Guest room colours -South Africa
rolyandflick
This is the main guest room in our new-build home. I loved the headboard fabric(aloes) and chose the blinds and curtains to complement. Everything else is existing furniture. I 'm not crazy about the reddish accents and the chair needs reupholstering. I find the space a little impersonal! Have included a photo of a print on a wall adjacent to the headboard - maybe pick up the green ? maybe move the print to over the bed? All inspirational ideas welcome!
rolyandflick
Grey moment! Here is the print for "Guest Room Colours-South Africa' posting.
July 19, 2013 at 11:17pm   
Ed
Hi Roly, photo #1 with only the bed looks nice. Not crazy about the armchair in Photo 2.
July 20, 2013 at 6:05am      Thanked by rolyandflick
indianpatti
I like your red accents! I think a picture above the chest that is a bit larger and has red would look nice. If you cannot afford to replace/recover the chair, maybe toss a red throw over a good portion of it.

The S.A. pic is awesome ... will need to add other S.A> themed items to make it work on that large wall, baskets, etc.
July 20, 2013 at 6:38am      Thanked by rolyandflick
chemayne
Glad to hear the chair is getting reupholstered. I think if you mix the pillows up by adding another African colour element, the reds won't look so dominating. Saw these intriguing inexpensive pillows
African wax print pillow covers 1
African wax print pillow covers 2
And then I saw this cute decal to go over the headboard if you want conservative
Vinyl Wall Decal, Africa Safari Scene by Wall Decals & Quotes
July 20, 2013 at 7:08am      Thanked by rolyandflick
Rina
Hi. I'm a newbie, also in South Africa. Not a pro designer but a retired arts critic so I have more opinions than I know what to do with. I love your aloe print -- but I think the wall behind it should be painted dark to do it justice. Would you consider charcoal, or a dark, deep version of your accent colour? (I like the red, by the way.) I also think the sconces don't do the print justice. Something more ornate would work better. Wood? Wrought iron? Basketwork shades?
July 22, 2013 at 2:08am        Thanked by rolyandflick
BannerBuzz
Don't Change the color, Just apply good looking wall stickers.. It will improve visibility of your guest room.

refer some wall stickers projects, you will get awesome ideas over there... you can also refer my prjects.. ;)
July 22, 2013 at 2:13am      Thanked by rolyandflick
rolyandflick
Hi Rinamin. Thanks for your input! You are right about the accent wall-but I
used them in all the` bathrooms( my white bath stands proud against the very charcoal wall which you envision!!) and I fear accent-overkill may be the result! A recent flash of inspiration was to have a fab mirror made - to fit btw the wall lights- but not proportionately as high. I have seen broad frames with geometric designs( a nod to the Afro hints in the room). The sconces were chosen for their practicality. Maybe in time I can do something about the shades. ( maybe I could revert to my student days in the 70's, and ' gooi' a little red 'lappie' over the shades!!-LOL). Once again, Thanks!
July 22, 2013 at 11:25am   
Rina
Good morning rolyandflick (SA time). It's a pleasure -- at least I got your design style right. I like the sound of the frame.
July 22, 2013 at 10:14pm   
kaylenn
Omg I'm so sorry Ed my 16 year old son waz messing around I do apologies
July 22, 2013 at 10:50pm   
Rina
PS: Ah yes, the red lappie. Timeless, that one.
July 22, 2013 at 11:02pm   
Ed
Hi kaylenn... Hmmm? Not sure what you mean? :)
July 23, 2013 at 2:53am   
Lighting design
We are working on finishing our basement. We are all...
Remodelling old teak wool cupboard
I have this 85 year old teak wood cupboard!! Was wanting...
How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?
I live in an apartment in Mumbai, Infia. Here, like...
Large lounge room layout.
My lounge has a fire on one wall and the TV on the...