Corner space problem
joyzzz
After renovating I have a small space between a window and column that I'm struggling to make work.(see photos 1,2,3). I was hoping to make it a cosy nook with a comfy chair or perhaps a relaxing place to read a book. The window and doors open out a magnificent view, so would like to take advantage of that. This space is part of a larger area which has a sitting area and dining area nearby - so I'm finding it difficult to separate the spaces. The kitchen area is separated by a stair, do that's easy. I've attached photos for the whole room for perspective. (Photo 4)
houssaon
It is hard to see if the window goes right up to the wall or if there is space to put in shelves. But you could put a comfortable chair and ottoman with a side table and lamp in the area. Face the chair on the diagonal toward the glass doors, so you can see the view out the windows.Vibrant Family Room - Grace Home Design, A mix of old and new to create a comfortable living area, and West Chelsea Loft.
July 18, 2013 at 12:09am     
linlac
Love houssaon's idea of shelves. You could use the shelves for your books and have a chair, small table and lamp in front of the window.
July 18, 2013 at 3:02am   
joyzzz
There may not be enough space between window and wall to fit in a book Shelf. Have a look at these new close up photos. Amy alternative ideas?
July 18, 2013 at 3:44am   
indianpatti
You could have a custom bench put in ...
July 18, 2013 at 4:06am     
Ed
Hi joyzzz, Congrats on your remodel ! Nice wooden floor. Just enjoy the space of the nook. No need to "add" anything to make it "work" -- it already works, as a nice space. Modern Bedroom
Skyline
Minnetonka Modern
Nob Hill Condominium
July 18, 2013 at 4:07am     
Mark
There are shelving units that would fit into your corner and make the most of this dead space.
July 18, 2013 at 4:16am     
linlac
Bookshelf won't work. I would change the table to one that has open shelves or drawers. Keep it small not covering window or coming out past the wall. Stack your two prints above that and add a reading lamp. Angle your chair on the blank wall toward the window. You can play around with existing furniture pieces to get the right proportions. It will make a great reading nook.
July 18, 2013 at 4:32am     
andrewdesigninc
@Mark, love the bookshelves!
July 18, 2013 at 4:38am   
linlac
Like Mark's shelving idea also. You could use a floor lamp beside your chair if you went with something like that. I like the ones that can be hung low.
July 18, 2013 at 4:38am   
KShoa
Put a tall statue there.
July 18, 2013 at 9:16am   
anne dee
something like this would be interesting (chair optional)
Decor by Jennifer Inc
glass shelving(or other) for interesting items to display(chair optional)
Wells Hill
framed pics/photos of family?
Stern Turner Home
standing sculpture
Pierre and Simone: Montreal, QC
July 18, 2013 at 9:28am   
tiabella
Be a good spot for a nice plant as well.
July 18, 2013 at 10:25am     
house4mjh
The glass shelves with objects would benefit from the light from the window during the day. At night, overhead recessed lights shining down on special objects/plants would be a dramatic feature as one enters the hall. The glass shelves allow a chair to be placed comfortably in the area. Another thought is to hang the prints vertically on the wall with the light switch. A tall plant stand could be placed barely in front of the small nook and place a tall plant, glass sculpture, or bronze sculpture or another object with strong vertical lines on the stand. This simple arrangement would not detract from the outside view yet be a stunning feature.
July 18, 2013 at 1:49pm     
joyzzz
Thanks or you incredible ideas. Most appreciated!
July 18, 2013 at 2:53pm     
Try putting a real plant in the niche for the great light and a chair for reading or enjoying the view.
July 18, 2013 at 3:14pm   
Kitchen ceiling can placement - help please!
The answer to this is probably some where in the 265...
Floor plan Critique, L-shape house
Greetings, We are about to pull the trigger on a new...
Help arranging furniture in living room
Hi, I can't decide what's the best furniture arrangement...
Need help with curb appeal
This is my grandparents home that I will moving into...
Kitchen remodel - do I need two ovens?
I am in the process of designing my kitchen remodel....