What kinds of problems are caused by wet rooms?
hillandsett
July 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Master bath renovation. Considering a kind of modified wet room on one side of the room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldroo
Assuming your room will be well waterproofed and the tiles laid professionally, I can't see any structural problems. What are you planning for the wet room? A lot depends on how much will get wet at any one time. You may also want to consider non-slip tiles for safety too.

Photos of the room and what you plan to do would be helpful.
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 5:14AM
PRO
Tradewetrooms.com
Poor installation and cutting corners are the main cause of wetroom failures, if installed correctly issues do not arise.

Wetrooms have become progressively more popular within the UK, particularly with the contemporary tile designs and ability to install wetrooms within the smallest and biggest of bathrooms or ensuites. http://www.tradewetrooms.com has a team of wetroom consultants that are able to help you with your design and style, ideas and installation.
0 Likes   Thanked by hillandsett    November 10, 2013 at 1:26AM
Ed
Hi hillandsett, pardon my ignorance, what is a wet room ?
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 10:25PM
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Wet rooms are not common in California yet, but I suspect they will be popular soon. They started in places where bathrooms are extra tiny and therefore the entire bathroom is waterproofed so that the shower and the sink and toilet are all side by side with a drain in a sloping floor and tiles on the walls and ceilings........

We have started to design large walk - in showers without curbs for our clients which is a move in the direction of wet rooms.......

I have always been fascinated with the idea of an entire bathroom as a wet room and with a built in hose that sprays everything down and cleans it instantly with a spray of soap and a blast of water.............I hate cleaning bathrooms and this is the best solution that I can think of......
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 12:24AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Re: Ed "What is a wet room"
This is a new concept to me also. But as i understand it, a wet room is a room that can be completely hose'd down with water, and the wooden studs within any walls behind shall not receive any of that moisture....
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 12:44AM
PRO
Tradewetrooms.com
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 12:45AM
PRO
Trending Accessibility
General problems from wet-rooms always fall back on installation methods and procedures. In all wetroom applications, best practice methods is to cover all corners with tape and apply a liquid membrane on "all areas that may be in contact with water, such as the floor, all walls and even the ceiling within the showering area throughout the bathroom."
- - - - -
To respond to the "what is a wet-room question"...
By (wikipedia) definition: "A wet room is a bathroom without internal dedicated or raised areas which has an open shower. Structurally, a wet room requires the bathroom to have a gradient or slope towards a drain hole, and a foul air trap connecting the floor to the waste pipes."

To that definition we'd like to add that the slope is roughly 2% which is generally un-noticable, and that the slope in European bathrooms apply to the whole bathroom space.

In the US where our bathrooms generally are on a larger scale, we anticipate the slope only occuring within the shower space and within a certain distance between that space and a certain area of the bathroom versus the entire bathroom area.

For that reason, we strongly encourage waterproofing MINIMALLY 12-inches up from the floor for all walls, corners and seams in contact with such throughout the entire bathroom. IDEALLY we encourage waterproofing the whole bathroom space.
- - - - -
WE SELL AND RECOMMEND- (1) PreSloped Shower Pans, (2) Crack Isolation Tape and (3) Copolymer Latex as a Liquid Membrane.

WE REQUIRE FOR WARRANTY- acrylic latex caulk and construction adhesive to be used when installing our wetroom shower pans.

WE RECOMMEND- using latex grout for the tile space instead of other grout types.
- - - -
We like the link provided by TradeWetRooms.com (above) and recommend our website as a source for additional information as well as our YouTube channel which addresses How-To methods.

European Wetroom- http://www.trendingaccessibility.com/european-wet-room.php

Wet Room Waterproofing- http://www.trendingaccessibility.com/wet-room-waterproofing.php

YouTube Installation How-To DIY Videos- https://www.youtube.com/user/TrendngAccessibility

Should anyone have any questions, post a reply, visit our website or give us a call.

Good luck, thanks and holiday regards.
1 Like   December 13, 2013 at 12:17AM
Curt D'Onofrio
I seen pics of wet rooms where the floor is ceramic + grout. Is the grout generally slightly lower than the tiles surface? If so, then isn't some of the water prevented of draining ? Over a matter of time does this standing water generally cause problems ?
1 Like   December 13, 2013 at 5:45AM
PRO
Trending Accessibility
In response to grout and tile, yes, grout is generally below the surface of the tile area. So your question pertaining to standing water conceptually makes sense. Keep in mind that latex grout is used instead and that grout prevents water penetration. Again... everything falls back to the adherence to proper installation methods. Below is a link to one of our installation video's specific to Waterproofing. Hope that answers your question... we otherwise defer tiling specific questions to those tiling trade professionals.

2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 8:00AM