Coffee+Side Tables - What would you do to finish this room
dknishuster
Trying to decide - coffee table and one side table between chairs? Leather ottoman? WWYD to finish up, accessorize this room? What color of wood considering the heavy amount of blond maple in adjoining dining room? I'm ready to shop!
Thanks!!
dberwic
Coffee table and side table between chairs. No more blond wood. Stainless, brushed nickel,or .black iron. An upholstered ottoman w/ a pattern fabric would be nice also, need some color. I would say no to the leather ottoman.
July 18, 2013 at 9:12am        Thanked by dknishuster
I would bring the furniture just a little bit closer together and then use a coffee table for the sofa, an end table between the two chairs, and possibly an appropriately-sized ottoman with one of the leather chairs (because I like to have somewhere to put my feet up). You also need some standing lamps.
July 18, 2013 at 9:13am        Thanked by dknishuster
dknishuster
Agreed! NO more light wood - feeling trapped by it as it is! Moving closer, easy. Thanks - if anyone has any cute tables that you've seen let me know.
July 18, 2013 at 9:18am   
Gantt's Decorating
I know this kind of room, much longer than wide. If it is possible to face the sofa toward the fireplace and put one chair on each end, I would do it. The sofa and chair arms can touch on the corner. This gives you a compact intimate grouping. If the chairs won't fit one on each side, I would put a sofa table behind the sofa and face the two chairs toward the dining room. Get two smaller chairs to put on each end of the sofa facing the fireplace. The second option gives you two conversation areas. Another thing I have done that can be cool is to put a desk or extra dining chair at an angle at the sofa table. Then the sofa table can serve as a writing desk from one side and a sofa table from the other. Also you need bigger and more important art over the mantle. I did't address coffee tables or end tables because I think you need to get a better furniture arrangement before even considering tables. Hope this helps,Bill
July 18, 2013 at 9:37am     
dknishuster
Bill, like this? Not bad. And yes, add mantle and art and accessories to list. Happy to take suggestions on THAT too! :-)
July 18, 2013 at 9:44am     
Maker & Moss
I agree with the comments above..move the furniture a bit closer. This way all seats can use the coffee table (great for when you have company), but also put a side table between the 2 chairs to break it up. A few great colorful accessories will bring life to the room.
July 18, 2013 at 9:51am      Thanked by dknishuster
Yes, like this arrangement, but can you put a chair on either side of the fireplace and pull the sofa in so it is about 5’ from the hearth? Need to get it arranged before you buy.
July 18, 2013 at 9:52am        Thanked by dknishuster
dknishuster
judyg - that one is my fave yet!
July 18, 2013 at 9:59am     
How about two (flat top) garden stools for the chairs?
White Lili Punched Drum Stool

An oval or rectangular coffee table that incorporates both white and the color of your fire place surround?
Iron And Stone Oval Coffee Table

And a bit more of that great coral accent you have chosen: four of these lined up on the mantel.

Underwater Sea Coral Collection Series C by Pixie Pixels
July 18, 2013 at 10:01am        Thanked by dknishuster
dknishuster
I like the idea of white-ish. Was just looking at this on west elm. Thanks - wanted to use coral/orange to accent since I have the custom Sticks table (anniversary gift - our name are in it so it has to stay).
July 18, 2013 at 10:21am     
I'd add a round glass coffee table, not more leather. Ground this seating arrangement with some color in the form of an area rug large enough that all the furniture can have their front feet on it. Pull the color up to the windows with stationary floor to ceiling panels.
Stein World Verona Round Metal with Wood and Glass Top Coffee Table
Round Glass Top Metal Coffee Table
July 18, 2013 at 10:25am        Thanked by dknishuster
dknishuster
Decoenthusiaste - I thought about an area rug but we have carpet - is that an ok look still?
