Need advise on Landscaping and Patio
Meagan
What can we do to give this back yard a little help? I do not like the over hang attached to the house at all but i don't know what can be done about it. There is a big step down from the back door. Would a deck look better? Would like to incorporate a stone wall with a built in grill somehow. Any suggestions?
Red Berm
That is quite a large step down. Do you consider that if you are going to add a deck you will need to redo the overhead structure because it will be too close to one's overhead. For low impact I would suggest adding steps. If you are going to replace the overhead then you have more options.
2 Likes   Thanked by Meagan    July 18, 2013 at 7:16PM
At least look at the option of opening up the underside of the overhead structure so the patio would feel more airy.
2 Likes   Thanked by Meagan    July 18, 2013 at 7:20PM
cluedin
Assume it was already there when you bought. It looks like a builders idea of how to provide a roof over the bump out window and door, and then he just kept going? I would remove it. But you will need to do a small roof over the windw and door.
1 Like   Thanked by Meagan    July 18, 2013 at 7:29PM
2taniya
It looks like there isn't much shade to be found and thus the roof over the patio. The step down is too big as you said. How about a small landing at the same level as the slider door and a half step down from there to the main level? You could make it of wood or the stone you want. If you do the stone for the step/landing, carry it over to the left and under the triple window to fit in the features you want. You could build the stone wall out at a 90 degree angle from the house but the smoke and heat from a grill might then get trapped under the roof.

Is there a reason you have 2 tables on the patio? Do you need them both? If not, you could make a seating area with colorful cushions and of course some pots of flowers or kitchen herbs. You could also do a trellis and vine or shade curtain to provide privacy from neighbors or sun control. How nice the roof contains canister lights, and a ceiling fan. And perhaps a pull down shade curtain?

Is there also a smaller patio over to the right behind what is possibly the garage? Perhaps that is an open area that you could use for the kids to play on (bikes, chalks, etc) or a sunning area. Or even a fire bowl area so the smoke can blow away.

I'm curious - in the right foreground, what is the ramp looking structure with the lattice work?
1 Like   Thanked by Meagan    July 18, 2013 at 9:05PM
Meagan
Thanks for all the input! We appreciate it. The tables etc that you see are not ours. We close on this house next month so i'm just kinda brain storming right now. There is a smaller patio over behind the garage which we were thinking of using for the firepit area maybe. The steps with the lattice work leads up to the above ground pool. It has a large deck and is fenced in with the lattice. We definitely would like a more open patio ceiling....it just feels so cramped. And of course adding the deck without changing the ceiling would be completely out of the question. If we take the overhang off, im not sure how we would match up the missing siding without having to completely get all new siding. Any ideas?
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 3:42AM
cluedin
Build a small deck to step out onto with a small roof over it. Just cut that roof w ay ck.
0 Likes   July 21, 2013 at 3:57PM
cluedin
Way back ( ipad)
0 Likes   July 21, 2013 at 3:57PM
lkg1984
Do you need shelter from sun, rain, snow? Seems like it would be nice to keep some sort of cover. Here's an example, with barbecue:
1 Like   July 21, 2013 at 5:15PM
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
Some people would love to have a covered patio, but that ceiling sure looks oppressive. If you are happy with the amount of space on the existing patio, and it is in good condition, I would leave it intact rather than replacing it with a deck. Use the money you save by not building a deck for steps and perhaps a pergola overhead instead. We keep the lowest beams on the pergolas we design at least 8' off the paved surface below. That large step down likely is not to code. Would be relatively easy to get some cut stone step treads or possibly have a mason pour a step. Least expensive option would be wood steps but they would require the most maintenance and would look the most like an add on compared to the other options. Congrats on the house!
1 Like   Thanked by Meagan    July 21, 2013 at 5:37PM
Need major landscaping advise
Ok so I have no clue how to design a nicely landscaped...
Josh Harshman
Need major landscaping advise
Josh Harshman
I need advise for a plain. concrete. patio
I need advise for a plain concrete patio. It is 19'...
Linda Vernon
Need advise on construction of outdoor patio
Building an outdoor patio attached to house, it will...
kcnc
Need your advise! Patio colour
I have recently painted these chairs a dark walnut...
tslusc
square but round steel sink?
We love the look of the Kohler vault sink series for...
rjtravis
Need Advice for ceiling colour
I'm trying to decide if I should make the ceilings...
Lila Cormier
need help with paniting my house and resurfacing my hardwood floors
need help with how to DIY my hardwood floors and DIY...
vmclemore
sold by the yard?
okay i never bought fabric before, says its sold by...
Michael Johnson
Curtain style ok?
I love this pattern. Can this style work?
Colleen