and the total is more than I had said, total is 31.1 ft Long X 11.5 Wide
The LR is 20 -ft Long X 11.5 - Wide DR is 11.1 ft L X 11.5 Wide
Will this help me any better as far as furniture arrangements go?
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:20PM
luducklu
I just remembered to tell you that I love your fireplace screen, the new table appear to be " High End", and very versatile... Don't ever lose them... They could, in the future, be used as nice bedside night stands as well. Let us know how the paint works. I had given a very expensive chair away to family...lipstick was used as an arts and crafts project, accidentally by a three year old...so I cleaned it, painted it, and used a multiple splatter effect on it..turned out to be a fun, creative project that garnered many compliments...
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:26PM
LB Interiors
Oh my dear one, Joy, you are so endearing!. I'm so very sorry, but I have to answer you in a very quiet whisper... no o o. It's only 6" difference and in this situation :) it isn't enough to make a difference. You need this dimension to be much more substantial. Poor thing! I hated to comment on this. :))
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:29PM
luducklu
Oh, oh.... He's better with a tape measure! Maybe your room grew with your groans being heard? Can't wait for ABBYJEAN to rethink the layout...lol..... Sure have missed Her feedback today.
2 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:30PM
Joy Hoover
awesome was it durable Luducklu? the painted chair did it hold up for every day living?
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:31PM
LB Interiors
I have spray painted vinyl stools. Vinyl spray paint IS an amazing product and really does work! The stools were used in a salon every day and they lasted for years.
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:32PM
Joy Hoover
wel it was worth a try LB lol, referring to the new measurements lol
2 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:32PM
Joy Hoover
thats good to hear on the vinyl, how about upholstered furniture, I had read up it can be painted with wall paint and for a leather effect use acrylic... I would love to try this but I would love some feed back first before I attempt it
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:35PM
Joy Hoover
Im aiming towards solid colors for the furniture as LB had suggested, and use colors/prints for accessories, curtains, throw pillows and such
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:39PM
Joy Hoover
Just makes sense to stick with solid colors on the big stuff and add color in accessories, that way its easy to change out accessories with the seasons and holidays, So here's my new inspiration picture for colors that LB kindly suggested and I had my head in prints prints prints heaven lol
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 3:52PM
nancygayle
my living room is 12-20 so know your pain. I use it only as a living room but have two large cutouts to the dining room and kitchen to deal with. this room was added on to the front of the house and the cutouts used to be windows. furniture placement difficult. I have a large screen tv and my chair faces it hahaha I am going to look at a few of the commenters pictures and try some rearranging
3 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:54PM
Joy Hoover
wish you the best of luck nancygayle, let us know how it goes for you please?
2 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 4:21PM
Joy Hoover
Howdy everyone :-)
I have been busy with making floor plans on the BHG Arrange a room site, oh I love that program, as long as you have all the measurements it's a breeze!
I have been measuring, re-measuring and I finally came up with 2 layouts, similar to 2 that LB posted for me before and I am so sorry for not thinking they would not work LB, as it turns out you were right, they will work great! I will be using one as a temporarily fix until we get a flat screen tv then I can move any tv stands out of the LR. yippee!!!
Both of these are to scale and as soon as this heat lets up ( we have no ac here, ugh) I will be getting busy.
Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! :-)
1 Like   July 21, 2013 at 5:14PM
LB Interiors
Thanks Joy, so glad you mapped it out. Good luck to you!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 21, 2013 at 5:34PM
Joy Hoover
Thanks LB and Abbyjean, I hope you had a wonderful mini vacation with the grand kids and you have definitely been missed here by all of us :-)
1 Like   July 23, 2013 at 12:27PM
abbyjean
You read my mind!!!! I have been trying to find you as i cleaned out mail that overwhelmed my box while I was gone and then I was like......where is Joy and her room? We had theeee best time with the three muskateers........5 and 7 year old siblings and their 5 year old cousin.
2 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 12:29PM
abbyjean
You have been busy and I love the drawings of your room, just as much as I love all that furniture you FOUND around there!!! I was soooo hoping you were going to say that hubby got moved in to his office area, but dang!!! It will happen, though!!! LOVE your ideas about solid and prints and big and small things.....smart girl!!!! AND that ottoman does not look awful as is.....I thought you were hiding a monster! NOPE!
1 Like   July 23, 2013 at 12:32PM
Joy Hoover
thats great!!! Good to hear you had a good time :-)
0 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 12:32PM
Joy Hoover
thanks Abbyjean
0 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 12:33PM
Joy Hoover
Still waiting for the wiring to be done in the other room so I can get started here, but the heat wave has been horrible so guess having to wait isnt so bad after all. Glad you like the layouts Abbyjean, I am anxious to get it done then sit back and admire it all. I do have a question though, I saw and read of people painting upholstered furniture, have you ever tried this or know of anyone that has? Also I'm trying to find out how durable that option is. Seems the sites I read it on and have asked have yet to reply to my questions
0 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 12:37PM
abbyjean
We finally have a break in the weather today and the windows and doors are wide open and I am loving it! The only time I have ever seen upholstery painted is on HGtv when they would redo a room overnight. It just made me scratch my head and wonder, as it seemed like a quick fix and for looks only. I cannot imagine it would work, and if it did, would it be comfy like you need it to be? Would you worry about it chipping or breaking? I just do not think it can be a good idea.
