Landscape help for contemporary home
charleewill
I need suggestions for landscaping rock or mulch And types of plants that will work with the style of my house
I need low maintainence and I live in central Indiana.
I am looking at Dapple blend rock or flint. These match both siding and stone wall in front.
Russian sage, knockout rose, hydrangea and boxwood..
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
If your interested in a 2D drawing you can visit my idea book and see plenty of before and afters . We can place these plants right on your property . Very affordable.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
Norma Sassone
It looks like a really nice plan! I am assuming that the area in front of the shed roof is pretty shady all day for your hydrangeas, correct? Also, remember that in the winter they will look pretty scraggly. You might want to go with azaleas or rhodies ( if it indeed is shady) or if sunny, perhaps some tall grasses.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 7:52AM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Have you thought about opening up the landscaping to emphasize the contemporary lines of your house ?Some examples below.The Woods Outback
Stefani House
Menlo Oaks Residence
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 8:31AM
HI -- charlee--- Your planting plan is too much for you wanting low maintenance . The house is very modern with clean lines and a large expanse of roof . This is what I see for your house . Three tall slender (same)trees (like the cypress in Italy ) in a row along the right to off set that large triangle wall , then a row of full top trees (same) across the front roof line , like the crab apple or dropmore lindens or something evergreen for winter interest. Trees that have a full top to show in front of that large roof.Then cover the beds around with a ground cover or mulch. I think those shiny black round stones -- the kind you see in Asian gardens would be perfect , or a dark grey pea gravel. Or use a ground cover plant .Use a good layer of landscape cloth under. There - nice and clean and modern and tailored . Now for adding some flowers , you could add some matching (same ) big pots in between the trees and also have more of the same on the other side of the entrance walk .PS: - Widen the walk way to the width of the front steps , with a stone or brick trim down the sides , so that reduces the flower beds a bit . Like a black large block style .
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 9:56AM
anne dee
the addition of lighting along the wall on the right would look nice also

2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:05AM
RA Design Group, LLC
How about using tall grasses? Low maintenance. Many different types to choose from. They would be the perfect counter point to the architectural geometry of your house.
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:25AM
charleewill
I like the idea of using grasses and think it would fit the house better. Do I do all grasses ) and what kind) or have flowering plants as well? (And what kind)
I want to keep things low in front of the stone stone wall were the roof is low. Do I do taller tree's leading to the front door or keep plants low there too?
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:27AM
charleewill
Love the idea of the lighting and widening the walkway with stone!
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 11:29AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
The beauty of our 2D drawings is it's you place .The roof line in this home is taking all the attention . I soften it up with Thunja giants arborvitae added some color and texture for some interest .You can do lots more with this house but you don't want to cover up to much of the modern lineal lines of the home, that is the main focal point.
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 12:23PM
charleewill
Everything beautiful home designs-- interesting ideas. What is the red?
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 12:32PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Clematis if you get morning sun.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 12:57PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Bougainvillea is better, but I don't know your zone .
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 1:01PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
This is not a hobby for me the above drawing is just a small demo . I have been in business well over 30 years and I use the 2D or 3D renderings with my clients the last 10 years they love the fact that we could add these type of elements to there home providing them with a visual rendering. I am no spring chicken though and can't continue physically building and setting stones like I use to .figure I start leaving this to the next generation but I love to draw . I stumbled across houzz while searching for a shower unit for a client ,she did not want to pay big name brand prices as she was doing major renovations . I thought here is a place I can offer my drawings at a good price and still do what I love to do. Here is my dilemma in order to keep the prices offered on houzz I would need at least 3 drawings a day .The drawings vary in price some $40 other 60 up to 199.00 depending on level of detail. The drawings are not architectural drawings nor are they plans but conceptual drawings to help you decide if what your thinking of doing is really what you want to do. Glad you liked the drawing charleewill.
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 5:05PM
Need help with easy to maintain landscaping ideas on Contemporary home
Looking to add some curb appeal through landscaping...
Molly Lewis
HELP! Need to transitionalize my contemporary home.
What can I do take the contemporary out of this new...
joelcoqui
Need help - Contemporary Home exterior
Hello everyone! I'm hoping to get some help with the...
Nick
Need help for a joinery unit for living area in contemporary home
We have a wall in our living room which requires a...
joinerylj
Need help on our flooring materials for a contemporary home
I cannot decide whether to replace all of my flooring...
jsebesta
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Kitchen remodeling
My sister just moved bought a house which already has...
melmelia
Decorating advice for my dining room!
Hello, We have just moved in to a house and need...
Faye Reinstein-Zigron
Benjamin Moore Gray Owl Light Blue?
I'm having trouble getting a consistent color using...
keako