What color should I paint this house, shutters?
skpickens
Buckstown Farms.
Warner Decor
If you want to brighten things up, i think white with blue shutters would be very suiting. I also like grey with black shutters, if you are going for a more chromatic, classic, look.
July 18, 2013 at 12:45pm   
Here's a good looking color for the clapboards, white trim and then a smoky green for the shutters.

July 18, 2013 at 12:54pm   
INSTUDIO
Take a look at Benjamin Moore Brazen #259 or Timson Green # CW-470
July 18, 2013 at 1:02pm   
Paul B. Showers
I think it's important to know what you hope for changing colors to achieve. Do you want to remain with period colors to retain a sort of historical reference? Are you looking to up date the home and give it a more contemporary feeling? Perhaps a glimpse at the neighborhood as well so that your house still remains in context yet conveys your own sense of style. If we had a bit more information we could really help you a great deal better. I could see the color combinations being lobbed at you forever without any sense of what you are looking to achieve. With that said I'd paint the body of the house a rich, deep charcoal grey, the trim a deep wine red and the shutters, window sashes and doors a deep teal sort of shade. I would upgrade the sign as well to tie it all together. That just happens to be a color scheme I have loved and wanted to use since I saw it at the Maker's Mark in Kentucky. You can see it on line and judge for yourself if that is a "jumping off point" for you to go even darker than you are now with a bolder contrast.
July 18, 2013 at 2:30pm   
De Martini/Arnott Painting Company, Inc.
Agree with pbsantiques--it really depends on what you're trying to achieve with your color scheme. If you wanted to go lighter and brighter, you could try something along the lines of the colors we used on a house in San Francisco. They seem to reflect the colors in your sign. Whatever you choose, it would be great to see the "after" version.
July 18, 2013 at 2:41pm     
skpickens
The house was built in 1863. It's the only old farm in the area. Surrounded by 1960 ranch style. The previous owner was very true to the period, inside and out. I've updated and lightened the inside quite a bit and was hoping to do the same for the outside. Thanks for all of your ideas. I've been stumped for quite some time!
July 18, 2013 at 5:22pm   
Paul B. Showers
Great info to go on. A white exterior with bold blue shutters and doors would provide a clean fresh appearance. If it feels a bit to sharply contrasted add a bit of medium grey trim to window sills and door surrounds. It's a warm home and it will really reflect you brightened up. Don't forget to paint the lamp post and perhaps it's time to nix the sign. Add some bold house numbers .
July 18, 2013 at 5:29pm   
INSTUDIO
INSTUDIO actually likes the dark color; it has the character of a historic home.
If you want a complete change look at the following Benjamin Moore combinations:

OPTION 1
House: Bassett Hall Green CW-480
Shutters: Silhuette AF-655
Door: Brazen 259

OPTION 2
House: Brick House Tan CW-145
Shutters: Fairview Taupe HC-85
Door: Timson Green CW-470

OPTION 3
House: Subtle AF-310
Shutters: Northampton Putty HC-89
Door: Parisian Red CSP-1170
July 19, 2013 at 7:22am      Thanked by skpickens
Ugly tile. What to do?
I think I'm going to blow out this bathroom next year...
Looking for a few opinions on my choice of sofa fabric please....
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on the site...
Property Line Disputes?
Ever have any issues with neighbors and property lines?...
Help with a bedroom
We just remodeled this bedroom. I love the bedding...
Door to Door Sales / Soliciting?
Do you get solicitors at your door in your neighborhood?...