horrible 80's master bath
nanharvill
Want to completely redo my master bath.
dalma darling
That is quite an 80's bath indeed! Am I seeing carpet on the steps leading up to the tub? These are great before pictures, you'll be so happy you have them. I see you posted this discussion a couple of months ago now. Any updates or are you still deciding on what you'd like to do with the space? You have tons of square footage with tons of potential. Looking forward to helping with this one!
September 19, 2013 at 2:40PM      Thanked by nanharvill
Maguire
Do you plan to move walls or just updating what you have? Do you plan to paint or replace the cabinets? I think I'd start by getting the wallpaper down. You have lots of space to work with, it should be fun.
September 19, 2013 at 2:55PM        Thanked by nanharvill
nanharvill
I tried to reply a minute ago, but did not work? Anyway, I've removed carpet, steps, part of the dividing walls around tub (had to leave part because of plumbing, vents, etc.), and the burgundy cultured "marble" vanity tops. Added a window (which you can't see in pics), niche for shampoo, and beadboard on front of tub platform. Not sure what do do next. Through the cafe doors to the left are the toilet and the shower stall, which I plan to replace with tile or stone. I also have some nice pale tan limestone which I may use for the vanity tops along with small white above-mount sinks. I will definitely steam that wallpaper off. I'm not sure beyond that. I'm open to suggestions. The adjoining bedroom is finished in sage green, white trim, and oak hardwood floors.
September 19, 2013 at 4:49PM     
Maguire
The tub looks a million times better. Good work!
Perhaps some of the travertine tile on the top of the tub deck too. Paint out your cabinets and change it's hardware, sticking to a brushed nickel or chrome to update. it goes well with blues and greens too. The beadboard is a nice touch. Take the huge mirrors down, and attach beadboard to the mirrored walls down to the back wall of the vanity area. Use smaller framed mirrors - you can have those cut - or get nice medicine cabinets if you need the storage. If the wallpaper is stuck on, adding a textured, paintable paper will save you some work.
Have you thought about the floor? I don't have any experience with tile that looks like wood, but I see that people on Houzz love it in baths and kitchens. Shown in the first photo below.
Crestbrook Residence
Master Bath
I had to post 3 times before it "stuck". Houzz must be having issues.
September 19, 2013 at 6:26PM      Thanked by nanharvill
nanharvill
Thanks for the encouragement! It's funny that you should mention textured paper - I actually checked out several books of it from Lowes a couple of months ago, and it's definitely an option. I also thought of putting up beadboard wainscoting - I think that would look great - and alternatively there is a textured paper that looks like beadboard.
White cabinets, fill in that sit-down knee space thing going on in the right vanity, new brushed nickel hardware - you know what I like! I will definitely put the limestone on the tub platform if I use it on the vanities. I love the colors in the pics you posted especially the one on the right with all the white subway tile - I can picture white wainscoting, the tan limestone on the horizontal surfaces with glass tile backsplashes and shower walls in those muted blues, greens, and tans. Gorgeous.
I was planning to leave the huge mirrors - they make the room seem more open and the one on the right reflects a lot of light from the new window. Plus my mom and I worked SO hard not to break them when we took out the horrible vanity tops - I think they will look good if I frame them out substantially. I'm going to try it anyway - if I hate it I can always rip them down.
As for the floor, do you think tile that looks like wood would look good abutting the real oak hardwood in the bedroom? It looks really nice in the Crestbrook photo.
September 19, 2013 at 7:45PM     
Maguire
The mirrors will look great framed out. I thought of the beadboard where the white subway tile is in the pictures too. I just used the textured beadboard wallpaper on the back wall of shelving in my laundry room. So quick and easy and it looks great. That's about as big as my do-it-yourself projects go.
I do think the floor tile will look great. It's not going to look like you tried to match and missed because it's different enough. But you have so many options with the travertine, still in keeping with the spa like feel. Do you have enough travertine for the floor too? If not, I'll look around for other options.
I can't believe how much energy you must have. Don't give up though. One thing at a time and before you know it, it'll be gorgeous.
September 19, 2013 at 7:58PM   
nanharvill
I have a good bit of limestone but I'm not sure I have enough for the whole floor - and there is quite a bit of floor space to cover. I'll have to get out my measuring tape and figure it out one of these days. If there's not enough for the floors, I was thinking I could use it for the shower walls which would help to tie the two areas together.
Do you like the cafe doors? I kind of hate them.
September 19, 2013 at 8:08PM   
heidihessgriffeth
The cafe doors make the room looked dated, IMHO. I used the paintable bead board wallpaper in my bath up to white wainscot at sink height, and it looks great.
