4x12 subway tile instead of 3x6 .... what do you think?
julie77777
As a general rule, is there any reason to stay away from 4" x 12" subway tile for a backsplash? I saw some yesterday that I loved. I have two areas that will be tiled - about 3 lineal feet and 7 lineal feet. Not a large kitchen. I'm going with a solid color semi-gloss glazed tile as my countertop is rather busy. Transitional kitchen feel. Just wanted to toss this out ... please let me know if I should steer clear of the 4x12 subways for any reason.... thanks! (Might consider 4x8 also.)
Stanton Designs-online design services
4x12 is large. Generally that is used for flooring or like a shower wall. Not to say that you can't use, there is not general rule. Do you have a picture of your kitchen? To get a better idea.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 19, 2013 at 2:42PM
julie77777
Hi Stanton - Cabinets and countertop not installed yet.... Maybe 4"x8" size is more reasonable. It just seems like I see the 3x6 all the time and I was wanting something (still reasonable price) that was a little different. Plus I'm wanting less grout/ fewer grout lines. And I don't want a square tile. If you Houzzers think 4"x12" subway tile would be super-weird as a backsplash, please tell me :)
    Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 6:18PM
0825sam
I like 4x12 for something different. I was looking at 6x12 when we did ours. Since the distance between counter and cabinets is usually 18 in you can get enough tiles in that it doesn't look awkward (in my opinion :)
This looks like its 4x12

Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 19, 2013 at 6:38PM
0825sam
More like 6xsomething

Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 19, 2013 at 6:39PM
julie77777
sam0705 - Thanks! I need to look around for some more pics so I can see some examples of 4x8 and 4x12, and all the same color. I like that picture from two entries above, where the 4x12 is shown.........
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 6:23AM
I really like the look of the larger subway tiles in more modern kitchens.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 22, 2013 at 6:33AM
0825sam
When you're looking search large format subway tiles you'll get some examples
These are described as 4x13 http://houzz.com/discussions/261657
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 22, 2013 at 6:47AM
julie77777
I'll check out that URL, Sam0705!
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 8:03AM
julie77777
Still leaning towards the 4x12's ...
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:00PM
suetutko
Hi: Urban Zebra makes a porcelain 3.5 X 15 glazed tile. has a bit of a texture, but lots of shine. I'm with you on the fewer grout lines.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 25, 2013 at 10:34AM
julie77777
I'll check out Urban Zebra. Sounds interesting! Thanks!
    Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:21PM
valeriepro
I am so tired of the 3x6 staggered subway - I think the 4x12 is refreshing and far less common. I am going with4 x12 travertine staggered or 2x8 stacked, not staggered - just need to decide. The frosted glass is also nice, newer and contemporary.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    April 10, 2014 at 12:49PM
dclostboy
I used 8x16 with accents...whole wall instead of backsplash
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 12:55PM
julie77777
I had completely forgotten that I posted this discussion!! I am finally getting ready to hire someone to do this, although I originally thought that my husband and I would do it (he has done some floor tiling). I think I've decided to go with a 2 1/8" x 8 1/2" tile. My space is pretty small and the 4"x12" looked a little "big" there (when I created a bunch of "paper tiles" and stuck them up with tape!) valeriepro -- I am also considering stacked instead of staggered...just not quite sure on that issue yet! good luck!
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:00PM
joancuneo
What are the colors of your cabinets & countertops?
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:12PM
valeriepro
I just found thetileshop.com better prices for the 2x8 $8 -$13. Here is a pic of my brother's kitchen with 2x6 limestone STACKED - again I think I want 2x8. and I will go lighter
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    April 10, 2014 at 1:14PM
jrjf1957
We just re-did our kitchen and the area for the back-splash wasn't huge, so we bought 4" tile and did a subway design instead of just having that stacked tile look. We broke it up by putting an oil-rubbed bronze ribbon above the last row before the countertop and added a few ORB medallions throughout. It turned out really cute. The tile was a neutral shade so it complemented the cabinetry without being the only thing in the room you would look at.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:34PM
valeriepro
Pictures are great!
