Backsplash dilemma!!!
lcondreay
Help! Our cabinets ended up being creamier than expected and the tile white than expected....what can I do to help make this transition softer? Maybe yellow under cabinet lighting????? Does anyone know how much it would cost to retile this large of a space? I feel sick to my stomach.
0825sam
I'm not sure how to tone down the contrast but you may also find that you need to live with it a little. Did it just go in today? If you search houzz you'll find examples of cream cabinets with a true white backsplash.

July 18, 2013 at 5:52PM     
0825sam
I think you hardware will help too because it will set off the cabinets more so it won't seem as much like two big expanses of white that aren't the same
July 18, 2013 at 5:53PM     
lcondreay
Yes, just went in today or earlier this week. I have no idea what kind of hardware to put on the cabinets either. Do You Think I should just deal for now?
July 18, 2013 at 5:56PM   
Paul L. Johnson Interiors
Agree with sam0705. Looks like the protective material is still on the floors, there is no hardware yet, and no accent appointments. To me, the photo he provided really dolls the example up, and makes it work.
July 18, 2013 at 5:59PM     
0825sam
I think I would live with it a while and see how it looks when the kitchen is all finished and decorated.
I like the black hardware in the photo I posted if that fits with your style.
July 18, 2013 at 6:00PM     
0825sam
In this photo they play off the cream and white contrast. Since the white came out brighter than you anticipated maybe adding some bright white accessories here and there will help tie it together. Here they also use white opaque glass lighting.

July 18, 2013 at 6:04PM   
R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
Live with it for a while. If you still hate it try tinting the white grout in medium cream color or greyish cream color. it might help. If you search houzz for a white back splash with cream grout you will see lots of photos
July 18, 2013 at 6:12PM     
lcondreay
Thanks guys! Maybe I will just wait until it's all done. The floors will be super dark wood and then I'm putting these pendants over the island so maybe it will help soften it.
July 18, 2013 at 6:26PM   
giniaginia
Its nice. Its a perfect backdrop for a few awesome things. Get you pulls on the cabinets, some great looking pendant lights you won't even notice it. I'm more concerned about what goes above those cabinets?
July 18, 2013 at 6:27PM   
lcondreay
I know! This is the model picture do I am hoping I can find some accents like this.
July 18, 2013 at 6:29PM     
HI -- I think it looks nice . Cream and white look good together . Just paint the wall the same white as the tiles or match paint to the cabinets. Then it will look like you meant to do that ! Then add some colorful counter top décor . Then after you have lived with it for awhile and it still bothers you - then you can change it .
July 18, 2013 at 6:34PM   
giniaginia
That looks nice. Those pendants look a little small?
July 18, 2013 at 6:36PM   
lcondreay
I was thinking about painting a really soft/light gray. The pendants from the model house weren't my fav. The mercury glass ones are 7" in diameter and 9.5" in height...are they still too small?
July 18, 2013 at 6:43PM   
Amy Wax
Not to worry, I think you can work with it. Your eye is naturally drawn to where there is the most contrast. What is lacking is contrast right now. I would suggest adding dark hardware, a bronze or black and using the same color as an accent. Black canisters on the counter.. That kind of thing. You will find you are less focused on the white vs cream if you have other decorative elements in the room.
July 18, 2013 at 6:49PM   
lcondreay
Maybe I can make it work then. Ill live with it for a bit and then decide!
July 18, 2013 at 7:02PM   
Wyland Interior Design Center
Consider painting the crown and light valance molding white to match tile. You can also add white decorative corbels like photo #1. Then.....Add mural, maybe a something from Stone Impressions, selecting something on a travertine tile that is a similar tone to the cabinets. Stone Impression can add white paint to some of the areas for a slight upcharge. You will need to have some type of tile rope of chair rail to frame around it, like the examples below.

The tile mural can be glued over top of the existing subway tile with a 5 minute Two Part Epoxy Glue. Use masking tape to help hold the tile in place until the glue cures, about 24 hours. Wait until cured to grout. Once glued it won't come off, so make sure you have exactly where you want it placed.
July 18, 2013 at 7:17PM   
Wyland Interior Design Center
You could also glaze the cabinets with an off white glaze or caramel glaze, it will tends to make the cabinets look more an off white. Here is an examples of some of my kitchens with glazed cabinets.
July 18, 2013 at 7:23PM     
jolynn5280
Nfngnvhbyh chcgi
July 18, 2013 at 7:28PM   
BIG DILEMMA!!! Need help removing mosaic backsplash in kitchen.
So, my mother decided to take on a big project she...
Backsplash dilemma - need suggestions
Tuscan glazed cabinets, new Venetian gold granite here...
Kitchen backsplash dilemma
This is a photo of the kitchen in my guest house. ...
Help! Quick backsplash dilemma
Could you please tell me if this backsplash should...
backsplash dilemma, how do you?
How do you select and install a backsplash when you...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Need advice for hanging shelves
I'm creating a coffee station in our hallway. it is...
New Wood Floor Color?
I'm building a home with site finished red oak floors....
What shall I do with my backyard?
Dear Houzzers, I really appreciate your valuable...