September 19, 2013 at 8:33PM      Thanked by nanharvill
Good job. Are you doing yourself? No wainscoting . Not the right look. Seems like you are going for a spa feel? Though the wood like tile look great in pic. I would go to tile store, and get a sample. Travertine in gold tone is best bet with the oak floors next to them. Get rid of the ugly doors. Do you have wall space to hang a frosted glass barn style door. They hang on a brush nickel runner at top but need room on one side to push over. Why do you need door? If only using to separate space. Don't do it. I like the lime stone on vanity. Stain vanity darker with brush nickel or bronze. Don't paint wood, will chip. Use travertine in shower with a glass tile border, about half way up. A niche in shower plus a seat, is great. Are you getting help with tile work? It's hard and let a pro do it. Do demo yourself to save some money, like removing wallpaper. Huge job. Then get bids from reliable bath/tile people. Choose wisely, there are some scams out there. Never pay all monies up front. Hold final payment, till you are sure it's right. Paying with a credit card is good, because you can dispute charge if a problem. I rarely pay by check. Unless I know the company very well. Keep all finishes in brush nickel or bronze. And same tone going throughout, incl. wall color. A creamy sand. Take tile up wall in tub, don't forget to update faucets . There are some nice ones. Bronze is also a good look with travertine. Depending on your style. What is master? Good luck.
September 20, 2013 at 9:33AM      Thanked by nanharvill
Maguire
Nancy all on one post!
I think I'd have to agree with her on all but the bronze. I posted a picture of the type of barn door she's talking about. You'll need a lot of room on one side:
Style and Sustainability-Master Bedroom
WhisperWood Cottage
September 20, 2013 at 9:43AM        Thanked by nanharvill
wantsideas
Congratulations on the job you have done so far. I think removing the wallpaper and the café doors will make a huge difference.
September 20, 2013 at 10:01AM        Thanked by nanharvill
McGuire, yes those are the doors. I know I get on a roll, and can't stop my self. Lol
September 20, 2013 at 10:12AM        Thanked by nanharvill
I was thinking bronze, because not sure of style she's wants. And what master looks like. But, it all comes down to taste.
September 20, 2013 at 10:14AM        Thanked by nanharvill
Maguire
Usually I get 40 emails that you've posted a bunch of one liners! I'm a little worried because I completely understood your thought process. ; )
September 20, 2013 at 10:16AM      Thanked by nanharvill
Virtus Design
Keep up the great work!
September 20, 2013 at 10:21AM      Thanked by nanharvill
Sustainable Dwellings
I think you are on the right track.
September 20, 2013 at 11:05AM      Thanked by nanharvill
nanharvill
You guys are awesome. I feel so empowered. I don't have the wall space for the barn-style door, but I agree that no door is better than the cafe doors. I like the idea of staining the vanities dark instead of painting them. I have a good tile setter who has done work for me in my previous home. And I love brushed nickel for the fixtures - I think it will look great with the color scheme we seem to be developing.
Here are some photos of the master bedroom. I just moved into this house in June and my old bedroom was yellow & white stripes with blue accents, etc. You can see the holdovers from that scheme, comforter, etc, plus some of the chairs were in completely different rooms, as this bedroom is significantly roomier than my old one, so that green one for instance needs to be either gotten rid of or reupholstered. I am changing to black accents but that is only partially accomplished.
September 20, 2013 at 3:09PM     
So you have more of a traditional look. Brush nickel is very modern. Maybe a re do of master is in order? We're here to help you spend money.
September 20, 2013 at 3:18PM     
nanharvill
HAHAHA. And it's so EASY! Like I said, the bedroom is in transition. The walls and the floors are all that have been changed so far. The bed is going, will probably keep the chests of drawers and the antique dresser, not attached to anything else.
September 20, 2013 at 3:27PM     
Maguire
What a spacious bedroom! You've done a beautiful job, great floors, wall color, crown, drapes. All so tasteful. Post work-in-progress bathroom pictures when you get around to it please.
September 22, 2013 at 8:05AM   
want to update master bath stuck in the 80's
last redo shower leaks, needs more room would love...
Best design to update my 80's master bath
Bath and toilet are in one room and then double vanity...
my master bath is right out of the 80s. help!!
Chair rail? Cracked tub. And very very small 7ft in-2in...
My Master Bath and Walk-in Closet are stuck the 80's!
We have a beautiful home in a charming neighborhood...
Please help me with the living room
Hello there, Our living room is long and narrow. I...
new kitchen update
We recently embarked on updating our kitchen. We had...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Ideas to modernize dining room set? Please ???
I inherited this set from my parents and hate it. ...