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 2:27PM
mindyk9
I'm going with 4.25" x 12" in the wet area of bath. Nemo Tile has very reasonably subway tiles for around $5 or less psf depending on size. Called Metro tile. Now I have to decide, stacked, or brick layout.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    April 17, 2014 at 5:51AM
julie77777
I taped up pieces of paper to give me a rough idea how the various size tiles might look (that is NOT the color tile I will use!) I am planning to use Daltile Modern Dimensions in Urban Putty - semi-gloss; I think I am going with the 2 1/8" x 8 1/2" size (but haven't ruled completely out the larger ones - approx 4" x 12"). Stacked seems to work better in my kitchen -- I think?? Of course I forgot to take a pic of when I had the small ones taped on in the staggered pattern! I want something that is going to look good for years and years -- timeless and classic, not trendy. Should I go with the smaller size and stacked? Thanks for your input.
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 11:39AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
When deciding on size of subway tile, the best thing to keep in mind is the smaller the tile the more grout lines you will have which always change the look (and busyness) of a backsplash. If you want a more clean/fluid look, opt for larger/longer tiles. Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    May 9, 2014 at 11:45AM
julie77777
P.S. Also, I am going with the skinny grout lines ( 1/16" ). And I am planning to have grout that is fairly close to the color of the tile..... it won't be a huge contrast.
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 11:50AM
julie77777
With the large ones stacked (and I believe I would need to have full tiles on the end - on the right side of the pic) .... I worry about them "conflicting" with the large cabinet above..... where the vertical grout line might be too close to the vertical split of the two cabinet doors.
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 11:54AM
Building Vision - Evanston, IL
If you're curious, you could draw a pattern based on each tile size on paper or foamcore board from a hobby store and put it up on your backsplash to see if you feel like it would be too big.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    May 9, 2014 at 12:09PM
julie77777
Comments welcome! Thanks......
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 4:59PM
mindyk9
I've decided to go with 3 x 9 which I hope is a happy medium. I'll soon see.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    May 9, 2014 at 7:24PM
julie77777
Decision: Going with the 4 1/4" x 12 3/4" Daltile Modern Dimensions glazed field tile in Urban Putty (like a light beige-taupe) and found very close to matching grout for 1/16" grout lines. Should have it installed within 3 weeks! Thanks for all the input!!
    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 9:22AM
cbednar0126
Would love to see how it turned out!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 3:11PM
valeriepro
I purchased another tile off the internet and it was so dramatic I thought I could not stack it. I continued in my search but finally just gave up. It is OK - just not quite what I wanted. 2x8 size tile.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 12:19AM
julie77777
valeriepro - I think that tile is very pretty!
    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 6:20AM
julie77777
cbednar0126 - I would love to show you.........but it's not installed yet!!!!!! grrrrr. soon hopefully.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 6:21AM
valeriepro
Thanks I would love to see it - after changing everything in my house in the past year....I could not take it one more week...I feel your grrrr pain.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 2:31PM
Need help with the size of glass subway tile!
I'm having a glass subway tile backsplash installed...
marjariitta
Choosing white subway tiles for the bathroom
We are looking at purchasing white 3"x6" subway tile...
4boysrus
Matte or Glossy for Subway Tile in White Kitchen?
We are building a house and settled on a white kitchen,...
shopkenley
Is glass tile like this a particular "style"?
Is this style 3x6 glass tile backsplash considered...
ayeymg
My Green Kitchen
Hi. Just bought my first home. When I first saw it,...
marliapjess
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Need help with kitchen
I am building a house and I can not decide between...
angieweinrich
Need ideas!
This is my "formal" living room. I would love some...
jodiezerega
What Color/Colors whould you paint the Table?
I just Repurposed this 5 panel door for a dining room...
Jeff H