July 18, 2013 at 10:29am     
Gantt's Decorating
DK, Don't you just love it. You still have room to face a second sitting area facing the dining room or the sofa/desk idea. Always happy when suggestions are appreciated. Bill get a chance check out my blog at ganttsdecorating .com
July 18, 2013 at 12:21pm   
abbyjean
I know I am late to this, but wanna try one more way? There is just something about the back of a couch that says to keep out. I know a sofa table softens that message a little. It just seems like the couch would FIT in front of the window......not all the way again the wall/window, but along that area. Then no back that stops people from the dining area or the entry way. AND it has a good view in to the room.
Could one chair go next to the fireplace, on the dining room side? AND the other in that nice little alcove area? One chair could have an ottoman that way, too. And plenty of room for a coffee table, too.
July 18, 2013 at 12:26pm     
dknishuster
Welcome to the party abbyjean - let me go try and I will post some shots!
July 18, 2013 at 12:36pm   
abbyjean
Well, listen to you! Thank you!!! I love a good party!
July 18, 2013 at 12:37pm     
dknishuster
Felt a little off balance with LS and chair on the same side and one on DR side by FP. Here are judyg and abbyjean arrangements - we are getting close! Thinking oval coffee table and arc lamp next...
July 18, 2013 at 12:42pm     
dknishuster
Not sure sofa table will fit behind LS. This room is SMALL - but I do love the look of them and the are so easy to accessorize...
July 18, 2013 at 12:43pm   
abbyjean
I do not think a sofa table will work with the LS in front of the window....were you set on one? I love the LS there! It fits that window! Next.....will you try one chair in the corner like in the other pic and one on the other opening side? I suggest sliding the LS back just a bit, so when I look at that pic, none of the fireplace is covered up like it is now.
July 18, 2013 at 12:46pm   
Carpet is just flooring with no echo! Of course you can add an area rug! It will make for all the fun here. Advising art for the mantel too. Mirrors have the effect of doubling whatever is reflected in them, and therefore need to reflect a view, a great chandelier or a wonderful piece of art. Replace the mirror with art if you can. Otherwise, hang it vertically to lift that side of the space to the same height as the window do. Then put art or a chandy for it to reflect.
July 18, 2013 at 12:47pm     
dknishuster
Let's talk mantle - replace mirror with round, maybe burst shape? I have a thing for circles, need to get the third circle from Crate and Barrel that goes with the 2 already up there.
July 18, 2013 at 12:47pm     
dknishuster
abbyjean - so one chair to the left of the FP as you are facing it and where to try chair #2?
July 18, 2013 at 12:50pm   
abbyjean
Yes, one chair to the left. I thought, at first, about putting it over by the table and mirror, but what about you put it by an arm on the LS by the entry and the two chairs face each other at that angle. Make sense?
July 18, 2013 at 12:52pm   
dknishuster
doesn't really fit on same side/arm of LS. Sticks out kind of funky
July 18, 2013 at 12:54pm   
abbyjean
So there is no room for it on the right of the couch as you look toward the window?
July 18, 2013 at 12:56pm   
abbyjean
Sorry that did not work. You have had the couch every position there is for it now. Which one did you like? I cannot think of another way to put the chairs with the couch in front of the window. I went back and kind of like it the way you started then, with the couch blocking the dining room instead of the entry. I might pull the chairs in closer to each other and the couch and chairs a little closer together. Definitely a table between the chairs and maybe the lamp you have on the table already, as not sure you need a lamp right there. I like the circular coffee table to really play up the circles you love on the mantle. .....and iron legs on it. Is the third circle smaller or larger?
July 18, 2013 at 1:04pm   
dknishuster
No, it sticks out into the entry to the room. I tried to push the LS toward the FP but then it feels off balance. I tried the chairs angled a bit so there would be more room for a side table between them and it feels more open to the DR a bit. (I will back up and show you the whole room so you can see better)
July 18, 2013 at 1:05pm     
abbyjean
When I look at the LR from the dining room that way, I like what I see. I can also understand how the chair was in the way by the couch. Now the table and lamp will not work as I can see there is not much room there to get by. Would that table and lamp work to the right of the window? A small circle table between the chairs????
July 18, 2013 at 1:09pm     
abbyjean
I just looked again in your DR and I see a little square table in the corner.....would it work between the chairs?
