Please share ideas for my living room/kitchen/dining area
Marilee LenonJuly 17, 2013
Any suggestions/input would very much be appreciated. I do apologize but these aren't the most updated pictures. I've added some glass turquoise candle holders on the console table on each end and 3 quatrefoil/moraccan shaped mirrors between the two windows in the dining area.

My parents moved in with me so they won't let go of their asian inspired dining table and china cabinet so I don't know how to blend it in better with everything else since MOST of the stuff I have is contemporary/modern? I tried turquoise seat cushions on the dining chairs but turquoise doesn't blend in well with the reddish tint of the wood. THANKS!
JoAnna Greene
I think Asian and contemporary go beautifully together. (Kudos to you for honoring your parents.) what you need is color on your walls! For now just do a statement wall so you can see how it pops all of that white. I would paint the wall behind the TV only for now. Try Benjamin Moore color "rhythm and blues" 758. It is just a little warm pop of turquoise on a contained wall...those gorgeous paper lanterns will show up and the black furniture will be rooted instead of "floating" on their own. Find your closest Ben Moore dealer and ask for contractors grade eggshell. It might cost a little more than your Home Depot staple, but Ben Moore paint covers better and cleans beautifully...less work for you all the way around.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 6:46PM
chemayne
I used to have one of those asian dining tables too so here are some thoughts on how to make the best of what you have and still stay contemporary and modern.

Lounge - love the hits of turquoise but the table under the mounted tv needs replacing.
The stuff on console also needs a new home. Consider sourcing a chinese altar table to sit under the tv.(see example below). Sylvia Martin
Ananda Serving Table

Dining -These dining sets come in a rosewood and show wear and tear easily. I sanded and painted mine glossy black (sorry no digital pictures) and covered the chairs in an oriental fabric in orange. If you choose to keep them in its original rosewood colour, orange seat cushions will also suit the tones. here is a suggestion of both oranges and grays that will also complement your turquoise touches
Big Paisley Fabric
Bardot, Rouge
Print Fabrics
Bansuri / Slate

Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:30PM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree that you can mix Asian with contemporary and have a great look. The suggestion to pain the table a black is great but I would consider a mat finish and a flat for the paint. The rug is small and you could stand to use a larger one and perhaps something with some colour like the one below. Drapery panels on either side of the window or larger (longer) art or put one on top of the other on the left side as you have the plant on the right side.

It is nice that you are considering your parents in all of this.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:54PM
roro95
Tv needs to be lowered
    Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 8:44PM
Need help in all areas of the Living Room/Dining Room
I like outdoor colors,light colored walls and white...
onlylooking
ghingalls
Please help with my small living/dining room
I live in a semi-detached home and have a condo-sized...
cdubbz
Please help! Living Room /DiningRoom & Kitchen ALL in one space
We just bought a new dining room and living room set!...
acarrazana721
PLEASE HELP. Small Living Room Dining Room combination IS IT POSSIBLE?
Need dural living/dining in a small space. The area...
pipsqueaky
what will be best look for media center?
Planning on a 50 inch wall mounted tv- above at least...
house2514
Thoughts on the ceiling?
I want to paint the ceiling red in this great room....
oofieb
Countertop conundrum!!
I'm so frustrated with countertop shopping. I knew...
Kriste Kalk_Ross
Awkward Entryway Decor Advice
We just purchased this home and the attached picture...
maryb56
Need color advice for entryway, stairs and hallway
Preparing to paint entry, hallway and stairs. Thinking...
adrienneham