Cornfield backyard
Kerri Daniels
We have a long narrow backyard. We have lived in our house 14 years and my husband is a farmer. He does not want anything to cover the cornfield. I have been praying for something I can do to enjoy my backyard. I don't even have a porch. Right now all it has is my daughters memorial tree in the center. Does anyone have any recommendations to have my beautiful retreat where I can go and feel relaxed? Thanks so much to anyone who answers. This picture is looking out by back door
Looks a lot like the backyard of my family's house in Indiana. I really love that view. Can you include a photo or two of the back of the house as well to get a better idea of how the yard intersects with it?
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:03PM
jmgg
My husband and I put up a pergola...made it ourselves out of 4 posts 4" and 10feet...then he put some 1x2 's across it...and I added a cheap concrete bench under it...it was a great retreat in the back of our FLorida yard that was basically a field too until it hit a natural bog/pond and then it turned into woods. You can get instructions on how to build one all over the place on the internet.
6 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:13PM
vkilpatrick
Your daughter's tree is lovely, so sorry for your loss. The shade under the tree looks like the perfect place for a picnic blanket or bench. Bring a book, a cold drink, and something bubbly to soak your feet in...a little piece of heaven close to your angel.
Perhaps you can build a path with stones that lead from your house to a small deck or platform. A water feature or a little pond would be lovely. A few fragrant perennials that will thrive in all that sunshine, and maybe some colorful pots and cushions made from outdoor fabric. A bird feeder to invite life and you'll have a place to find peace and relax.
17 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:23PM
Judy M
A nice deck or patio to sit on and enjoy the view of the cornfield, similar to vineyard views, isn't it?
5 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:24PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
This landscape ,deck, paver patio is in the middle of a corn field left and right of it . You can have your place if you want it.
16 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:36PM
Tammy Tate Kammerer
I love farmers and wives! I too had a memory tree for a child.... Sorry for your loss. Make a path to your tree. Expand the area around the tree and make a perineal garden. Add a bench. A pond, a gazebo, a fire pit? Bird feeder. Wind chime. Bird bath.
16 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:41PM
Judy M
A bed of perennials under the tree with a couple lounge chairs on a patio around the tree would enhance the beautiful tree.

4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 12:47PM
mousemaker
i love the cornfield view :) it looks like Wisconsin. love the fresh farm air :)
i agree that you can make a space to relax and enjoy your backyard without obstructing the view, and i also think it would be a good idea for both of you to have that space. It would be a place to reflect and to find peace because the pain of loss never really goes away.
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 1:00PM
motownmom
So sorry for your loss. I think planting a memorial tree is a wonderful thoughtful thing to do.

I agree with getting some flat larger stones to make a path to the tree from your home. If you dig down to place them, they won't have to be mowed around, they can be mowed over. Something like this stone that is 16" x 21" http://www.lowes.com/pd_477064-215-205247_0__?productId=4686291&Ntt=pavers+for+patio&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dpavers%2Bfor%2Bpatio&facetInfo=

Then I would probably make a small patio around the tree, maybe in a circle, leaving the area directly under the tree open. It doesn't have to be large, just large enough for maybe an outdoor friendly chair & side table. As the tree grows it will provide shade, but initially you could probably get a large umbrella and stand. All these outdoor things will be on sale shortly when summer is coming to an end. Plus, other than the patio stones, everything can be stored behind the house with all-weather covers on them during the winter months, or in your basement, garage or barn.

If you want to plant flowers, check with a nursery to see if there are any all-day-sun perennials you could plant. Otherwise, you could get annuals that can take sun all day, put them in colorful pots on the patio or around or under the tree. They will bloom from spring to fall, and can be replaced next year.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 1:11PM
Kerri Daniels
Wow thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I took pictures of the back of my house. I do have a bluebird house next to her tree. a story to share with you. My daughters name is Jaelynn and we named her that because her brothers names are jacob and elijah j for jacob a for and and e for elijah. lynn is my husbands middle name. so one day i was having a moment missing her deeply and then this bluebird landed on top of her tree. not the bluejay these birds are bright blue with a pink chest. it made me stop crying because it was so beautiful. 4 months later i ask my husband if he knew what the name jaelynn means, and he said go online and see. i typed her name in and do you know what it means? a crested bluebird. i had to share that with you. after that happened we put the bluebird house in and now today we have many families of bluebirds flying around.:) i know my house doesn't look that good, I know. But i want to change that, But I'm not sure what we can do. The second pic is the middle of house which is my laundry room. What do you think?
34 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 1:28PM
Judy M
I love your bluebird story. As the tree grows and you get more and more shade from it, it will be like your daughter arms wrapped around you in comfort.

I love this idea of a memory garden. Some plants that attract butterfly and birds would be nice.

I love the cornfield and think a deck or patio would allow you to sit and enjoy that gorgeous view.

I hop you can make this a reality.
11 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 1:35PM
Wow, thank you for sharing that. Nothing has ever brought a tear to my eye here on houzz. You, too, Judy M.

A love the idea of a pergola off your house and this picture of the tree, edged and trimmed within your view.
Palo Alto Craftsman

When you get your outdoor furniture, put this pillow on one of the chairs.
Garden Blue Bird Indoor / Outdoor Pillow
14 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 1:48PM
Paul B. Showers
The memorial tree looks to be a Maple. It will be a long lasting, tall shade tree. I think that far from thee house I'd want to keep it simple and a place where you can reflect or have "those moments" that come from time to time. Perhaps a pair of benches just to the front of the tree facing each other. You may choose to set them on a small paved surface of brick or stone for ease of maintenance. Perhaps around that some beds that surround the paved area with ground cover that would also surround the tree. You can spend intimate moments there with family or just be alone allowing a bench for the memory of your daughter and have conversation with her. Anything else such as a deck, patio or porch I'd attach to the back of the house for ease of entertaining. All of us who have lost someone dear have a special way of reaching out and I hope that the tree and whatever you choose to do near it becomes just such a place for you.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 2:02PM
I’m a mess....all I can think of is “if you build it they will come”.
10 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 2:09PM
Tammy Tate Kammerer
A patio or deck of the back- from past the deck door to past the house door. I love the pergola idea. Then a path out to the tree. And I so love the bird pillow!
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 2:18PM
Kerri Daniels
Thanks again everyone. Like I said, we have been here for 14 years will be 15 in September and just something to enjoy our view. I love the pillow too. Thank you also for allowing me to share. When I can talk about my daughter it makes her memory more alive.
21 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 2:30PM
motownmom
Thank you for sharing that story. I too got teary eyed.

And, don't think for one moment you have to apologize for your home! It's a lovely home!

How much you change, to add anything to the back, will depend on your budget. Maybe start around the tree, and work on the back of the home later? You've been given some really good ideas.

Peace to you and yours.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 2:40PM
Judy M
We bought a vacation rental home that had shrubs in only the front of the house along the foundation.
They were evergreen yews shaped into boxes and way too tall.

We removed them and replaced with colorful plants as we didn't have a high foundation to cover.
We added hydrangea, Russian sage, ornamental grasses, peonies and daylillies.

The next spring we dug out a bed along the rear foundation of the house and since it is shady there we added hostas.

The next year we moved to one side of the house and again dug a curvy bed and added more plants.
At that point, we had one more side to go and it is now done!

Rome wasn't built in a day. Start someplace. Browse the landscape photos on this site for ideas.