July 18, 2013 at 1:10pm   
abbyjean
Can you close in the angles of the chairs just enough to walk between the chair and the table if you leave it there?
July 18, 2013 at 1:11pm   
abbyjean
BIG tall plant in the corner of the LR behind where the chair is, on the fireplace wall?
July 18, 2013 at 1:12pm   
dknishuster
Yes, that table will work - cute little custom piece we bought in Napa and it kind of hides out!
July 18, 2013 at 1:14pm   
abbyjean
NO hiding out for a Napa table!!!
July 18, 2013 at 1:15pm     
abbyjean
LOVE how your pillows tie in with the table runner!!!
July 18, 2013 at 1:15pm      Thanked by dknishuster
anne dee
i'm jumping in here but the chairs on either side of the FP look good as judyg suggested a while back.t he problem showing in yr pic is they are too close to the wall.
Pull them away form the wall as seen in this inspiration pic

July 18, 2013 at 1:16pm     
abbyjean
Pulling away will make that arrangement feel better, too.
July 18, 2013 at 1:18pm   
dknishuster
Hi Anne! Yes, easy tweak and thanks for the pic. The hubs isn't crazy about walking into the room to the back of the LS - I don't mind. What are your thoughts vs having it perpendicular to the FP?
July 18, 2013 at 1:20pm   
No matter where you position the sofa, except in front of the window, the back will show. I would rather see the back from the hallway than from the dining area. If you find a great console, a skinny one and put a lovely piece on it, that will help make the back of it more interesting.
the orpin group, interior design

This should work as it is only 10” deep.
Foundry Console Table
New Root Candelabra
July 18, 2013 at 1:26pm     
chemayne
There is better flow (walk through) when you arranged the armchairs angled in beside the FP facing the LS. You need an area rug (large enough to sit 4-6inches under all furniture pieces) to tie in this comfortable conversation zone. A round ottoman in front of the LS and console table would be your next step.
July 18, 2013 at 1:30pm     
dknishuster
And now we shop! Coffee table and rug first up...
July 18, 2013 at 1:31pm   
Suggestion: keep the rug in the tones of the rug under and your leather. Otherwise, the rug will look as if it is flaoting. Use your color accents up.

July 18, 2013 at 1:37pm     
anne dee
in answer to yr question with the 2 chairs perpendicular to the sofa in my opinion this arrangement is stiff.
With the chairs in front/side of the of the FP lends itself to a cosier feel and ease of conversation.
A sofa table is an excellent idea for lamps (free up floor space) and for a display of a favourite piece.
Good luck and have fun shopping!!
July 18, 2013 at 1:39pm     
dknishuster
so area rug in tones, not as accent?
July 18, 2013 at 1:42pm   
Great Atlantic Pools, Spas and Patio
I'm terrible with furniture placement without knowing all of the dimensions. I think my husband and I spent two months measuring and shopping for the perfect couch for our layout. So I'll throw my two cents in for accessories.

A large rug will do wonders to help define the sitting area as a separate space. Seeing that you have a very modern light fixture (which I love) and a more country table, the Ziggy I think would be perfect. It is neutral but the stripes add interest without being overly feminine or masculine. Something similar to the bailey chest would look adorable flanking the fireplace, it has great lines and brings in a touch of whimsey and color and always that extra storage everyone always ends up needing. The Callahan Mirror is just loved because of the texture and finally the Latares Bookcase could work as a sofa table.
https://www.jossandmain.com/Softly-Patterned-Ziggy-Rug~NLO2234~E5775.html
July 18, 2013 at 1:43pm   
dknishuster
Thanks Rebecca - LOVE JossandMain - have never purchased from them -yet. Yes, house is a blend of old and new. Build in 1996 - more traditional style - plus 13 years later (married) who likes what they did that long ago?! Tastes change, updating as we go! Hubs replaced the old ugly chandelier with the drum style for my bday this year.
