HELP.... Modern or contemporary... Need ideas
Tahara Dawkins
I need to decorate my living room. I like modern or
Contemporary furniture. Any ideas? I'd like to keep the area looking at the doors open (no sofa facing the doors) to keep the open feel. Please help!
anne dee
contemporary

July 19, 2013 at 12:58PM     
Anne
Put together an idea book on Houzz of living rooms you love! This can help you focus on things you find in common in the rooms you really love. What is the style of the rest of your home?
July 19, 2013 at 1:04PM     
Well, I am assuming the window treatments are going...

I would do this as your floor space is somewhat limited. The size of the coffee table and the chairs could be tweaked so that you could get 6 chairs around. You probably won’t get any more than that anyway if you used a sofa and chairs.

July 19, 2013 at 1:05PM     
marygracepowers
Go to mobly furniture
July 19, 2013 at 1:26PM     
marygracepowers
In perry Georgia
July 19, 2013 at 1:27PM   
anne dee
for yr small space this pic shows small space concept design. http://www.houzz.com/small-living-room-with-fire-place
July 19, 2013 at 2:11PM   
ponitayl
You might try wooden shutters.
See the "Grey room in this article for a good color and curtain scheme:

Photos below from Hunter Douglas website
July 19, 2013 at 2:41PM     
Stanton Designs-online design services
Your room has a lot of traditional elements, if you were to go contemporary in the room, something would look odd. I would suggest looking more at modern/transitional. Start gathering some inspirational pictures to get you started.
July 19, 2013 at 2:44PM     
If you don't want the sofa facing the windows, this is the only arrangement left. If you truly want modern or contemporary, the window coverings must go and the art over the mantel needs to be larger and lower.
July 19, 2013 at 3:51PM     
Tahara Dawkins
Thank you all. The window treatments will have to go.
July 20, 2013 at 12:33PM     
On windows remove old stuff never cover glass on French doors, leave bare.on ends of windows Only add panels, in a chevon print in a accent color. Furn will float in room a 3 seater sectional with a chaise, (leather chrome legs) on window side sofa will face FP. Looking at windows place two armless chairs in a print. Sofa in soft gray. Use accent color in print on chairs. A very large square coffee table 36 or 40" is there a TV? You could put on FP, or if not put big art piece. Use potted palms in silk to fill corners n on side of firepl.
July 20, 2013 at 12:44PM     
ponitayl
Not sure which way you're going with window treatments, but even if you go with the plantation shutters, I would still frame them out with curtains, my fav. site for affordable curtains that are very well made is Lightinthebox: http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/curtains_5092
for housewares, no tariffs, no extra fees, no sales taxes. Shipping costs are very minimal, and timing is about 2-2.5 wks. They make the curtains per your order, the lengths go up to 96", you'll see when you visit the site. (I was a purchasing manager in my last position and daily shop the internet for the very best at the very least cost!) I should change my name to "The Smarty Pants Miser"!
Oh, you can choose the mounting options, tab, rod pocket, etc.....
Good Luck and please share the final project with us!
July 20, 2013 at 12:56PM   
lucindalane
If you want to keep the area in front of the doors completely clear, that really does limit things. It also seems that other elements in the room limit furniture placement, like the door across the room from the fireplace. You could get two matching upholstered chairs and place them both on the left side of the fireplace, with a table between them. These would be sitting on that angled part of your carpet. You could then place another chair opposite them, still sitting at an angle, with its back to the window and doors. If you got upholstered chairs with just clean lines, then it would fit both the traditional feel of your room, but keep to your own contemporary preferences with the straight lines.
July 20, 2013 at 1:36PM     
Traditions Window Decor
Wall space around the window makes draperies a little difficult so I'd continue with what you do feel comfortable with. If you go with shutters on the windows, you could really go a lot of different directions. There are some really great moderns shutters and I know that I carry at least two lines that have hidden hinges to keep the look of them as clean as possible. It is too easy to think that shutters = traditional....but the products have come so far in the last few years. I look forward to see which direction you take.
July 20, 2013 at 2:06PM   
Need help with the color of our sectional
Hi Fellow Houzzers!!! We decided that a sectional...
Bedroom flooring
We have an open Eichler house and recently laid tile...
wood floors
Thinking of selling our home and we are wondering if...
Garage Door Repair Antioch
We can usually repair a broken garage door to mint...
HELP - Best Paint Color with Oak Cabinets
Our kitchen has those honey-colored oak cabinets (great...