A small deck off the rear door as a landing and then a patio beyond it would work. The patio can be as simple as poured concrete or large flat stones set by removing grass and laying them on sand, just something to set a patio table or chairs, so they don't have to be moved each time the lawn is mowed.
If you are able to start a project like this, I'm sure we would all love to see photos and provide any advice we can as you proceed.
My plants and my yard bring me peace and joy and I wish the same for you.
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 3:49PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I did not read everything and now understand the true propose for this space . It is especially difficult when its your child .I was a soldier and never feared for my life but when my son followed in my foot steps, during 9 11 and I put him on an aircraft carrier to go to war and my phone would ring , I felt fear like I never new . I cant say I know what you feel but I do know you should feel close to her when you want to. My deepest sympathy and condolences . I will create a space befitting of a loving mother for her daughter . Sorry for your loss.
12 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 3:51PM
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 3:53PM
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 3:56PM
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 3:58PM
marchmain
What about a lawn full of wild flowers and bulbs? And lavender and purple sage? With a wee path to the tree.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 4:42PM
Linda
Where's the north side of your yard? I'm thinking if you are out in farm country that the north wind blows hard come wintertime. Can you put a hedge down the side of your property to help create a windbreak? If you get forsythia bushes, they grow fast and furious if they have sun and water. Those bushes also multiply fairly quickly so you don't have to spend a fortune buying enough plants to cover a long distance

You have tons of great space for some perennials. Prairie plants, like purple coneflower, prairie dock, compass plant, coreopsis, yarrow, bee balm all flourish if given enough water to get established and enough space to grow. You can cut out the grass and prep the ground for the first planting and then just let the grass grow back into the flowers as it will. The flowers will start to naturalize in the yard and you can decide how many of them you want to let grow and where you just want to mow them off.

Ditch lilies - those plain orange daylilies you see around all the old farmsteads will grow absolutely anywhere they get some sun and a bit of water. Stella D'Oro are shorter daylilies and easy to get because if anyone you know has them, they would likely be thrilled to share. If you offer to dig the clump, separate it into smaller clumps and space out and replant fewer plants in the original spot and take all the spares home to your garden, I'll bet you'll have plenty of plant donors --- if you were here, I would be happy to donate lots of spare greenery from my yard!

Peonies are a great flower for a memorial garden since they bloom around Memorial Day and will withstand drought by about the third year after getting going. I would put a relaxing chair by the tree and possibly an umbrella for some shade. Also a small side table for a candle, potted plant, drink, book....perhaps even a laminated copy of a favorite photo...sure it will fade, but if it brings pleasant memories in the mean time, how wonderful
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 6:11PM
nwduck
Initially you could build a deck off the house from the sliding door over to the corner of the house by the laundry room at a level so you step out onto the deck rather than down stairs. Even if it did not really project into the back yard extremely far, you could at least put a small table and a couple of chairs with a pretty blue umbrella, and the bluebird pillow, of course. This way you could enjoy your view (and your husband can see his cornfield) from a slightly higher elevation than the yard itself. You have the opportunity to use the side of the house along the deck for some outdoor decorations, if you like. A wide center stair could lead down to the yard, and set the stage for something more elaborate later. A flower bed with some of the lovely suggestions already made at the base of your daughter's tree would be a very pretty thing to view from the deck.

Thank you very much for sharing your story.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 6:33PM
Red Berm
I think you need to define what your definition of retreat is. Is it lush with flowers? Is it a grass area? Is it seating areas with waterfeatures? You should contact a landscape designer to help put your ideas together. My thought would be to emphasis the tree and create a symmetric garden with paths like in the photo.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 6:35PM
n247080
Honey, you need a "come to Jesus" talk with your husband. A yard that shades a small percentage of his precious corn (and yes it IS precious) is not going to upend the family income! The two of you need a sactuary to relax in after working the fields. The longer you wait, the longer it'll take to create that sanctuary. PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN. Now!
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 6:37PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
The landscape design I create will be her within the landscape but I need your help . What are her favorite colors tell us about her, persnality, fun moments, who she was. I need the inspiration to flow through my hand and mind .
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 7:10PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi everyone, wow I am so thankful for all of you and your posts. I never imagined this at all and when I opened my email all these messages. What a beautiful moment. I showed this to my husband and he was amazed. There are so many different ways I could go about it but the one thing that is most important is centering it around Jaelynn's tree. The picture of the back of our house where there is a window was her room. We wanted to take out that window and put a door there to walk out into a sunroom. There are so many things we have to consider. I really don't want this to sound like a sad story because its not, but our son Elijah has epilepsy and cerebral palsy and is autistic. Last year 2012 in march he had brain surgery and the removed 1/3 of his brain. He had been having multiple seizures a day for 12 years and when the performed the surgery last year, he has been seizure free. Praise, he is left with no peri feral vision but other than that he is ok, so in the picture you can see a circle in the grass. That is where we had his blow up pool. We didn't putt it up this year. So considering Elijah we are trying to think what is best for him. He will be dependent on us for the rest of his life. Like I said earlier there is so much to consider so to answer your question about colors what I like, I love to pray, and read my bible. I love to garden, I don't have a garden this year because I'm doing a community garden for very low income families. Sometimes this gets so overwhelming thinking of everything I can do, it would be great to have someone walk me through this. Thanks again everyone. May God bless each and everyone of you as He certainly has blessed me with all your thoughts.
8 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 8:49PM
nwduck
God answers our needs in sometimes interesting ways, doesn't he? It does sound very much like your family needs a retreat, and there is no doubt the kind-hearted people on this site can help you achieve that. Can you tell us more about Elijah's mobility needs as well? This will help people come up with ideas and materials that will allow him to enjoy your outdoors as well.

Bless you, jaeke320. You are doing the good work.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 9:10PM
Kerri Daniels
Thank you so much for your inspiring words. Elijah is 13 developmentally he is 7. He can walk but he has low muscle tone. He can't play sports because of his surgery. He is learning to ride his bike again, but falls because he can't see on the left side. Elijah loves monster trucks. He has a collection of over 300 die cast sm. trucks. He has this many because every time we take a trip to the hospital where he has to get poked we would promise him a monster truck. I have attached a picture of my family to share with you all.
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 9:23PM
Kerri Daniels
Sorry here is a better pic
2 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 9:25PM
reptileaddiction
I am extremely sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to your son.