July 18, 2013 at 1:50pm   
anne dee
should you consider a sofa table check out these battery operated LED lamps which won't require an outlet thus resulting in no cord to trip over

July 18, 2013 at 2:11pm     
chemayne
judyg has suggested a lovely neutral rug for the living room. Here are a couple more to kick it up a notch picking up on your hints of orange. Your brown leather set is very classic and goes with any colour scheme. With these rug suggestions, you now get to add green or blue accessories as well. Happy shopping!
Driftwood Design of Outdoor Rug
Moderna San Tropez Bold Paisleys Orange Rug
Handmade Tufted Eastern Orange Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Poeme Corsica Amber Glow Oriental Rug by Jaipur Rugs
July 18, 2013 at 2:52pm     
Great Atlantic Pools, Spas and Patio
I may have a slight addiction to Joss and Main, I have to check out the website at least once a day just in case something magically goes on sale. However I believe I saw a nice wine cooler tucked away in the dining room. I found this a few months ago and thought it was one of the coolest pieces ever.

This obviously is more of a DIY piece but it would definitely be a statement plus a good reason to buy and drink more wine.
July 18, 2013 at 3:11pm     
Norma Sassone
Now that your furniture is placed nicely for conversation, how about a very large ottoman with a tray placed on top when you serve company or without the tray to put your feet up? or you could go with a couple of native American style "pouf" ottomans, also.
July 18, 2013 at 3:27pm   
Stamps Design Services
I think the chairs in front of the fireplace, like in the image (ignore extra pieces in that example), makes better use of space than sitting in front of an entry way... Here are some glass tables and an ottoman from Pier One you might want to consider. One is a sofa table that would work well behind the sofa, to hold a lamps as well as decorative items. I like metal tables, because they go with so many fabrics, colors and most styles. I think these would work well with the style in the dining room furniture... :-)
July 18, 2013 at 7:18pm     
Place sofa under window place 2 chairs across from sofa. Don't angle. Place big table with lamp in corner next to sofa. Add panels tp window just n ends. Under them add bamboo blinds. Home Depot in a dark color. Panels can be a print. A chevon print. N yellow or orange . Add same color to sofa and chairs. Add large art piece over firepl. Bold colors. 5" above top of Af FP. Coffee table square 36" center.
July 18, 2013 at 7:28pm        Thanked by dknishuster
Art can be 40x40 mirror put in entry. Add tall wood candlesticks to coffee table. a bowl fill with green apples. Add a color accent to firepl, a tall pot would work in opposite corner next to firepl add a very large potted palm in silk. Ck TJ Max also good for art and accessories.
July 18, 2013 at 7:32pm   
abbyjean
Loving that your hints include some of mine.....always a good feeling! There is a pic above, which I am sure you have seen. One has them angled and one has them straight. Just curious...how far apart do you see the chairs when they are straight?
July 18, 2013 at 7:34pm   
On window panels, go to ceiling and extend pass window by 6" each side. Use black iron rod. If you use bamboo that will go just above window top. Carry panels to other windows too.
July 18, 2013 at 7:34pm   
abbyjean
LOVE the window treatment suggestions, too........
July 18, 2013 at 7:35pm   
abbyjean
When you get on a roll, you go! AND such details given........WOW! I love it!
July 18, 2013 at 7:36pm   
On wall where table is now. Add a small chest type in a color like red, or dark wood with mirror fronts. Z Galleries has one see on line. Add mirror from FP over it. Use like a bar. Add glasses and wine bottles to top hang mirror 5-6" above top of chest. Vertical. Next to sofa add a mirrored end table with a tall lucite lamp with white shade. Z Galleries has tables. And lamp.
July 18, 2013 at 7:39pm     
All woods thoughout house do not have to match. Mix it up. Coffee table at Z Galleries in glass is perfect. Use glass and mirrors to bring interest to so much brown furn. No table between chairs once you move won't need it.
July 18, 2013 at 7:42pm     
On mantel. Keep circle but move together to one end. Add a tall pot in color and no family pic. They should be in a bedroom.keep simple.
July 18, 2013 at 7:44pm     
Stamps Design Services
Oh yes, add draperies...a room with out them too often looks unfinished... The ones below are from Kohl's :-)
July 18, 2013 at 7:45pm     
anne dee
@abbyjean Mr. travisinteriors is very good. I am always impressed how quickly he can put a room together.
