Need entryway help
Ashley Judge
We just moved in & didn't have anything for the high ceiling entryway. I feel like I've just bought & thrown a bunch of random things together & I'm not happy with how it looks. It doesn't all go together. In the rest of my house I have more of an old world meets modern rustic feel, if that makes sense!
HI -- The ledge over the front door --- don't put anything up there , it's just distracting and dust collecting . The small mirror at the bottom of the stairs might look good over the demi loon console table . You could have a richer paint color in the entrance . Highlight the front door by painting the door and surrounding trim a dark rich color .Right now you can hardly see the front door. A wallpaper could be an interesting addition , something in a larger format. First get an area rug and runner and then base your colors from that.
July 17, 2013 at 6:02pm     
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
I would take everything down from the ledge - and leave it empty as to not draw attention to the area above the door. You could consider adding a detail around the door like this - to give interest. I would also consider painting the door a dark colour.
July 17, 2013 at 6:03pm     
njmomma
What is the lighting? is there a chandelier? I would take everything down from the ledge and I think painting the door would add a lot to the foyer.

A larger area rug with color would work wonders.

Replace the mirror with a painting that bring all the colors together.

Put the candle stick on the hall table and the clock on the wall (above the table).
July 17, 2013 at 6:04pm   
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
Sorry lefty -was adding my response when yours was posted. Similar idea, too! :)
July 17, 2013 at 6:04pm     
Ashley Judge
Yes lighting is a generic 9 bulb chandelier (the style common in new homes).
July 17, 2013 at 6:07pm   
HI -- Ashley -- Look at the lighting at Restorationhardware.com - lots of great and fun things -- maybe the big bird cage fixture would be fun . Then you could find some wall paper with birds on it . This front entrance room should wow people when they come in . Have fun with it !!
July 17, 2013 at 6:14pm   
Amy Wax
What is interesting about decorating entrance hall/stairwells, is that there isn't a sofa or large piece of furniture to make a color statement.. so the walls need to do it for you! Whether they are saying quiet understated or loud and colorful, the colors set the stage for the first impression when someone walks in the door. The colors in your entrance are very very important.
I created an app called Color911. ( find out more about it at Color911.com) You can create your own palette of colors OR take/find a photo of something that inspires you and pull the colors from it.. or check out the color themes. Within the app are many pre-made color themes that are colors that all work beautifully together. You can choose any number of colors within a theme and use the colors for everything from wall color to accent colors to colors to paint your furniture.. you name it. I have been an award winning color consultant and have authored two best selling books on color. I created the color themes myself. If you find a theme that inspires you it can be great fun to shop for anything. I dont think you need to decorate the area above the front door, but you can put another color up there above the ledge. If you are using a theme, sometimes it is best to simply choose a different shade so that there is a difference but nothing too dramatic. Using a color theme from the Color911 app... you will have lots of choices. I attached a color theme to share with you to show you how it works. There are many within the app, this is just a sample. I hope it inspires you!
July 17, 2013 at 6:15pm     
JoAnna Greene
I would take 5 or 7 very simple pots and put some tall stripped branches in them and line them up a few inches from the ledge in front of the window. Very clean, rustic and natural with a sculptural edge. If you want some drama or color find some cool pots, but keep clean lines to contrast with the "wildness" of the natural branches. I will be happy to send you some photos. (the suggestions of not putting anything up there kind of wastes the beautiful architecture of your entry, I see it as an opportunity to make a statement.
July 17, 2013 at 6:22pm   
Ashley Judge
Photos would be great! Right now I'm really disliking the clock & easel. I think some colorful pots of varying sizes with rustic stems would help create a more rustic feel. The picture window thing I love & is an antique black, which isn't going with anything else. I plan to replace the cheap rug with a larger rug with richer colors.
July 17, 2013 at 6:32pm     
fredm51
I would not take down the things on the ledge except the clock and replace it with similar to the two things on the right except as tall as the clock. Without that stuff I sure it would look bare and no interest when coming down the stairs. The area above the door screams for nicer molding, check entryways for ideas. The table and mirror need to be updated, maybe a bombe chest in oak or oak with a nice burl veneer and mirror that would match the chest.
July 17, 2013 at 6:54pm   
JoAnna Greene
I have just joined this forum and will be happy to send photos to you Ashley...dawnonthebeach@yahoo.com, meanwhile I have always depended on teenage intervention, now I have to figure out how to attach photos to my comments so I can show Ashley.
July 17, 2013 at 8:10pm   
JoAnna Greene
help me guys, help me attach photos to my suggestions
July 17, 2013 at 8:16pm   
KylenShar Reid
It should say attach photo from: and then give options of library or camera, so if its already in your photo library click on library or if u are on your phone and can take a picture click on camera- hope that helps
July 18, 2013 at 11:02am   
anne dee
Please, why do you believe you need to put anything on that ledge above the door.? Not every available space needs to be filled. It would be redundant. It's confusing to the sight line.
A console table with mirror and chair and you're all set. ;)
July 18, 2013 at 11:26am     
JoAnna Greene
Thanks Kylen, Im going to try to send Ashley a pic of my idea for the ledge, the one I have shows a mantle treatment but on a larger scale it would look fabulous on the ledge.
July 18, 2013 at 4:12pm   
papillon2
Well, I personally LIKE the clock on the ledge. It's big enough to make a statement, and adds interest as you come down the stairs. I vote to keep it!
July 18, 2013 at 4:42pm   
Nothing on the ledge. A statement chandelier, dark stained door (like the stair rail), and oushak runner:
July 18, 2013 at 5:03pm     
the essentials inside
Congratulations on your new home! It is beautiful.

I agree - paint the door, nothing on the ledge & a statement chandelier. I would also move the demi lune. If you need a table, you can put one to the right of the door. I also think the mirror you have right now is too small for the space.

What is the room on the left side? Can you upload a pic of the view of that room from the foyer?

Lyvonne
July 18, 2013 at 7:37pm   
Help needed for an interesting & stubborn entryway....help please.
We are in the process of updating our new home - the...
Help i need some help defining this entryway.
There really is no room for much since you walk right...
Need help selecting the size and style of front entryway chandelier!
I have a two story center hall colonial, 10 year old...
Need help with entryway!
My entryway is boring and hard to decorate because...
Need help for my foyer/entryway
Hello. We live in an old wood house in Boston (1903)....
Need help with living room layout
Just moved into this place and need decor ideas for...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Covered in ivy! Gardening/landscaping tips??
Hello houzzers! We are attempting to give our yard...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Kitchen table ideas for kitchen renovatiion
Looking for recommendations on kitchen table/breakfast...