Anyway I think it would be nice if you put a hammock underneath your tree either with or without some chairs. It might be more comfortable out there. I also like the idea of a windbreak which I think would help keep chairs and stuff in place. I would also consider planting more trees. I know you want to preserve your view but if you didn't go insane planting trees you could still eve the view. My great aunt has a farmhouse surrounded by corn and in my opinion all of the trees really help to frame the house. Another thing my great aunts farm has is a big white light that is permanently in the ground that she can turn on. I really don't know how to describe it though. It is just a very picturesque old street light with big globes that really fits in on the farm.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 18, 2013 at 9:40PM
lkg1984
Thank you for sharing your story. After I was done drying my eyes, I saw this cushy canopy swing and thought of you.
7 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 12:25AM
lkg1984...what a great swing. Where did you find it?
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 5:50AM
armygirl1987
Every time that I think that I am done with Houzz it is reading dilemmas like this that makes me come back. I do not have anything to add other than I feel your pain and something good will come out of this.
5 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 11:45AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I have not forgotten you working on a few things with the VFW in Indiana . Thank you for all the information . I will begin working on something soon just need to pray about it and I'll get the answer.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 12:42PM
mousemaker
i am shocked, shocked Judy M :) that Rome wasn't built in a day. are you sure? :)
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:01PM
Judy M
I wasn't there Mouse, but I've heard stories. Can you confirm it's true? :)
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:09PM
Come on Judy M....you know we were there :>)
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:11PM
mousemaker
Jaeke320, you have opened up a window on your world here and we are all very moved by it and by the strength you obviously have to go about your daily life. I am sure you have had lots of "real" support, that is, not electronic :)
and i hope that in the future there can be some technology perhaps that will help your son. You never know. Who would have thought of Google glasses, for example? there is so much to hope for. I have personal grief of my own and so i thought of a book i was given many years ago. it is Empty Arms by Sherokee Ilse. Even though my situation was a bit different, the emotions were the same and it was very helpful. Or perhaps you are way past that stage. it's only an idea. You have a very nice looking family and i am sure a peaceful garden area will bring you joy.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:11PM
mousemaker
oh oh. it's the battle of the Judys!!!!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:12PM
Judy M
Judyg, judging by the "old" ten year old house, maybe we were there. If anyone says "elderly" I'm gonna punch them out. And ask "who you calling elderly?"
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:16PM
mousemaker
AARP calling!!!! no no not AVON, AARP!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 1:20PM
Kerri Daniels
Thank you everyone for all your responses. I just got out of work and I am once again amazed at the love and support through all of you. I never would have thought this would happen by just sharing. What a beautiful moment I can write in my journal. I want to keep writing but I need to figure out what we are going to eat tonight for dinner:) I love this app houzz. There are so many beautiful ideas, and beautiful people. Can't wait to hear more ideas. Thank you Jesus for these beautiful people. This is Elijah on his birthday last year after having the surgery on March 29, 2012. Wanted to share with you.
2 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 3:40PM
Kerri Daniels
I took more pictures of the backyard. Where my garden usually is is all grass. I have a path leading to the river and woods and I want to find a way to blend all this in to our area. What do you think? I use this path every day to take walks and gather my thoughts. The pictures are viewed starting with Jaelynn's tree over to my used to be garden and then the path. Thanks everyone:)
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 4:02PM
weathervanes
I would love to have a gazebo out there. It wouldn't really block the view but i think it would have a charming appeal. You can surely call this your space. I would accent the gazebo dome with a cupola and weathervane accent.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 19, 2013 at 4:34PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Hello MRS Daniels I have been working on the drawing but I need to know the planting zone for your area . The concept drawing includes ideas from the members, won't leave them out. it will be a poetic type of memorial that will happen over time, mimicking a mothers watchful loving eyes, waiting for her child to grow up into what we all hope will be a mature well balanced adult, we can then enjoy as adults . The memorial area will reflect the a playful youthful child like nature with colors to reflect that . The colors are not to be repainted they will fade with time as when a child starts to select more mature colors he/she never returns to the child like colors but more subdued colors . This fading of the colors (not plant materials) will reflect her growing up, maturing. This will happen over time. The tree is now going to take center stage with its large branches and bold colors indicating your daughter is now growing up and left behind her childish colors ."fading colors in structures benches ,bird houses etc.... . with the plant materials below the tree and around it now complimenting the tree with more subdued colors . Your seating area will reflect a mature state and feel and will not change with time as you are a mature parent now just waiting but enjoying your child's life changes while she grows up ."The tree". I still need to tie all the elements together this will take some time and to make it affordable . At least that's my idea. Season after season you will see these changes as with a child growing up but you are the only constant. EBTDESIGNS. each and everyone of us would like to see you have such a place .My hope is that it happens.
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 8:42AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Some preliminary drawings .
5 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 11:59AM
Kerri Daniels
Wow what an incredible memorial thought and inspiration you have. Not knowing me and you have brought new life into the moments when I miss her so deeply, and think that my retreat can become a reality. Thank you so much. I have waited fourteen years, I can certainly wait another if needed. My husband and I will continue praying and with everyone involved we can do this together and share pictures. I have been saving money for my backyard retreat so God is good. I want everyone involved. This will not just be our place but yours as well because of all the inspiration. Our zone is 5. Thank you so much.
4 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 12:12PM
armygirl1987
@Everything, that is awesome, you will get your blessings from this.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 12:21PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Deck and ramp .
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 12:32PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Please don't thank me. God deserves the Glory .I am just a messenger.
7 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 12:34PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I added the fence around the walk for Elijah and you . He can ride his bike or walk with you but always have a guide for his left side to support him . If he gets tiered there are benches on the outside he can rest on . This all can be done ,if the stone is not in the budget than use crush n run you will need it for a base, when you can get the stone . The fence can be made out of wood very simple but sturdy. You can have lunch with Elijah and walk the ground.
5 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 12:41PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We can all figure a way to make this happen . I am trying to get in contact with the VFW in Indiana I spoke with them and they want more information but there email is wrong . No harm in trying.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 12:45PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
The plan can be modified to fit your space . I am still not done with drawing.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 12:55PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Top view.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 1:08PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Oh the outer walkway begins at the ramp and ends at her window . It has an arbor with peony at the left and right .
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 1:42PM
Judy M
I am amazed at the generosity of some of the professionals on this site.

EVERYTHING HOME, you have done an amazing job with these drawings and plans. So much time and thought put into it.

It seems much of this coils be done in stages if the budget for this family project needs that option.

Perhaps an outline of what should be done in the best order would be helpful.
I would hate for them to feel it is too ambitious a plan, but I know breaking things down into stages, can alleviate that fear.

And how kind of you to try to find local help for them.

God is smiling on you and this family.
13 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 2:11PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Don't worry about how to build it .I build everything myself that I design . I will walk you through it and get you plants schedules for your zone, you have a designer . if hubby is handy he can built some of this, others materials can be found in garage sales, and salvage yards .
5 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 6:41PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Thanks for all the blessings, we need them. If any of you would like to write a review here on my houzz page just click on my logo and look for review tab . I would welcome it. Do any of you have any suggestions or changes to the drawing please feel free.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 7:57PM
noiwh8
I know how important it is for a farmer to have a clear view of the fields from the house. If you are suffering as Wisconsin is from this drought, it is too important to overlook the need and safety of being able to quickly assess what Mother Nature is up to.

In a different direction, have you ever walked a labyrinth? It is called walking meditation and were created before the crusades supposedly by christians unable to make the trek to the holy land, but wanting to make a spiritual journey in prayer.

You can make labyrinths of several sizes and patterns. I installed an 8 ring labyrinth (smaller than the large 12 ring, and bigger than the 5 ring in these pictures) by marking the sides and burying bricks in the lawn. Made it easy to maintain as you just run the lawn mower over it. I planted herbal groundcover in the center where I would sit and meditate a few minutes. You could add a loop to include your tree, or have it at the center. It was a great break for me to walk the labyrinth and center prayer there.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 8:34PM
greymom
My prayers to you for the loss of your daughter and for you for strength. I think your memorial tree is wonderful and seeing what Everything Beautiful is creating makes me believe it can become a lovely spot for your family. I take care of my parents who have Alzheimer's and love the time I spend in my gardens. It's a way to relax and rejuvenate. I would suggest adding fragrant flowers as well as ones to attract hummingbirds/butterflies. I think Elijah might enjoy watching the hummingbirds coming to some monarda plants and butterflies to a butterfly bush. And a large grouping of tall phlox would create a lovely fragrance. Add a birdbath and some flat stones for the butterflies, maybe a battery operated fountain for on top of the table for a little soothing water sound at a low cost and relax. And remember, you need to take that walk to the garden alone at times. You need to take time for yourself. That's why you really should do this garden. Believe me, I know time alone is needed to unwind when you take care of loved ones with medical problems. It helps us refocus so we can continue to care for them the best we know how. You've got a sweet boy and the memory of a lovely daughter. And with your husband's help you'll have a spot to relax, contemplate and enjoy those few moments that happen where it's just 'You'. Of course, you'll remember to invite the boys in every once in awhile. LOL
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 9:50PM
adamswif
Every one of you filled my heart with such incredible hope and love tonight. Thank you for showing me that there are still amazing and wonderful people in the world.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 20, 2013 at 10:13PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello everyone, how can I express my gratitude and heartfelt joy to you, Everything Beautiful Home Designs, LLC, and to you all who are a part of this very special time in my life. I am deeply touched and thanking God for all of you. The ideas and plans are wonderful. Today I walked out my back door and sat down on the step just looking at my yard and it brought happy tears to my eyes because I knew that in God's timing, we would be able to create family moments in our own backyard. Rick and i have been saving and even if it just happens gradually over the years that would be wonderful. I have another picture to share with you. Yesterday, I was sitting on the steps in my backyard just looking up in the sky thanking God for all this and as I'm looking at the clouds I see an image in the cloud that looks like Jesus praying. Look to the left and you will see it. God is good. Thank you again for all your doing. I can't wait to be with you all tomorrow.
4 Likes   July 21, 2013 at 12:02AM
nwduck
As I messaged EBHD, the gift is that tonight you have something wonderful to dream of.