And he does it so well, don't you think
July 18, 2013 at 8:18pm   
abbyjean
SOOOO well! I would love to just see a room that all of his advice was taken in and just marvel at it!!! I know I would be first in line to get that for a room of mine!
July 18, 2013 at 8:37pm     
dknishuster
WOOHOO! Just home from baseball and you guys are on FIRE! Love the suggestions - thank you all so much for weighing in! Drapes - adding to list!
July 18, 2013 at 8:50pm   
dknishuster
travisinteriors - you seem to have quite the reputation! How did you know I have been coveting chevron all day?!
July 18, 2013 at 8:52pm   
abbyjean
Not only can he decorate rooms, but he reads minds, too! Watch out! :)
July 18, 2013 at 8:55pm     
LB Interiors
Just adding that I like the sofa near the window and two chairs opposite the sofa.
July 18, 2013 at 10:27pm   
dknishuster
Ordered the rug judyg suggested - should be here mid week. Tried drapes but 84" isn't long enough. Longer ones may have to be custom. Still on the hunt for a perfect coffee table and then ART to go over the FP. Post anything cute that you see that has my oranges, browns, etc!
July 20, 2013 at 3:14pm     
LB Interiors
There are ready made drapes at 95" long. Will they work for you?
July 20, 2013 at 4:13pm   
dknishuster
I think so LB! What do you guys think of this cute Coffee T? Feel like that needs to be the next purchase then the small cabinet Travis suggested. Dying to accessorize but want to get the big stuff in place first.
July 20, 2013 at 4:59pm     
dknishuster
This one is more minimalist - not sure if I love the mirrored top above - was thinking glass...
July 20, 2013 at 5:14pm     
LB Interiors
I think the coffee table needs to be large. 48-52" The one you posted is nice and like the design, just too small.
July 20, 2013 at 5:41pm   
dknishuster
Let's vote - I found these 2 at Dania today.
July 21, 2013 at 12:12pm     
Kim Uccellini
I think you need some color in a fabric covered ottoman and a sisal rug to break up all that brown.
July 21, 2013 at 12:26pm   
dknishuster
Totally agree! Once all the big pieces are in I am going to accessorize with bright colors in throw pillows, drapes, and accessories.
July 21, 2013 at 12:48pm   
dknishuster
Decided on glass coffee table just need to pick shape and style
July 21, 2013 at 12:49pm     
dknishuster
Hmmmm
July 21, 2013 at 2:10pm   
LB Interiors
I think I like the curves of the oval design coffee table that is also repeated in the iron frame. It helps soften the furniture's bulky harder lines. It also creates an easy access into the room from all directions without sharp corners.
July 21, 2013 at 2:36pm     
dknishuster
Mapped out square vs rectangle (oval similar size to rectangle). Didn't buy the orange cabinet - too much commitment - want to be able to change all accessories anytime. Love all the turquoise and lime green out there too much. @abbyjean @travisinteriors?
July 21, 2013 at 3:27pm   
LB Interiors
I still like the oval.
July 21, 2013 at 3:39pm     
anne dee
I posted this pic cause I love this room!

July 21, 2013 at 3:58pm     
dknishuster
That's the way I am leaning too LB. Hubs prefers rectangle/square. I usually win (tho I did let him pick the furniture!)
July 21, 2013 at 4:08pm     
dknishuster
anne dee - I love his work - so gorgeous! Yay Portland!
July 21, 2013 at 5:06pm   
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Sorry haven't read all of this, but I would put the hand tufted wool rug with the simple large graphic design Chemaynes post above (4 days ago). As the large graphic balances well with the scale of the furniture and THEN, I would decide on all the smaller pieces ie pillows pictures etc. I think at that point I would only bring in the orange accents as needed and no more People have a habit of overdoing a color statement. Like "Do you get it?!!!??" Yes we get it, leaves us wanting more, not less. Just a thought
July 22, 2013 at 8:58am   
dknishuster
Thanks Mary! Rug ordered. The one Judyg suggested. Trying that one first. Loved the large scale pattern. On the hunt for a coffee table. Def glass/metal. Leaning toward oval. Thoughts? Then lamps.