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 23, 2013 at 12:43PM
Joy Hoover
thanks Abbyjean, furniture covers it is then.... take care and thanks for all your help. When I get this done I will post a picture :-)
2 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 1:04PM
abbyjean
I am counting on it!!!!! Thank you!
2 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 1:13PM
LB Interiors
So glad you decided on the solid upholstery and prints for accents. I'm happy I could show you my thoughts with visuals to compare the different viewpoints. I was feeling that you would have been overcome with too many prints in a small room. It will make a difference when hubby's office is moved. Post pics please.
1 Like   July 23, 2013 at 1:27PM
CHERYL
ShoutOut to abbyjean you are just such a swetheart you help everyone with the best advice:)
3 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 2:00PM
abbyjean
Shucks!
1 Like   July 23, 2013 at 2:02PM
luducklu
ABBYJEAN , it's good to have you back and that you enjoyed your family. I had remarked to joy that I had painted a fabric chair and unit turned out very pretty,, it was comfortable and a Sherrill made chair that I gave it a second chance because it was so well made..I was washable and with paints splatters on it, adorable...in a granddaughter's bedroom... Lasted until they moved, it was charming.. I would have to be very brave to do it on a whole set of furniture...good to have the conversation going again.
2 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 7:32PM
abbyjean
You were brave, but sounds like it worked for you, too! WOW! Think....if that worked, how much $$$ it would save. Not sure how much the paint costs. Joy, got anything to try it on that would be almost the same????
3 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 7:37PM
Joy Hoover
I have the chair ottoman that I could experiment on Abbyjean, just need to get the color I want first. If you were going to paint this LR suit what solid color would you choose to use that would work with printed/colored accessories and still be 'pet /man' friendly? lol
0 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 9:20AM
abbyjean
How do you feel about a sage green???? Would that work with your wall color, too?
1 Like   July 24, 2013 at 10:13AM
Joy Hoover
sorry had to run errands, just got back..... hmm sage green, I like that! I still have the DR to paint but after that I should have enough if I add white to lighten it up a bit, dont want the furniture blending into the walls lol... Thank Abbyjean, and I bought a satin vinyl paint in almond for the big black ottoman today, so am about to get started on that, those colors will look great together! woo hoo! Be back later with pics of the re-newed ottoman lol
2 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 11:51AM
abbyjean
We should think about the other color a bit more......we really do not want the walls and the furniture that similar, so sage green may not be best. Hmmmm......... LOVE the idea of almond for that ottoman!!!
1 Like   July 24, 2013 at 11:54AM
Joy Hoover
I've been working on that ottoman all day and still not done. Turned out to be a bigger project than I had anticipated. One more coat of paint tomorrow. I am loving the almond color so much more than the black So hopefully tomorrow it will be done. I do have a question though, should I do a coat of clear polyurethane to seal it in better?
Well this girl is about to go to bed soon, so until tomorrow, sweet dreams everyone :-)
1 Like   July 24, 2013 at 9:26PM
abbyjean
You are a go getter! Hopefully someone will be able to answer about the seal for it, especially after all your hard work!
1 Like   July 24, 2013 at 9:29PM
LB Interiors
Not sure about sealing it. I would think if it is not flexible, it may crack. Does it say anything on the product.? To use without a sealer or purchase something else?
1 Like   July 24, 2013 at 10:12PM
Joy Hoover
The can said to use a clear coat, so i did. it's still drying outside in the shade but I'm posting a picture anyway because I am so happy with the outcome so far. No more dreary boring dust collecting black! lol
Can't wait till its dry so i can bring it inside and see how I like with the furniture as it is right now, regardless it;s definitely an improvement!
2 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 10:27AM
Joy Hoover
I know this picture looks like it is white, but it is almond.
0 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 10:28AM
LB Interiors
Looks great! I love using new products.
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 25, 2013 at 11:16AM
abbyjean
AMAZING! Your hard work soooooo paid off! It looks brand new!!! Gosh, it will look great in that room!!!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 25, 2013 at 11:17AM
LB Interiors
You're on your way to co-ordinating, re-purposing, re-arranging, re-painting, re-thinking all your own items. I enjoy helping people do that too. It's rewarding! Thumbs up
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 25, 2013 at 11:45AM
abbyjean
THAT is going to be your piece of sunshine in the room!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 25, 2013 at 11:51AM
LB Interiors
When you change your sofas to a neutral beige/almond, it will start to feel right and come together. Can't wait until you decide on the arrangement for the room.
1 Like   July 25, 2013 at 12:09PM
Joy Hoover
thank you both, well back to work! lol... Later gators! lol
2 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 1:49PM
abbyjean
You should be relaxing today! Is it still warm there? Or HOT!
2 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 1:57PM
LB Interiors
Working helps the desire for decorating and wanted changes!