Can I just say I love the birdhouses on posts? It might be fun for Elijah to help build and paint them. And don't you love the pool placement at the end of the ramp off the deck? Easy access for years to come. I think this is indeed an achievable plan. Not too fancy, but very pretty and serves the needs of you and your family.

Sweet dreams, Kerri.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 21, 2013 at 12:25AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Thank you all for the compliments . Thought you'd like to sit there today .
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 21, 2013 at 11:04AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Plant materials and some furniture available at most box stores. . most are perennials zone 5
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 21, 2013 at 11:41AM
mousemaker
Buddhists use labyrinths for meditation as well. They are wonderful when designed and used for anyone to find peace and to meditate..they are much like the beautiful mandalas they create with so much patience and artistry.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 21, 2013 at 1:26PM
mousemaker
we went to a lily and peony farm yesterday---it was a wonderfully beautiful day and a sweetly scented (yes, a farm:)) beautiful place to be...I wish I had been there sooner for the peonies, but I did buy some daylilies and lilium. just an idea if you want some variety and plants for sun.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 21, 2013 at 1:31PM
Judy M
It just takes starting on one thing, to make it happen.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Take the first step.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 21, 2013 at 2:10PM
nwduck
You have been much in my thoughts today as I have puzzled through an incremental and economical way to do some of the ideas expressed, and considering EBHD's all encompassing design. I'm a city girl, so am not toooo familiar with things that you could use in lieu of the stuff we go overpay for at Home Depot, but maybe some ideas will get you and your husband thinking! You have farm supply, the river and the woods right there.

The first thing I would do is to create that flowerbed around Jaelynn's tree. I like the square idea, as it is a little different. I have metal edging for a walkway. Is there a metal band material about 4"-6" wide, that comes in lengths used in farming you could substitute for that sold in big box stores? If it rusts, all the better. We urban people pay EXTRA for that. Dig out the grass from around the tree for the flowerbed, and edge. About 4"-6" further out, do another metal edge square. Line the trench with black plastic, and top with river rocks (sure, I know you want to carry a bucket on your evening walks to the river). The nurseries all sell off their perennial stock in the fall, so that may be a good time to get plants that will bloom next year. I will admit a partiality for some Black Eyed Susans. A pretty painted bench could go on one side of the tree. It looks like you have a wooden picnic bench up by the house, so you could put that on the other side with a colored pot in the center with flowers next summer.

You could create the big outer edge of Jaelynn's Courtyard square by tilling beds on 3 sides (open end toward the house) next year. This could be your vegetable garden. (Yes, I'm pretty sure farmers think this is not too efficient, but bear with me.) You could put something like lavender and rosemary bushes at the corners (if they grow there....not sure). The tree-side of the beds could be lettuce and other low growing things, with marigolds and nasturtiums interspersed. That way when you harvest the border, you still have something left! Put taller things toward the outside edges. If you plant sunflowers around the very outside edge...viola! A frame for the courtyard.

I still like the small long deck with slightly wider than the norm stairs leading toward the courtyard. You have a level surface coming out of the house for stability, a small space for chairs/table and a barbeque(?). You could add the ramp to the end at a later time if Elijah needs it, but it could make a terrific Monster Truck ramp run.

As far as a deck rail and short fence treatment goes, I had 3 ideas that might help with material costs. All involve a simple post with a top rail, and different ways of infilling the space between. One is to use metal grid fencing (I believe this comes in rolls, and may be available for less money to you guys!). The second is to do a simple X pattern (like the traditional cross on barn doors). The third is to do an artistic infill with small branches from your woods. Oh yes, now I have you toting buckets of rocks AND armloads of twigs. I am very poor at the imbedding picture thing, but if you go look at my ideabooks, I made one for Kerri's Garden that shows some examples. That's the best I can do! You could use small branches for the birdhouse posts in EBHD's design. Let your husband get those. ;)

If you want, you could do the one section of fence closest to the cornfield. That would give you a backdrop, and maybe a structure your vining veggies could grow onto.

Anyway, that might give you a start. Add hardscape, patios, etc. as you can, or want.

I hope you had a lovely Sunday, and best wishes for the coming days.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 12:10AM
Kerri Daniels
Hi Everyone, Right now I am at work so I will write more tonight. All your ideas are wonderful, and EBHD I hope everyone knows that your designs and ideas are amazing. And to have a business such as yours to put your heart and soul and time into helping another shows that you really do care about your clients and people by sharing your gifts God has given to you. We just can't thank you enough. Where do we start? I want you all to know that we are so blessed to have this website Houzz to share with each other our homes, but please if I can share this, right now I'm thinking about the people at the place where I work. They have no homes to call there own. Some live in the woods and some in tents, and here I have a roof over my head and place of safety. These are people I call my friends. I work for a warming shelter called Damascus Road in Adrian Michigan, and my heart goes out to each and everyone. We also give away furniture to families that are in need and get a place of their own, by helping them get back on their feet. I so want my retreat area, but I have to be honest, if they have nothing, and I have a home what should I do? Is it okay to want my retreat? I'm excited about this, but then again, my heart is sadden for these people. Keep praying.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 12:10PM
mousemaker
You are doing what you can. The problem is larger than one person can solve alone. You might think about other tactics to confront these issues, perhaps getting your local politicians involved. Find out why this situation is so bad, how long it's been this way, and what is currently being done other than charity to help them. Political action is a good route to take if you are really serious about helping them.
You need your retreat for your own personal reasons. It's apples and oranges. You shouldn't feel guilty but turn that energy into action.
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 12:22PM
Judy M
There is always misery in the world but it does NOT need company. And all the more reason to have a special place to reflect on all you have and have lost.
One small step, take it.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 6:41PM
nwduck
You cannot offer a cool drink of water to others when your own well has run dry. You need this, and deserve it.
5 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 6:48PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi everyone. Thank you for your comments. I understand what your saying, and Knowing that this will help us to create more memories and Tonight I was sitting outside and thinking again how amazing you all have been. Where to start? What do I do first? I want to take pictures as we go along and include everyone. Would you be able to walk us through this? Thanks again my wonderful friends. Sometimes I just would like to verbally talk to someone. Looking forward to another wonderful memory involving my daughter. Praise God \0/
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 7:07PM
kimdee24
What a wonderful thread! And Everything Beautiful, you are an angel! Kerri, I wish you a wonderful space in which to remember your daughter. Blessings and light to everyone. xoxo
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 7:15PM
greymom
Kerri as I said in my earlier post, I've come to learn as I take care of my parents that there does come a time where we must think of ourselves. At first I was filled with guilt for thinking I wanted to get away from them. How could I? I love them and they need me more than ever. But I learned from others taking care of their own parents suffering with Alzheimer's that it wasn't selfish but required. And I found they were right. I'm a better caregiver now that I have my moments away. So I understand what you're saying. But right now your priority is your family and especially your son. And you have to be at your best to be the best for them. Theres many ways to help others. Make a point to donate your families clothes once they outgrow them or decide they don't want to wear them. And do the same with other items you can think of that you don't need.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 7:50PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
You must first mark out the ground where the deck is going and the ramp with landscape spray paint get some sticks and drive them into the ground at each point you should have six for the deck up to the opening for the ramp leave an opening 4" wide for the mouth of the ramp. Use the last two sticks for the ramp tie a string line and go out try six feet place two more sticks and tie off, this will give you a visual of where your deck starts and ends . Next mark of the tree area it must be a rectangle 15' wide by 25 ' mark off again . Make a circle around her tree 7' wide you should have at least 3.5 ft. span from the circle on each side left and right of the circle to the edge of first walk. Take care of that first then we can proceed . Do not build the deck without checking building codes for your area and get a permit . No one builds anything till we check them out first agreed. Give no one money, deposit . we'll let you know how much and when. Then I want to see the contract, materials they will use for the deck don't worry I'll call your local building department to check for codes and details .This is a world wide site I am sure we can find a member in Indiana that can help you .
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 8:15PM
marybyrne
I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm glad I did. My condolences to the Daniels family. May Gods loving arms embrace you and yours. Blessings
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 8:51PM
nwduck
Kerri, a question that I think will help. In EBHD's design, is the orientation of Jaelynn's tree right as it relates to the house? In the pictures it looks like it may be in between the sliding glass door and the smaller window to the right of that. Can you measure the distance from the house to the tree? And is that small window on the left of the slider Jaelynn's, or is it the one to the right of the sliding glass door? We may be far away and can't come help in person, but that never stopped anyone!
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 22, 2013 at 9:08PM
reptileaddiction
I really like the I idea of a square garden. I would not even bother edging it just make sure when you mow that the grass isn't spreading in. Also in my opinion digging down a pit and lining it with landscape fabric is totally unnecessary. All it will do is make it so the tree doesn't do as well because it will not be able to have surface roots there and your flowers will not be able to have large root systems. The only thing I would do for that bed is mark it out with spray paint then dig up the grass in that area. I would mix in some compost, old and aged manure, or whatever you can get like that. It would be best if you could wait to plant till the spring if you did it now but if you find cheap plants buy them and plant them. I really can't help with the building the deck parts and stuff but I am a very experienced gardener and the landscaping stuff I wi be able to help you out a lot with. Good luck!