July 22, 2013 at 9:03am   
Yes, I agree on glass, the cute little too small round one - I like the look as far as how it goes with furniture, but agree with LB it needs to be larger. I do like the idea of the large oval as she had suggested so that it friendlier to entering the seating area. Don't care for the last oval glass too much as the legs seem a little too thin to offset the mass of the furniture. For what it is worth (I know I am late on this post)
July 22, 2013 at 9:27am     
dknishuster
I know, the legs are too wimpy on that one. Still searching...saw this on Overstock today. I want it to have a little spunk...
July 22, 2013 at 9:44am     
A classic Noguchi-inspired table would combine the weight you need on the bottom to off-set your furniture with the rounded glass modern tabletop.

July 22, 2013 at 9:52am   
LB Interiors
I like feeny's table, just maybe not more brown. I like the weight tho.
July 22, 2013 at 10:06am   
It comes in many different finishes for the wood base, from a light natural finish to espresso or black. A number of different companies make it, so you can shop around for color and price.
July 22, 2013 at 10:07am     
I am thinking something like this if it is narrow enough. Feet are in, and out of the way, Nice view to the rug and the the curves compliment the lines in the rug.
http://onlycornerstone.com/wp-content/uploads/3760-603-Oval-Brass-Glass-Coffee-Table.jpg

Or this
http://onlycornerstone.com/wp-content/uploads/3760-626-Oval-Brass-Glass-Coffee-Table.jpg
July 22, 2013 at 10:13am     
dknishuster
You are on to something Feeny - hubs loves the Noguchi-inspired. LB, so far I found a good deal on one with black or walnut bottom. Decision, decision...
July 22, 2013 at 11:17am     
LB Interiors
Table, I'd go with the walnut and not black.
July 22, 2013 at 1:06pm     
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I have joined this conversation very late, so I apologize if I've missed something.
I'd like to go back to the space plan.
My preference is the arrangement with the chairs flanking the fireplace and the love seat facing them. (which judyg suggested) However, the balance is still slightly off and this is because 2 chairs opposite a sofa balance, 2 chairs opposite a love seat do not. For that reason, I would suggest you add an end table to both sides of the love seat. This will correct the awkward imbalance in the room I can see you are "fighting". Incorporate a small, low footstool in front of the fireplace (with a tray on it for serving).
You will eliminate the need for a coffee table in the centre of this small scale room, keeping things open and functional!
Good luck and have fun!
Caroline
July 22, 2013 at 8:43pm     
abbyjean
I agree with NOT buying the orange cabinet as it is a huge color commitment. Pillows are easy to switch if you change your mind. I do LOVE the room arranged this way as that couch was made for that window area.
July 23, 2013 at 7:24am     
dknishuster
I actually was toying with refinishing it but then I reminded myself that I have two kids, a full time job and would like to have some SUMMER! LOL! Good to see you back abbyjean! thanks!
July 23, 2013 at 7:41am     
craljh
I agree with abbyjean about the LS in front of the window and then you can take what's inside's advice and do end tables to balance the chairs. Pretty room
July 23, 2013 at 7:48am     
abbyjean
Do you have some table to just put at the ends right now to get a feel for that in the room?
July 23, 2013 at 8:18am   
dknishuster
McClure - you are funny! One room at a time! :-) This is the first room you see when you walk into our home so I feel like it needs to pop. Has to be liveable - we LIVE in our home - so not too formal. We happend to have a huge bonus room with attached music room upstairs. Let's talk when I am ready to re-do that one. Right now it is boys and toys! Pop-a-shot, giant flatscreen (Minecraft! UGH), all that.
July 23, 2013 at 8:21am   
abbyjean
You are BUSY, but I know how nice it will feel for you to walk inside that front door after work and SMILE at a job well done.