2 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 2:55PM
Joy Hoover
Yes its hotter today Abbyjean than it was yesterday, not getting as much accomplished today as I had hoped and yes LB you are so right, if it wasn't for this heat I'd have a lot more done, I am starting to look forward to Fall and thats just not like me, but this heat here this year has been unreal!
Here's a few pics of the ottoman inside now, I like it! I will like it even more when the furniture is another color. I do believe it will be furniture covers and not painting it. Taking 2 days to paint the ottoman taught me well, I don't think I want to attempt a LR suite lol.
I dont why these pictures keep showing the ottoman as being white, but I swear it's a pretty almond in person. lol
2 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 4:32PM
LB Interiors
It came out so nice. You would have thought it came that way. Great job!
3 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 25, 2013 at 4:57PM
abbyjean
You have no idea how impressed I am! I hope you smile every time you walk in this room! AND I think you have a good idea to get the covers you love for the furniture.
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 25, 2013 at 10:39PM
bygeorgi
Wow , I am just catching up to all the convo........your ottoman turned out really good looking. It gives a fresh feel to the room, nice. Bet that spray would work some magic on old office chairs.
2 Likes   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 26, 2013 at 8:13AM
Joy Hoover
Howdy everyone,
Just an update and a few questions please....
Today I took off the skirting on the LR suite, it was ragged in some areas from the previous owners, I like it much better with exception of the under parts that are showing under the couch, its a sleeper sofa
. Any ideas how I can camouflage that?
Also I mentioned to the mister today that I was thinking of painting the LR suite, he gave me a look like I had lost my mind lol. But then said, 'Well, if you think it will work go for it.' I was shocked that he actually went along with it lol.
So I am now doing test strips from the old skirting with some old off white paint I had here, just curious how well this heavy material will work with paint and how many coats it will take, giving that I am going from a dark color to a light color. Which brings me to my next question,
' I am needing paint ideas for the furniture please?'
I have been looking at neutrals colors online and so far I am liking all I see. May I have your all's expert advice on this please, because if I do this it will be a one shot deal so I need to be sure its the right color that is livable for a few years yet. :-)
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 3:56PM
abbyjean
So that under part is hanging down and can be seen? Is there a way to turn the furniture over and tack it up someway? Do you use the sleeper part at all? Is it a lining that can even just be cut off? Do you have some furniture stain to tidy up the wooden legs then, too, or even some furniture polish? Make them look brand new. I think that was such a smart move....in two ways......I am guessing they look more modern and you can practice with them. I am still afraid of that, but I can tell that hubby totally trusts you, which must mean he loves his new ottoman!!! A HUGE part of me says to embrace the blue with the new look you created and use blue accents around the room and love it for a few more years. Put some new pillows on it and maybe a throw on a corner and see what ya think. I am just so torn, as it could be great to paint????
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 4:07PM
abbyjean
For fun, go back and look at those first pics you posted here and then look at your room now. ARE YOU SMILING????
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 4:12PM
Joy Hoover
its the hardware thats showing and yes we do use it for company which is only about once a year, but we do need it. As far as working with the blue as it is, I will try if I must I am hoping something one way or the other works out so the dark color is gone
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 4:16PM
Joy Hoover
I will be smiling when I have it all completed lol, its better than it was for sure but I am the type of person that I'm not happy till I complete what I start. lol
1 Like   July 26, 2013 at 4:17PM
Joy Hoover
I hear thunder so I best shut the pc off for a while. Have a wonderful weekend Abbyjean and thanks again! :-)
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 4:21PM
abbyjean
Let me think about that hardward problem. Maybe LB will check in with a plan. Be safe in the storm!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    July 26, 2013 at 4:56PM
Joy Hoover
Just another update, LR is still on hold,ugh. He's still not moved his office out of our dining room, he claims he's too busy for that right now. So I'm still on hold till I don't know when But we did go look at flat sceen tv's last weekend and he's really liking the idea of it going over the fireplace.... that may be my card I can play to get him out of the dining room, 'before tv can be installed, the office needs to be uninstalled' lol. Any way just wanted to touch base with everyone and let you all know I haven't forgotten any of you.
Hope everyone is doing great and I will check in often on whats going on in 'Houzz' ;-)
1 Like   August 12, 2013 at 12:56PM
LB Interiors
We'll be waiting to see your progress :)
1 Like   August 12, 2013 at 1:57PM
abbyjean
You must have known I have been thinking about you. Thanks for the update!!!
1 Like   Thanked by Joy Hoover    August 12, 2013 at 2:03PM
Need help with furniture placement - long narrow LR/ DR
Looking for ideas for furniture placement for the living/...
ann0253
Need help in selecting engineered wood flooring for LR/DR combination.
Looking for something with grey tones. I don't want...
nickellis
Two Level Living Space: Combine Kitchen/DR or Eat in Kitchen/LR?
We are considering an apartment with two levels of...
jbayer
Entry Way MAKEOVER
Hi everyone, I'm almost starting with a blank canvas...
mandiio
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Closet door help, please!
We need help figuring out what to do for the under...
Amanda
Paint name or color?
We get this question a lot and I think it really needs...
VANGUARD development
rredpenn