P.S. I don't think we would mind pictures of how you are coming :P
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 8:00AM
marchmain
Don't be bullied into building anything. People are sweeping you away with grand plans, which is very houzz. Everything is grand and monied on this site. You can do much with flowers and some furniture.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 1:46PM
Kerri Daniels
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the last comment. I did not know about houzz and everyday I have been praying for God's timing for 14 years and then houzz comes along and these wonderful people to share my answer to prayer. I don't understand.
2 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 2:02PM
Judy M
Ignore naysayers. Some of the ideas given were simple designs and some are more elaborate. You've been offered choices as to the design.

Please tell us how much work and expense you are prepared for and how simple or elaborate you would like your retreat to be.

Earlier in the post I posted a few photos and everything home has posted many.
Which of these ideas do you think you can do?
Can you afford to hire someone or do you want to do some
Of the work yourselves.
Are you handy?

Can you build a deck?

No plan is any good if you can't afford it or can't do it yourself.

We need to know to make suggestions.

We want to help you get started.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 2:15PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
If the outside walk is to expensive to do in stone than use mulch and edging to contain the mulch than place stepping stone like in the drawing. I don't recommend you building the deck yourself if you have never built one but you can try the only thing that will happen is it wont pass inspection and won't until its right.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 2:24PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
This not suppose to stress you out and you can do as little or as much as you can, and when you can
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 2:28PM
nwduck
Kerri, sometimes people comment without reading the whole thing. There have been a lot of "big" ideas, so she may have thought all your new Houzz friends were completely missing the mark. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 2:50PM
nwduck
You know, yesterday you said you would like to "talk with someone". That's a good idea! Why don't you invite a couple of friends over, talk with them, share the things you've gotten from your post. It could help you a lot, and be something fun to do.

Houzz is an idea factory. It is sort of like walking into a giant department store and saying "I want a dress." There's no end to suggestions!