July 23, 2013 at 8:23am   
dknishuster
abbyjean- no, can you believe that, I don't own a single end table?! Actually, I was thinking about picking up a couple of those inexpensive garden stools. They are cute, small, inexpensive, can go indoor/outdoor so multipurpose. I like the arrangement both ways (LS facing FB and in the conversation area above). Knowing me, I will change it seasonally just like accessories. That is why I am being such a wimp about this dang coffee table. Has to work both ways. I don't know if I will do end talbles at all, maybe just small stool/stand types that are more versatile.
July 23, 2013 at 8:24am     
abbyjean
How nice to have options to change things around.....know I do that when the Christmas tree goes up. Those garden stools are great and I have been toying with getting one for our home, too.....and that add a splash of color just where you need it!!! i do like the idea of a cloth ottoman for some texture and pattern in the room....and a tray makes it work for a coffee table and kids can sit on it and hubby can put feet on it.
July 23, 2013 at 8:25am   
dknishuster
Cost Plus has them on sale - going to run over at lunch to check them out. Hoping to find some that are cream/white. Rug arrives tomorrow!
July 23, 2013 at 8:33am   
abbyjean
Can't beat a sale!!!
July 23, 2013 at 9:21am   
LB Interiors
I think gardens stools are too small for the scale of the furniture. The surface for placing a drink is fine but not large enough for a lamp or anything else. They may look awkward with the bulky sofa and chairs.
July 23, 2013 at 10:26am   
abbyjean
Wondering about "scootching" the love seat back toward the window a bit and maybe putting that table with the lamp to the right of the window.I know Travis said to put it in the corner by the couch, and you have it there, too, but if it went on the wall to the right, THAT could be the end table as far as height and a lamp goes....not for a drink, but a coffee table or ottoman will take care of that. THEN the lamp might look like it is there for a reason. THEN if you come home with two garden stools, try them together on the side of the fireplace in a fun little grouping there. Leave one empty and find something fun for the other........even a nice big green plant????
July 23, 2013 at 11:11am   
LB Interiors
I don't know if anyone has commented on the what to add to the fireplace wall. Maybe at some point you could add two low bookcases, one on each side. Artwork above them. If you need storage space, two matching cabinets would balance the wall.
July 23, 2013 at 11:46am   
dknishuster
I kinda want to do built ins like
. I know, a whole new can of worms!
July 23, 2013 at 5:13pm     
LB Interiors
I like it.
July 23, 2013 at 5:48pm   
dknishuster
The reality abbyjean is that my poor Sticks table really doesn't fit well in the room at all and the lamp doesn't go on it well. I don't like it by the FP soooo, still scooting it around. Once rug comes if it's cute I will try a couple more arrangements and get a move on on the coffee table. Hubs is still voting for Noguchi-inspired. (Nixed my $800 Crate and Barrel love that I found while shopping this week. Too spendy for him!) I found one with light wood. Like the walnut better but this may be better as far as weight goes...
July 24, 2013 at 7:50am     
abbyjean
Just not sure what the color of the legs would look like on that table with your dark furniture, which I LOVE! Did you not like the table and lamp BY THE WINDOW?
July 24, 2013 at 8:37am   
dknishuster
Haven't tried it by the window yet. Always comes down to these table legs!
July 24, 2013 at 8:43am   
abbyjean
I like how the orange on that table ties in to your room. AND the color of it works well with the mirror and mantel accessories. Maybe try it by the window without the lamp then????
July 24, 2013 at 8:47am   
dknishuster
It does match well. Ok, so moving to the right of the front window behind LS? Looks ok there. Working from home today so time to play!
July 24, 2013 at 8:52am   
abbyjean
Yes, to the right. I just picture it there and it gives some weight to that end of the room now. IF you save some money with the coffee table, would you have some to find some low bookshelves to put by the fireplace? I know they would not be built in, and that dream can come true later, but find a good fit and make it work now? Are you opposed to the idea of a cloth ottoman for some color? One more thought......that Napa table.....could it work to the left as an end table for the love seat?
July 24, 2013 at 8:59am   
dknishuster
Oh I am still buying a coffee table - just not the $800 one I like. If I spend half of that on one, I can justify new lamps, and art. Bwahahaha!
