Whats the best way to update oak kitchen cabinets?
Christine (Millerick) O'KeefeJuly 19, 2013
My kitchen cabinets are in good condition but the oak is so dated. Already changed out the hardware but... what is the best way to refinish them to freshen them up? Other ideas?
Laura
Paint them white, remove the dated appliance garage and put in new countertops. I'd go with a black or dark grey quartz.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 5:41AM
A Crew of Two
Hardware would be a good start. Also, a new back splash. The cabinets are not really bad. I would add some moldings to the top of them as well. A new counter top as well. If you are feeling adventurous, you could lightly sand them and put a darker finish on them. But I really think that just updating a few things could be a big change. The last pic is what a bad paint job can look like. Quincy Pull Lucian Glass Tile - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone Artisan Kitchen Remodel Kitchen Black & White Kitchen Update
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 5:51AM
scottieshull
Or, paint them a rich dark brown and lighter countertop with a great backsplash. You could even use the glass tiles.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 6:02AM
laurie0714
A light sanding and a new coat of poly would be good. Crown molding around the top would make a huge difference. Backsplash tiles would brighten up the space. How about a new countertop with an under-mounted sink, depending on your budget. Did you consider lighting? Is there a fixture over the sink? Under-cabinet lighting is really nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 6:10AM
Jean O
I agree with the coat of poly, mine were lighter than yours, I sanded them down and stained them about the same color yours are now, and the coat of poly made all the difference. Puts a nice shine to them. I guess it all depends on what your budget is to what kind of changes you want to make.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 6:15AM
Kim Bates
Hi Kelly, can you tell me why you think the last picture is a bad paint job?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 7:47AM
A Crew of Two
It isn't the paint job...the paint looks good. but if you look closely you can see the wood grain and on the right door you can see the sanding was not done properly. There is a wave in the molding on the door. When you paint you have to make the doors perfect. It's just my opinion, but to me the cabinets just do not look nice. Oak is hard to paint. Now if you like the wood grain coming through that's fine- it's all opinion and personal taste really.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 7:59AM
Lori
I would pay someone to paint them who will spray them -- they would look brand new. I also would do either white or black, depending onthe rest of your decor in your house. Add a cool backsplash and new counters -- Wow, it would be great!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 8:03AM
zennifer
A countertop replacement might be all you need, honestly. The cabinets themselves are fine, but the white Formica is really dating them. I'd look into a new counter, even just a new updated Formica or that rustoleum counter transformations stuff (don't know how well it holds up, so research that) over top. You can get granite sheathing for your counters, too, to save over slab granite.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe    July 19, 2013 at 8:09AM
Christine (Millerick) O'Keefe
Thank you everyone for your input, I am fearful of painting. Because of the heavy grain that would come through and Kelly pointed that our very well in the example

We are definitely going for granite countertops...feel like I need to lighten it up because the lighting is not awesome. Were leaning towards new venetian gold. Thoughts? What is granite sheathing?.
    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:48AM
Sand and stain. Do nOt paint. What lok do you want if more modern. Add brush nickel long pulls. Nothing on top of cabinets.stain a expresso.
    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:53AM
Add backsplash. With a color. That alone will change whole look. Take splash to bottom of cab.
    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:54AM
Add some color with kitchen accessories.
    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:54AM
Lori
really? Venetian gold -- it's okay, but why not look for something more unique and lighter, with a more white or creamy background?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 3:17PM
Marc Russell Interiors
Always hire a pro to refinish cabinetry. Worth every penny! Quartz will take a beating better than granite. Forget the sheeting idea, it looks cheap, and you will see seams next to the stove, etc... A new back splash should be installed while doing the countertops. If your installing under cabinet lighting, be sure to see what it looks like under the lighting before you purchase. Some lighting will give your tiles a green tint. In such a narrow space, be careful of the shine factor when picking back splash and counter tops.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 3:33PM
Need color help updating oak kitchen with 3 sided fireplace!
I'm new to Houzz. We just bought this house and aren't...
lisspi
Find best paint color that goes w/1995 honey oak kitchn cabinets?
I have tract home built in 1995 with the standard honey...
xgirl91
Need ideas for 1970's oak kitchen cabinet update
Hello everyone, I am so sick of looking at my kitchen....
Lexie Louwagie
Update needed to love oak "great room"
My kitchen is open to the living room. My 11 year...
jshawger
Need Help on Updating Oak Cabinets
I need help on updating my golden/honey oak cabinets,...
greenpaw
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the...
hamfighter
Bathroom update...my husband likes the big mirror, and I don't!
We purchased a home built in the 70's. The vanity...
Nancy Blowers
prep sinks
Planning a kitchen remodel and we're going to put a...
stosh55
Breathing new life into an old Cape Cod style farmhouse
My husband and I just bought this house and couldn't...
Ashley Antkowiak