No access to a beautiful back yard.
sarahlkopp
1970's home in South Dakota with no access to the back yard (other than through the garage). Home is a 4 way split level with the Master bedroom, guest room and den on the 4th level facing the back yard. A family room and bathroom on the 2nd level also face the back yard but it's not feasible to do a walk out. A screened in porch (mosquito city) and a deck to bring more dimension to the house would be ideal. Welcome all ideas. Funky ones encouraged!
Tres McKinney Design
There is nothing like tiny windows on the back of the house to imprison you from your back garden. This was typical of all houses built before very recent times. A back door and small stoop was all that was deemed necessary for the back of the house. Add French doors in every possible location feasible and a screen porch if necessary rather than a deck. You will NEVER regret the expense as it will enhance the qualiity of light in the interior as much as the exterior and access to nature and your back garden. PEASE! contractors and architects and DIY'rs take note when designing homes or remodels.
July 19, 2013 at 8:00pm      Thanked by sarahlkopp
honeapathsc
Sarah, why do you say a walk out is not feasible. I take it the three windows are the family room. Why not dig out that area and replace the windows with French doors leading to a sunken patio. Use stone retaining walls to hold back the soil. On the back side have steps leading up to the yard. You would have to design for drain off and reface the house wall but should not be that difficult.
July 19, 2013 at 9:20pm      Thanked by sarahlkopp
ruthmand
You could turn the den window into a slider or door and put a small deck out there with steps leading to the ground. If the den is on the left, garage end, even better yet. Or you can put a larger deck up there and screen it in.
July 19, 2013 at 9:28pm      Thanked by sarahlkopp
sarahlkopp
Thank you for your ideas. My next step is contacting someone with creative design ideas and drawing up a plan. A bonus would be a work shop for my husband, if only I could fit that into the plan. He is Mr. Fix It and deserves a great space for his many projects and tools. He can build it but we need help designing it.
July 22, 2013 at 9:20pm   
No access to the back yard and a inapropriate stair case placement
Hi ! have an issue with a house that has no flow between...
A client needed access from their deck to the back yard
Working with the landscape designer we designed this...
Back Yard Beauty
I love how playful the tall "grassy" plants are! I...
Pergolas on side and back yard are fantastic - beautiful work
Love the screen as well. Know of any sources for...
Need help picking a quartz countertop
I have medium brown oak cabinets. The cooktop, range...
changing my room
I want to change the decoration of my room totally...
changing my room
changing my room
Family room colour ideas needed.
I have just purchased some gray/brown leather couches...