July 24, 2013 at 9:00am   
abbyjean
Working from home....good for you!!!
July 24, 2013 at 9:01am     
dknishuster
Haven't even looked at cloth ottomans - picking fabric = a whole new chore! (a fun one tho) I originally was thinking rectangle ottoman with a tray for drinks, etc but nixed it after a lot of suggestions were for glass.
July 24, 2013 at 9:04am   
abbyjean
Glass is good, but a fun orange tray on it works, too!!!
July 24, 2013 at 9:05am   
Stephanie Long
I would accent with art - pop of color and an interesting addition to the room. There is a new app ( find it at arttwo50.com) that lets you visualize original art on your own wall and compare to see what you like best. Really awesome work for 250$.
July 24, 2013 at 10:50am   
LB Interiors
You can use the light base table that you posted. It works with the dining table too.
July 24, 2013 at 12:18pm     
Design Matters
I would love to see the two chars squared parallel to the current location of the sofa, Rug with color, pattern, texture, even if more monochromatic as the coordination of the rest of the house is unknown. Panels at the windows, side table between the two chairs of interesting shape and obviously, coffee table, again of interest. I would also have you consider painting the kitchen cabinetry, putting slip covers over the maple chairs and add a piece of tinted glass to the table top to bring it more current, as well as painting the white mantle in the living room.
December 10, 2013 at 9:10am   
A glass. Round table for chairs. Of course bring them closer together. A orange ottoman square or round in a fabric. You need to lighten the room from so much brown. Some very colorful pillows in a design, hot pink and hot orange for chairs also.
December 10, 2013 at 1:45pm   
Instead of safe boring mirror. Go a bigger bold art piece. Over firepl. You play it safe. And that's not fun, in design.
December 10, 2013 at 1:46pm   
Remove family photos and just use rings on ends. On other tall pots in orange and another in white.
December 10, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Square off chairs not angled. Bring forward slightly. Put panels on ends only, go a metallic bronze color, satin full.
December 10, 2013 at 1:49pm   
Bring table on wall down towards opening and add a potted palm in that corner by dining rm. in dining add tall pots in accent color to table top and bowls and vases in same to china cabinet. Mix it up more.
December 10, 2013 at 1:51pm   
Remove runner. Add accent color to kitchen to tie all rooms together.
December 10, 2013 at 1:52pm   
I see from comments this is a on going post. Hope you find something.
December 10, 2013 at 1:54pm   
What is wall color called?
December 10, 2013 at 1:55pm   
Add a floor lamp to side of sofa on firepl side. A tall lamp on table between chairs. Find something different.
December 10, 2013 at 1:56pm   
Emerson Brothers, LLC. Home Remodeling
I would recommend custom shelving to both sides to make it look more full. You can add decorative items to the shelves to make it more personable. For a cheaper alternative, you can get store bought shelving as well.
December 10, 2013 at 2:08pm   
Paris Flea
How about going with a larger mirror above the fireplace. The scale seems off. Get a fabulous rug(larger rather than smaller as this will dictate how large or small a room will appear.) add a table between the chairs and you can have an ottoman made that can double as a table of sorts for a throw/magazines etc.)the ottoman can also serve as storage if you need) The room isn't too big so I would be concerned about adding too much furniture. Sometimes less really is more. Have the ottoman made with an amazing fabric with texture and drop in some accessories that incorporate those colors. If you like the pieces you have then consider moving the existing side table in between the chair and put a large plant or the perfect "it " piece where the table is currently. Checkout some chandeliers, I would do something in a metal to pull it together. You cant go wrong here as you have good taste . Hoping you have fun with your project and please post some after pictures! Paris
December 10, 2013 at 2:11pm   
Please tell me what company makes the coffee/side and console tables.
I like the look of the metal or wood with a wood shelf...
Coffee/Side tables
Where are the side tables used as coffee tables from?...
What kind of coffee table/ottoman do you think would work here?
Size? Color? Type? I never get it right! Any thoughts...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...
colours
Will it be nice if I have walnut kitchen and walnut...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...