When you and your family decide what things you like best, and will work, let us know. Post a list with any questions. Anyone who posted will get notified you're back. NO ONE will feel at all bad if you do not "choose" the dress they picked out for you. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 23, 2013 at 9:37PM
marchmain
Sorry if I confused or upset you. I wasn't very clear. I was just worrying about you, and that you might feel overwhelmed by some of the designs people were putting forth. Sometimes people get upset on these boards by people telling them what to do too much. I was just trying to say, feel free to do as little or as lot as you want, no matter what people are saying here.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 24, 2013 at 1:33AM
krystalfaul
I love your view. I wish I had that much room to look past myself and into a field. You have many choices, I see many people have already given you suggestions. My suggestion is stepping stones up to the tree that means so much and have those stepping stones branch off to a cozy bench. Sorry if my suggestion isn't that fancy but potted plants can be a nice addition as well. I pray that you enjoy your spot and that that beautiful tree flourishes, eventually bringing shade to your soon to be oasis from it all. - Krystal
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 24, 2013 at 1:42AM
reptileaddiction
I like the idea of the stones with the mulch for the walkway but I wondering if that could be a tripping hazard for your son. How much mobility does he have? Do you think it would be an issue? You obviously know your son best but we wouldn't want you to have to redo that area. You could also do concrete that is dyed/stained. A lot of my neighborhood has driveways like this that look very nice and do not look at all like normal concrete. I think that would fit in well with the other designs. You could also make them out of brick which would also look very nice.
Another thing to consider is that your tree now is still fairly small and doesn't cast a whole ton of shade underneath it but in a few years it could very well be shaded. Which means that a lot of the flowers you will plant now will not do well later. I would not invest a lot of money into perennials under the tree unless you are ok with replacing them. In my experience perennials are fairly high priced.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 24, 2013 at 4:05PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi everyone, thank you for all your thoughts and wonderful ideas. What I'm going to do is go through all your ideas and write them down and look at the amazing rough draft EBHD prepared for us for our retreat and pray and then begin. If I did not answer someone with your questions, I so apologize. I will answer them tonight. Thank you again friends. I can't wait to start this with you. If anyone wants to call me my number is 517-263-1960. I would love to talk with each one of you and get to know you. My Houzz Family, God bless you. Be with you soon.
0 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 4:39PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Good for you . I spoke with the VFW people today in Indiana her name is "Spuds" Mackenzie
State Secretary
VFW Dept. Indiana
She is forwarding the whole post to there headquarters hopefully they can help with something "man power" it's worth a shot, us veterans like to help . We have to see what they say . Don't get your hopes up just keep praying.
6 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 24, 2013 at 5:08PM
Kerri Daniels
Still going through the ideas. I don't think I will be finished tonight so tomorrow I will write. Praying and thanking God for all of you.
0 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 7:56PM
Kerri Daniels
The Year it all began...Here is a picture of Jaelynn's tree the year she passed away. 3 months after she passed, this was the moment that God sent me a crested bluebird that landed on top of her tree. At this time, May 7th, 2009 we did not know the meaning of her name until we found out 4 months later in October 2009 that her name means crested bluebird. Jaelynn was born the first day of spring, March 20th. Her tree is tiny:) Thank you for allowing me to share my memories of her with you.
2 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 9:20PM
Nancy Walton
Such a beautiful story and a beautiful family...
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 24, 2013 at 9:32PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
God speaks to everyone everything in it's season and here on houzz you found the fruits of your prayers. We all hope that no matter what you do , you find peace.
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 25, 2013 at 7:03AM
mousemaker
just a thought--and certainly you may plant whatever you like :) ---if you are interested, you can google the tradtional meaning of flowers and find out what might fit in particular for a spot or two?
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 25, 2013 at 7:49AM
greymom
Thanks for the before picture of your little girl's tree. How wonderful to see how much it's already grown. Can you tell us what type of tree it is? This way we'll have an idea of the size it will be as an adult and how much shade it will make. There are many plants and even flowers that will grow in the shade. Of course you'll have plenty of time to enjoy some that will need part sun and full sun as well while it grows. And sprinkling some spring bulbs will be a special way to say "Good-bye" to the snow. :) Choose plants carefully and one can give you many in just a year or two. The monardas for instance is a fast spreader but easy to control. And one or two daylilies will make a clump of flowers and extra plants in a couple years. You can than separate them and have free plants to put in another area. Also, check with any friends who might have a garden. I've given many plants away to friends when I needed to separate the ones that were getting too big. It's good for the plants as well. And better than throwing them away with the weeds. :) A little Sunday plant party!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 25, 2013 at 11:14AM
reptileaddiction
I too was going to ask what type of tree it is. I think bulbs would look very nice and depending on what types you get would be care free. You could also choose a small area of the lawn to naturalize bulbs in. This works best with daffodils because they readily naturalize. What you would do is take a bunch of bulbs and just toss them onto the ground and plant them exactly the spot they land no matter how close they are. If you put them down by hand some sort of geometric pattern always results. Then in the spring you don't mow until the foliage has died back then you mow as you would a normal lawn. When it is blooming it looks absolutely gorgeous. Here is an ok picture. It's not really what I meant but it gives a little bit of a visual.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 25, 2013 at 12:41PM
horsebarnt
I came across this somewhat by accident....we are empty nesters in central Nebraska. We live on 3 acres, 2 horses (my passion), dog and 3 cats. We both still work and plan too for awhile 2-6 yrs. at least. Our grandchildren live in same town. We too suffered loss of our second child, a daughter in 1997, one week before her high school graduation. We received three trees that we planted in her memory, only one has survived. We built our home and barn in 1995, and because of my dad's very sudden move to the local nursing home, I realized I didn't want my children to have to go through what I did, disposing of his belongings, some of mom's yet, his house and his horse! He will be 92 this year. So, I think maybe we need to downsize and move into town.....it scares me somewhat to have to do this. Anyway, this is your 'thread'...I think a path to her tree and small patio off the house with some daylilies and hostas planted around it would be beautiful and easy to manage. Take care and thank you for sharing a most beautiful moment. PTL.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 25, 2013 at 1:01PM
macgrill
Dear Kerri, I was so touched when you were apologizing because you felt your home was so modest. Your home is the envy of many because it is filled with love and a beautiful family. I have been inside many grand mansions that cannot begin to compare to your home because they are filled with greed, materialism, distrust and dishonesty. There is no love or happiness within. Truly you dwell in the house of The Lord.
5 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 26, 2013 at 12:07AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Hello MRS Daniels how are you doing? I can't believe that any American would be living under a bridge but with so many American companies bailing out to go to other countries, I am afraid there will be more of this. We can only show them that we don't bailout, on Americans You are that strength they need Thanks for not forgetting them .
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 26, 2013 at 3:35PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi friends, sorry I have not been able to write I have not been feeling well. Thank you for not forgetting about me. I want to begin soon. I'm hoping tomorrow is a better day. Thanks again for lifting my spirits. Everyone have a wonderful day.
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 9:22PM
nwduck
All in good time, Kerri. Get well first. Rest up. We'll still be here when you need us.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 26, 2013 at 9:37PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello everyone, I'm sitting here with my husband and showing him all you responses and very inspiring ideas. I looked over at him and he had a tear running down his cheek. I asked him would this be possible and he said it seems quite expensive and then shared that I needed to take pictures of what we have around the farm to use, and I thought that was a good idea. I will be sending a picture of our field stone we picked out of our fields and Rick said we have logs laying down in the woods. We also have some big poles the utility company left when they replaced the old telephone poles. In the winter, Rick goes into the woods and cuts wood for our wood burner. It's wonderful to heat our house so i asked him to cut me 4 big trees and I could use them for seats, so right now that is what we have. I have been saving since November and I have saved about $800. I absolutely love the idea about centering everything around Jaelynn's tree. Someone asked me what kind of tree is her tree. It is a flowering crab apple. In spring it brings tiny lt. Pink flowers. Someone asked about which side of her room is on. Her window, if your looking at the picture posted of our backyard is to the left. The door with the wood steps is to my laundry room. Someone asked me how Elijah's mobility is and he can walk. His muscle tone is low so playing sports and extensive play is difficult. When he had the brain surgery in 2012 they removed his peri feral vision so he can not see on the left side. Love the idea about a ramp for monster trucks:). EBHD we are so amazed at all your plans and can't wait for God to show us His next step. I would like to know more about your company so I can share with others how gifted you are and how you put your heart and time into helping people. I am so glad that today I am starting to feel better and can begin to create "Jaelynn's Courtyard". What other questions does anyone have? If I have missed any please I apologize. Every one of you I am so blessed to have met you here on houzz. Again I would love to talk with anyone of you. You can call me at 517-263-1960, to thank you and get to know you. You are all a part of this and I want your names in a stone of somesort when we are able. Pictures will be taken and posted. I would love to add video. How what be a good way to do this? Have a beautiful day my friends and I am looking forward to hearing from you.
1 Like   July 28, 2013 at 12:47PM
reptileaddiction
I do not think that you can add video on here so maybe you could post the video to YouTube and post the link? If I were you I would start making a list of the things you want done first and then list everything else. Then through some online research you can start budgeting for every piece of the puzzle. What I would do first is get the planter around the tree done. Remember that you don't want foliage or mulch or anything right up against the tree because that will put the tree at risk for disease. I personally would not spend anything on plants. Ask your neighbors if they will give you cuttings of their plants or if you divide like day lilies or something for them if they will let you keep the divisions. You can also check Craigslist because many people will give you plants for free or like I said before let you come and divide them. Instead of making a patio out of concrete or anything because that could easily eat up the entire budget you could put edging around a path and patio that you could make out of mulch. That would look nice and be very pleasant. Then of course you will have to edge the planter and the grass but at big box stores they have plastic edging that looks nice and is fairly cheap. On Craigslist you can get many things for free or for very cheap that you could use as like edging or something. Throughout the entire process I would continually check Craigslist because you can get many great things for nothing. I think that is how you will be able to afford everything. For mulch for a path and seating area and for planters call local tree trimming services. When they cut down trees and stuff they grind it all up into mulch and most will be willing to drop it off and give it to you for free just so they can get rid of it. For a couple of small chairs or whatever you decide you want so you can sit by her tree again I highly recommend checking Craigslist. You will probably have to pay for it but it will be a fraction of the price new. Have a nice day!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 28, 2013 at 1:47PM
nwduck
Creating the planter around the tree would be a good first step. If you just pull the grass out of the area underneath in the shape you want, you could create an edge with the fieldstones you mentioned having. In addition to reptileaddiction's suggestion, I wonder if there are not a few native plants you could transplant from your woods to around the tree? Do you have a chipper shredder on the farm? Bark off your logs and small branches could be run through that to create mulch for the planting bed. Happy Sunday!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 28, 2013 at 2:03PM
FINNE Architects
I think your daughter's tree is lovely. Now, why not plant three more of the same type, tightly spaced (about 10-feet apart) to create a little grove? Then, think about placing outdoor furniture in the middle of a shady grove, a great place to look out onto the cornfields!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 28, 2013 at 2:10PM
nwduck
Kerri, if you noticed you had a phone call from area code 503 on Sunday, that was me. I was a little concerned about you putting your phone number out on the internet, but thought I would call you, regardless. I went through some pictures on Houzz that I thought might help you and your husband. As I mentioned earlier, I made an ideabook under my name that is Kerri's Garden. Maybe this will help the two of you think about how to create this space for your family with things at hand.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 29, 2013 at 11:24PM
Adriana ReadytogoReadytowear
Hi Kerri!!
I can show you one of our products, perhaps it will be interesting for you. These are outdoor fireplaces. I have a lot of picutres in our webpage. www.flameclass.com/web of www.flameclass.com
Anyway, I let you ones here.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 29, 2013 at 11:38PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Hi Kerri how are you and your husband doing ?
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 6:24AM
Kerri Daniels
Hello EBHD and everyone. Thanks EBHD for asking how we are doing. We're doing okay. Have not started on Jaelynn's Courtyard yet. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly we can do. Do you have ideas with our field stone? I will take a picture of what we have. Have a great day everyone. Please let me know if you all still want to be a part of this. Lots of love.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 10:02AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I will send you additional drawings using the field stones, along with a simplified black and white plan . We will use what you have no worries.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 11:58AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Something like this around the tree only larger, 7' or 8' . Wish I could make one of these for you guys.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 12:08PM
reptileaddiction
I agree. The bed won't take to long. You could have it finished and planted in an afternoon.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 12:30PM
Nancy Walton
Love the water feature, EBHD!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 12:32PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Job one Jaelynn's tree Start here. you don't have to have the deck you can have a flag stone patio with a landing off the back door .
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 5:07PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
This is a flag stone patio I built for a client who wanted a deck much easier to take care of and less than a deck. you can build this yourself with about $600.00 add railing later.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 5:13PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Thanks Nancy here's one for you.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    July 30, 2013 at 5:29PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello there. EBHD AMAZING ONCE AGAIN. RICK IS SICK RIGHT NOW SO IT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER 2 days but we are definitely starting around Jaelynn's tree. Thanks again. Your work is beautiful.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 7:06PM
LB Interiors
Just found all of you. Thank you for sharing your personal story Kerri. I was brought up on a farm and learned what it was all about when I was older through all my parents' stories. I have such high regards for the farmers in this world. It's a calling that not many aspire to. I love all the love that is seen here from all the commenters. I know God will hear us all! You are in good hands with many ideas presented. Your dream is coming true with everyone's help. I wish you and your family the best on this exciting journey for a beautiful memorial and space to be. Your personal paradise on earth for your family . Blessings to all. God Bless You!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello everyone, just to keep you posted we have not started yet. It started raining today so it looks like possibly tomorrow. Can't wait. Hopefully we will have good weather. Have a great day everyone.
3 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 6:30PM
cani
Kerri, I just wanted to tell you how much I admire you. I was telling my husband about this thread this morning and couldn't hardly get it out, I was so choked up. I was telling him how I didn't think that people like you still existed. You have had more than your share of heartache and yet you are so grateful for the smallest things and you worry about others. You are selfless and an inspiration. I can't wait to see your project unfold.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 4, 2013 at 12:22AM
Kerri Daniels
Hi my houzz family. Today is Sunday and what a beautiful day. Today I went for a walk down our path and I took pictures to show you what I did just to have a place to sit and pray, thanking God for all of you and His timing for Jaelynn's Courtyard. I had a small table and 2 chairs, their iron so not looking too good, but it does its job. I walked out there and just sat and looked around. Very peaceful. Hopefully soon we can start. Have a great day everyone. We'll chat soon.
3 Likes   August 4, 2013 at 2:59PM
reptileaddiction
That little metal bistro table is awesome!!! If you buy for a few dollars some cans of spray paint and paint them black or whatever color you like that will be perfect! You also can buy 2 little outdoor pillows for when you are sitting out there and a small pot of flowers on the table and that would be awesome!
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 4, 2013 at 3:06PM
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 4, 2013 at 3:23PM
Judy M
3 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 4, 2013 at 3:24PM
mousemaker
okay so what is the final decision on this project? did we all agree on what she is doing? :) :) did I miss the vote? :)
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 8:27AM
nwduck
Mousemaker: I believe Kerri and her husband are thinking over what to do. Use of materials they may have at hand is probably key, as the budget is limited. Doing something large would be a multi-year project.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 8:50AM
eleri
at the moment I really have no suggestions to make, but your story touched me and I cant wait to see what you do with yoru yard. and you do deserve a retreat!
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 8:53AM
oeohfppe
I really love the plans that concentrate on life! All the great ideas for the boys are awesome! I think of one more that boys so love to do and MIGHT not be too expensive. It is a sport becoming more common in the US, and requires only a small pit with low barrier and a set of bocce balls. I think that would be something most boys would enjoy, tossing balls and competing. All of the ideas are truly beautiful. I especially love Judy M's last few ideas just above with the bistro and flowers. I hope you have many wonderful years to work in your yard both with a tribute to your daughter, especially areas where her family can live and play - life being the tribute your little girl would have wanted for her family most! Peace and joy to you amidst all your hard work on your gorgeous farm!

