Has anyone ever seen a glass (not tile) backsplash?
Sherri Griswold
I have wallpaper that I've drooled ocer for years. I have no traditional place to use it in my 1910 bungalow. I need a kitchen backsplash. My idea is to put the wallpaper where the blacksplash would be and cover/protect it with nonglare glass. Has anyone ever seen this done anywhere? I'd love to hear your opinion of whether this is a viable project and any pros and cons you can imagine. Thanks!
That sounds like an utterly charming idea, Be sure the glass is well sealed so no moisture will get at the paper. Maybe someone else knows better how to protect it.
4 Likes   Thanked by Sherri Griswold    July 19, 2013 at 5:37PM
Allison Burnfield McAteer
Google plexiglass backsplash and several images come up using wallpaper behind it. Good luck. I don't really know much about the pro or cons so I can't help with that.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sherri Griswold    July 19, 2013 at 5:50PM
noiwh8
Glass is red hot right now, so you won't get funny looks when you invite a glass contractor out to measure. The only tricky edge is the bottom, but if you already have a backsplash edge (3-4" high extension above your counter) you are golden and this is a DIY project. I would make it glass rather than acrylic because the glass won't scratch as easily/quickly and the labor to cut the material is almost the same. If you have to seam the glass, a clear sealer will do the trick, but be stingy and avoid flooding the seam so that the caulk reaches the wallpaper. Just a tiny bead on your side is plenty.

Who has installed glass backsplash and can add some tips?
0 Likes   Thanked by Sherri Griswold    July 19, 2013 at 6:01PM
bubblyjock
There have been quite a few Ideabooks covering this idea - it's one I'm hoping to go with, too! Using fabric, though. Figure we'll make a frame so it's almost like you've got a custom-made picture frame, so you can swop out the image when you feel like it.
Kitchen remodelling in South Bristol Arlington Ridge Grant Park Kitchen Remodel
1 Like   February 9, 2014 at 3:05PM
dclostboy
I would use starfire glass to minimize color distortion and use j channel supports.
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 3:33PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I can see why you are in love with that paper. What a lovely and unique look for your kitchen. I would love to see photos when you are done.
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 3:37PM
leelee
How much of the paper do you have? What is the height? I'm trying to figure out how to use the paper without putting glass behind a sink or stove cause it'll be a headache to keep clean and sparkling.
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 3:38PM
KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
You have a great idea - the paper is lovely - all you really need to do is contact a glass fabricator in your area and let them template and install so you'll have no problems in the future - they should warrant their work. And as far as up-keep, leelee is incorrect, glass is easy to clean - much better than tile!
1 Like   September 14, 2014 at 2:22PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
I agree with KR above
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 2:28PM
skagitnana
Sheri, that link takes us to all of your pictures, which may be more than you want us to see. The elephant was cool, though.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sherri Griswold    September 14, 2014 at 6:40PM
Sherri Griswold
Skagitnana, thank you for the "heads up," and I'm glad you enjoyed the elephant. That was a bucket list event and was fabulous.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 9:28PM
Sherri Griswold
The glass contractors I contacted all said my idea was not possible because there was no way to seal the paper behind glass. So, I painted it myself. I hope you can see it behind the stove in this pic of my kitchen decorated for Christmas. I painted it all around, but you can't quite see that in the photo.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 9:37PM
skagitnana
That is really cool. I love the A&C cabinets. Old house?

Re elephant...Thailand? I was in Chaing Mai in 1994 and went to a logging camp. Had a whole hand of bananas snatched by a greedy trunk.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 10:40PM
That's super cool that you painted the scene yourself for your backsplash!
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 4:06AM
Sherri Griswold
The house was built in 1910. The original kitchen was not intact, so we added this one. A cabinet maker created the cabinets for us. We tried to stay as close to the period as we knew how.
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 9:32AM
Sherri Griswold
Elephants are at Two Tails rescue in Gainesville FL. Fabulous visit there.
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 9:34AM
bungalowmo
Nice reproduction of the Bradbury & Bradbury!! LOVE their stuff!

Your kitchen is totally cute! :0)
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 9:42AM
Sherri Griswold
Thank you Bungalow. I love the paper too and would have preferred to use it in fact rather than just inspiration for the painting. But we do what we have to do. I didn't think about contacting them about how to use it effectively as a backsplash.
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 1:19PM
Has anyone ever seen these Trump Home candle holders?
My largest candle holder from Trump Home broke and...
Has anyone ever seen/used these tubs? How's the quality?
it would be perfect for my 2nd bathroom en suite but...
Has anyone ever seen anything like this?????
I found this lamp in my mothers basement, it's GORGEOUS!...
Has anyone EVER seen this before?? Help!!
I need help - not sure if there is any way to fix the...
Buyers remorse or OCD? New house, new stuff, no clue!
We just moved into our new custom home and I can't...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Need help decorating my new bedroom
Just got my master bedroom set and I need some help...