I'm a newbie: please help me find a GC!
tykim1229
Which aspects of construction is important for a GC to do himself versus subbing out? For example, one GC I spoke with said he does all the foundation and flooring himself and subs out the rest. Is this good, bad, unnecessary? Any thoughts?
samsamyd
I'm new at this too, but my first guess is that I'd make sure that the GC does the part I was most particular or concerned about -- OR was willing to let me meet his sub-contractor who did that part. If I'm doing a bathroom and have my heart set on the star attraction being floor tile mosaic, I would want to meet the person doing the tiling first to see if we had the same notion of 'quality workmanship'. If I'm fussy about cabinetry (since woodworking is a hobby of mine), I'd want to want to have a detailed interview with the cabinet maker. Otherwise, I'd go for a GC who does the structural stuff himself - because you can't dress up or 'fix' bad structure --- if the bones aren't right, the body will look wrong.
1 Like   July 18, 2013 at 9:54PM
Garza Concepts
The easiest way to put is is that a Plummer does not do electrical work not the framer does landscape. A General Contractor supervises all experts in each field, it's very expensive to employ all of these people in one company. You can hire each sub but you are doing the supervision and you are responsible
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 10:11PM
GC's need subject matter experts for many trades (electricians, plumbing, heating/cooling, and so forth) , and they are subject matter experts for structural (foundation/framing) and some finishes - especially those that if they are done badly will reflect on his reputation (like flooring). You need to talk with his past clients / see past work to determine if you have the same quality standards. Subs are absolutely necessary - guys who just specialize in drywall or baseboards can knock them out faster than a jack of all trades.
0 Likes   July 18, 2013 at 11:07PM
Hoebeke Builders, Inc. / The BuildCHX App
Having been a General Contractor for thirty-five years, the best advice I can give is to find an honest GC that has good subcontractors. Specialization is a wonderful thing (think about Doctors here) and a subcontractor that has only done one trade in his career is going to be faster, and more thorough than the "jack of all trades." For more tips on project efficiency you might pick up a copy of UnHINGED - A Homebuilder's Secrets for Saving Time and Money, available on Amazon. Good luck!
3 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 2:10PM
antique ironing board console paired with distressed antique mirror?
Is this too much reclaimed vintage in one space? We...
melaniepaci
Small Bathroom, only 21" width for sink
Should I even replace my wall hung sink? What is available...
bippy2001
Addtion to home
What is a great program (windows based) for planning...
redheadsr
Which sofa a better match ?
Hi , Trying to find a second sofa to complement the...
ashleypink714
Repair fireplace pointing in firebrick.
The pointing in the firebrick needs repair. What is...
alpine29