I have some daylilies I'd love to share, if we can figure out how to do that. Don't post any personal info on the www though! Now isn't the optimum time for planting anywhere thought. Total waste of resources to try to keep new things alive in beastly august heat.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 11:09AM
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
Thank you for sharing that here with everyone. I think that a nice patio as mentioned before would be just perfect for what you are looking for in terms of relaxing there.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 11:50AM
mousemaker
nwduck, I was only trying to inject some humor. I do understand. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 12:26PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Don't know how this would work but I propose just for this project ( THE JAELYNN'S MEMORIAL FOUND) to build the space a mother desperately needs . Paying it forward . I will commit $ 200.00 to the project. The founds collected need to be placed in escrow st for the project . Any and all donation to this cause will be accepted. We do not have any place yet or anyone legally able to collect these founds . This is just to commit a number $ anything will help not to send money now . Until everything has been set up with an independent entity .Bank, Lawyer etc... Would anyone be interested in helping. I know you having to take leave from your part time job to take care of your son will put a hold on theses plans, I hope we can all help you with this. NWDUCK need your help with this.
4 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 6:18PM
Nancy Walton
There is a website--gofundme.com, where someone could start a Memorial page for Jaelynn. Lots of people have requested money...
2 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 5, 2013 at 6:36PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello everyone. What can I say, but I am deeply moved by you and EBHD's Comment. This has never happened to us before, and we certainly was not expecting this. God has given to me all of you and He even has opened doors to personally talk to some of you via telephone. Thanks family. Some of you may know that as of Friday, I had told my employer i need to be at home with Elijah. He needs me. So we are at another season, and only God knows the direction he has for us. EBHD, and all of you there are no words to express how thoughtful you have been by keeping my daughter's memory alive. I know I will see her again. When I'm having "a moment" I go back to the day when we held her and told her we will be together again, and sharing with her that she will have the best parent to take care of her..JESUS. After telling her that she acknowledged our voices with her beautiful little cry and peacefully went to Jesus' arms. I'm sorry, I just need to share this. I miss her so much. To share this with you means a lot, for only God knew that there was a reason why we waited fourteen years to have something. We know now....Jaelynn's Courtyard only she is going to enjoy seeing it side by side with Jesus and i thank Him for that, and for you. Your thoughtfulness in wanting to help our family is PRICELESS:) Thank you again. Know matter what God has in store we know that all of you have brightened our lives with your kind hearts and ideas. Until tomorrow....

Also, I'm learning how to click on names and follow your boards. Didn't know how to exactly do this but we're getting there:)
5 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 10:19PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
In the mean time while you wait to build your dream you and your husband can rest here for a while ,I don't think my customers will mind at all .
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 7, 2013 at 4:06PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We created this collection of tulips for one of our customers Print them for your family.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 7, 2013 at 4:23PM
cani
Kerri, how far from Jaelynn's tree is that gorgeous area where you put the chairs? That would be a wonderful spot to create a relaxing area.
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 8, 2013 at 4:11PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi everyone, well, we had plans to dig around Jaelynn's tree this weekend but my husband Rick and Elijah both have sinus infections and ear infection. It seems like when we just get over one thing something else comes along. Its kind of a let down, but always God is faithful. We just have another bump in the road, so looks like 2 weeks from now. Next week I have to go and be with my twin sister who lives 2 hrs away. She has a condition regarding her nerves and is 100% disabled. She's going for surgery to put a pain pump inside her body that will administer the meds. EBHD AND NWDUCK, THANK YOU FOR YOUR pictures of all the flowers you sent me. I'm going to print them for my sister as well. They are so beautiful. I feel bad that I can't start sooner. You all have been so good, and again EBHD COMPANY FOR NOT EVEN KNOWING ME, YOU HAVE DONE SO MUCH WITH YOUR BEAUTIFUL DESIGNS. All I can say is thank you from the bottom to the top of our hearts
0 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 6:47PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi cani, thanks for replying. If you look at my pics above I took a picture of the path. I just have to walk out my back door and go down the path, turn, then straight down another path are my little chairs and table. I take this path when I need to collect my thoughts and spend time with God. Thanks for asking
0 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 6:51PM
Kerri Daniels
JudyM thank you too for all your pics and ideas. Just Beautiful! Just everybody here is amazing, so please if I have not thanked you please forgive me. You all bring joy when I hear from you. I will try to everyday check in. Sorry it's been a few days. Take care
2 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 7:00PM
Judy M
Happy to help Kerri, take care and when you're ready to start, we can offer support.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 8, 2013 at 7:20PM
reptileaddiction
Have you started the project yet?
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 15, 2013 at 10:14AM
Kerri Daniels
We have not been able to start yet. I am sick right now. We hope and pray we can start very soon. Thanks for thinking of us.
0 Likes   August 15, 2013 at 7:44PM
soberg
Kerri, I just wanted to tell you I think there is a lot of beauty in the view out the back of your house and over the field to the distant trees. I find it peaceful, verdant and abundant. But I agree you and your family need a peaceful serene rest as well. From my experience of midwest summers, you need shade! and a comfortable place to sit. This can be done at a reasonable cost.

