I don't know where to begin. My house is blah.....

ladysmallJuly 19, 2013
My house right now feels very boring and blah. We always start to change paint and start to redecorate(or attempt) but we just don't know how to make it our own and make it flow. I love my home I just feel so uncomfortable with the decor or lack there of
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Margo
Well, it is a bit on the somber side. I would start by taking down the two tall glass vases above the cabinet. I would remove/paint the moulding white around the door, and the baseboards too. I would add a white subway tile with white grout to break the dark color. You already have a 4" backsplash so keeping it clean and simple will work and lighten. Add a accent color such as tangerine to brighten ;)
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:09AM
Margo
Carry over a curtain like this to tie in with the kitchen accent color ;)
Modern Curtains · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:12AM
meganjacksonmeder
As a designer I can tell you the best place to start is - everywhere:) As in come up with a complete game plan even prior to painting. It can be VERY overwhelming otherwise. Look on houzz or in design magazines and find a general concept that you like in a room that has some similarities to yours (or the before photo did anyways). It looks like your kitchen, dining and living are all open to each other so flow will be important. Once you have a couple images you like see what those pictures have in common. Wood floors, soft window treatments, earth-tone paint colors, painted or wood furniture (or a mix), limited but bold accessories, etc. All else fails, maybe hire a designer for a quick consultation just to help get you started in the right direction - if this came easily to everyone we'd be out of a job:)
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:14AM
ladysmall
Yes Margo somber doesn't even begin to describe. Maybe that's why I feel so tired at home it bores me :) I do always get very overwhelmed with the inside because it is all open floor plan and I can't ever get it to flow well. The one time I thought I had it everything was brown lol and that was boring. That may be a good idea to hire someone for idea
    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:24AM
Margo
@ladysmall- the good news is, it is just a few cosmetics!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:31AM
PRO
A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
Megan gave you some good tips when embarking on this journey. You have to research and plan before you jump right in. I would work one room at a time, but always keep in mind the connecting rooms and spaces, so they flow together. But never under estimate the power of "homey" touches. Curtains, paintings, pictures, and lighting go along way. Your space (at least in the pictures) seems so dark. Add some more lights, or change the blinds to something that lets in a little more sun light to cheer it up. I would also pick up some more pieces of furniture for the living room. Maybe an entertainment center, or end tables with nice matching table lamps could be nice. Add new throw pillows that pop off the color of the couch too! Go crazy in Home Goods, that's what I do when I get bored! haha.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:33AM
PRO
GN Builders L.L.C
I see you have a sloped ceiling in your kitchen and being that is not a load bearing wall, you can add a few windows above the cabinets matching the roof slope, it will bring you some light and it will open the whole space up. Here is an example so you can get an idea.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 10:05AM
ladysmall
I love the windows.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 10:07AM
PRO
GN Builders L.L.C
Thanks! It will bring a nice effect to your kitchen and with the nice paint selection and nice kitchen cabinetry, you will have a real nice kitchen.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 10:14AM
lepstein
If that kitchen wall overlooks your neighbour's, be sure to get proper permits. It's not a question of privacy, but of fire regulations. You wouldn't want to compromise your insurance.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 1:11AM