You may also like more flowers - I suggest containers or maybe a nice raised bed bordered by the telephone poles you have available - and bird or other animal feeders. Bird bath is also a possibility to draw more beautiful animals to your view. Best wishes and blessings to your and yours.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 15, 2013 at 8:42PM
sunset3433
I love it, to make it more country add a white fence, or even bob wire
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 16, 2013 at 4:57PM
papoodles
Hello Kerri.
I’m so sad hearing about the loss of your precious daughter.I’m here to offer some words of encouragement, having walked in your shoes. When I was in your place, I would be reminded of Abraham Lincoln, who lost so much in his life, and I would try to hold onto his promise.
“In this sad world of ours sorrow comes to all and it often comes with bitter agony. Perfect relief is not possible except with time. You cannot now believe that you will ever feel better. But this is not true. You are sure to be happy again. Knowing this, truly believing it will make you less miserable now. I have had enough experience to make this statement.”
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 17, 2013 at 6:46AM
spitfire60
I love the idea of an outside room, especially with an outside cooking area.. Sam's club had a wonderful cooker that looked like a stove.. No Pergola, put a small building that looks like a house, I called it my craft room, surrounded it with a deck and hottub. I like them (pergolas) but they really obstruct the view.. Create outside rooms.. Just get started and it will happen, It took me 3 summers in one house in a yard that would not grow grass.. I had flowers, herb gardens.. I've created Celtic Gardens too. they have a design, walkways, you could use it for herbs, tall flowers/bush in the center.. look online to see designs, I've never planned a whole area, I just started with one section and then it went from there and developed as I got the ideas and what I wanted.. then it became a masterpiece
1 Like   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 17, 2013 at 7:22AM
spitfire60
Jaelynn's tree - One of the things that we did was build an octagon planter box about 3 ft high around the tree.. partly to cover the ground roots.. it made a great shade garden.. even some spring tulips and crocus grew there too, plus it was beautiful in the spring
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 17, 2013 at 12:08PM
spitfire60
The other thing I've always done because I've had a fence is a fence vegetable, flower herb garden all around the fence.. 2.5 to 3 ft out from the fence.. you already have built in trellises for the climbing things like cukes, zukes, tomatos.. but lots of room for herbs flowers strawberries.. etc.. no trimming the fence.. it works great.. plus it leaves the center of the yard as a yard... and it's easier to take care of than a 12x12.. those are overwhelming to me
0 Likes   Thanked by Kerri Daniels    August 17, 2013 at 12:18PM
Kerri Daniels
Hi everyone, thanks for all your love and support. We still have not started digging and I am sad...still not feeling well. As soon as we are able to start you all will be the first to see the pctures. Each step we take you will be with us. Thanks so much everyone. Harvest season is around the corner and Rick will be in the fields. Hopefully we can start before that. Thanks to for patiently staying with me.
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 5:00PM
spitfire60
Short of ticking someone off, Mr Marchmain, you sound like a GRINCH... We are all having FUN throwing ideas out there to help Kerri.. yeah if you got with all the high end stuff in the pictures.. but that's not what this is about.. it's IDEAS being tossed out there for contemplation.. First of all the deck.. costs betw 1000 to 1500 and if it takes a year.. so be it.. all of the suggestions for Kerri, are exactly that SUGGESTIONS and ideas.. What Kerri has is an ONgoing project .. it took me 4 years once started to get my yard the way I wanted it and it looked great... No-one on this site I believe expects it to be done this summer or even this year..yes a lot can be done with flowers/and some inexpensive deck furniture.. Heck I used my Microsuede Loveseat and chair on my condo patio under the stairs and when it rains I cover it.. As I said all these are just IDEA suggestions..

Kerri you keep trooping and don't pay any attention to anyone with an attitude. make you wish list and then as I said one item at a time.. I just happen to think, because of your son.. you might be able to get some free help not only with labor but material from Habitat for Humanities in your area.. Kaitte
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 8:55PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello friends. Feeling better today. I want to start digging Tuesday. Even if its just pulling grass around Jaelynn's memorial tree and hauling it with a bucket;)it's a start. Pictures will be soon. EBHD again thanks for your designs and your idea symbolizing her growing up. If it takes years to create Jaelynn's Courtyard I already know that her tree is a symbol of her growing up. She is already 4, not sure how old in heaven but she (the tree) will grow to be beautiful. Everyone keep staying with me. Because of all of you, we are close:) \0/
1 Like   August 18, 2013 at 9:21PM
spitfire60
Good, I think as we age, I'm 61 next week we learn the world is not going to fall apart if we don't do "something". Some days it's good to do nothing but relax/dream/contemplate, enjoy your husband and Elijah. As you said even 1 bucket is an accomplishment some days. Do just that one day at a time, do what you can, and know you did well. We are all part of this Universe, draw from it!!
1 Like   August 19, 2013 at 6:01AM
Kerri Daniels
Hello everyone, have not started project yet:( please stay with us and as soon as we can start I will post the first dig:)
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 8:13PM
papoodles
Hi Kerri!
Just wanted to let you know that you were in my thoughts today...hope that you are as well as can be.
xoxoxoxo
2 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 5:09PM
Kerri Daniels
Hello everyone! We'll today my husband surprised me with the beginning of Jaelynn's Courtyard. He carved a bench out of wood from our woods and the rocks we're dug up from our field. Great job hubby:) Can't do much cost wise, so this is perfect. Sorry have not posted sooner. Thanks again for your ideas. Soon as we can do more we'll post. Blessings\0/
5 Likes   September 21, 2013 at 4:56PM
armygirl1987
Perfect...
1 Like   September 21, 2013 at 4:58PM
Nancy Walton
Very nice, Kerri! He's a good hubby, you'd better keep him...
3 Likes   September 21, 2013 at 6:39PM
reptileaddiction
Looks great! I noticed that our tree isn't staked and looks kinda crooked. I would get that staked ASAP. Since it is such a small tree I am worried about it falling over.
0 Likes   September 21, 2013 at 8:03PM
LB Interiors
That's a cool bench! and creative way to use the wood!
0 Likes   September 21, 2013 at 8:47PM
Jayme H.
Hi Kerri...Great job on your courtyard, it always means more when something is done from the heart, like your husband's bench. Your courtyard/tree area is a great way to remember your daughter. And I am so very sorry for your loss.

Wanted to suggest a few perennials mixed in/around the base of the tree? Year end clearances sometimes have them for next to nothing...also if you know anyone with any that you could maybe take a chunk off of? I like coneflowers..they are hardy and add color.

Your son is an adorable child, I am so happy for him and you/your family that he is doing well after surgery. Having such a loving family undoubtedly has added to his improvement. May he continue to thrive and improve.
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 10:02AM
Backyard Inspiration: Quit wasting the space in your backyard
This is a before and after series for a backyard that...
Looking to redo a backyard and wondering who did the backyard?
Any info provided would be highly appreciated. Thanks....
Backyard Landscape
I wish to make the backyard in my "Pueblo Style" home...
Grass/Sod in Small Area in Backyard
I live in Miramar, Florida in a townhouse and my backyard...
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
Need help with decorating my living / dining room
I have painted the walls and brought the art work behind...
Dining room rug
I'm having hardwood installed in my formal dining room...
Garden design ideas
Hi all I have a garden that is roughly half an acre...
Kitchen Backsplash - what color and material?
I'm almost finished with a total kitchen remodel and...