Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7388907

Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y

User
10 years ago
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an empty area between my garage and my house where one could be built from scratch.

We are in the process of getting some estimates from diff contractors. The first one came in at 26k! It works out to $130 a square foot. This is much more than we were expecting.

The issue is that we just refinanced, so we just got our house assessed 2 months ago. I asked the assessor how much value a screen porch would add to the house. He said about 7k.

So that's a loss of 19k and a pretty low ROI percentage. Like crazy low.

I'm hoping that other contractors come in lower. Honestly, we just want a super simple one built.

As much as I'd really enjoy using one, doesn't it seem like 19k is a pretty big loss? I don't want to sit out there enjoying the backyard but simultaneously feeling like I'm just burning money...

What do you all think?

Comments (31)

• Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi truey, photos, please ?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No photos, it's not really a "what should this look like" post, but rather a "should I even do this" question
  • cluedin
    10 years ago
    Where are you located? Use depends very much on climate.
    Also, are you absolutely certain that sitting in the completed screened room will be enjoyable? Generally a room between the garage and house is called a breezeway and is a fairly public space, whereas a screened room is normally placed off a more private area of the home. It is only worth it if it creates a function that your home is lacking ( like another place to enjoy the outdoors) in my opinion.
  • anniebird
    10 years ago
    How long are you planning to live in your house? I think that really answers the question - if you'll be there for more than 10 years, do it.
  • PRO
    Dullea and Associates Inc.
    10 years ago
    truey - If you think about it a screen porch is a room. They have footings, foundations, floor and wall systems, electrical, ceilings and a roof. In your case it sounds as though the porch will also need to tie into the existing face and possibly the roof of your house.

Although they can be simple those you have included in your Idea Book contain some detail and nice finishes. Material prices have sored over the past year and labor has shown a steady increase making it difficult to build a screen porch for less than $100/SF. On top of all of this your contractor has to make some money.

I would be very causious if someone tells you they can build it for much less.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's not a breezeway, it's behind out house and it would be private with a nice view if the back yard.

I guess when I was doing research online, I saw people talk about screen porches being more like 50-70 sq feet...but maybe that's not really the case.

So say the 130 is a normal cost, again as it adds so little value to the house, is it worthwhile?

Also my idea book only has fancy porches in it because Houzz doesn't ever have pix of budget spaces...
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    In order to be functional a screen porch needs to be at least 100sf. However, every project is different. Should you decide to move forward you should consider furniture size, access (door swings), traffic patterns, etc.

You might want to check out some books or magazines on porch building from Home Depot, Lowes or Barnes and Noble.

Although it is difficult to justify the cost you may want to consider whether the screen porch would improve your overall quality of life.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh sorry, I meant 50-70 dollars per square foot.

The size of the porch is about 200 sq ft.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You MIGHT be able to have something baic built for $70/sf. The design and impact on the existing house will play a factor.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    You might put up one of those $300-$500 screen rooms from the big box stores to get a feel for how much you would use the space. Screen rooms can make a huge difference in enjoying the outside. Here's a less expensive camp-type model, not the fancier models: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Hex-Instant-Screened-Shelter/dp/B00339C3FA

You might also look at gazebo rooms from kits. Some can be screened. This would be a lot different (and a lot less expensive) from a "house like" screen room with electrical outlets, built-in lighting and ceiling fans, indoor/outdoor carpeting, etc.
  • cluedin
    10 years ago
    Maybe this is why you don't see too many screened porches anymore. I love those metal gazebos if someone could figure out a way to keep them from blowing away ( through your neighbors window).
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    Are you planning on staying in your home for a long time?
  • cluedin
    10 years ago
    Personally, i loved a screened porch if:
    1. It doesn't block light and view from the main living area of the house.
    2. It doesn't block the circulation from the kitchen to the barbecuing/ patio area. ( having to walk through a long porch with a plate of raw meat is a pain)
    3. The proportions are adequate, but cozy. Too big is just as bad as too small, and circulation through or around his room is critical.
    4. It is the most cost effective solution to a legitimate need in your area. (Are bugs bad? Does it rain alot? Is it super hot and installing a ceiling fan will allow you to be outdoors more?).

If you look at any list of improvements, the payback varies dramatically by geographical area. Obviously if you desire the screened porch, you must have a compelling reason. But you haven't really said what it is.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    If you live in an area where summers mean mosquitos, yet you like to eat outside, a screened porch is a wonderful addition.
  • DIAspoton
    10 years ago
    i'm having a screen porch built. it's about 2/3 way finished. 480 sq ft. had a few high estimates and had given up til i found this wonderful GC through a friend. he's now done quite a bit to my home. always excellent work and very reasonable prices. check around for referrals.
  • PRO
    Amanda Lyons Art
    10 years ago
    My husband and I have been considering a screened in porch as well. We live in Arizona and even though the summer days can be brutally hot, the nights a beautiful.
  • leslie1228
    10 years ago
    My mood, of late, is to try to "stop and smell the roses". Some things aren't fiscally practical. the return may not be price justified- so what. If you'll enjoy it, do it!
  • Connie
    10 years ago
    just use mosquito repellent ;)
  • Nancy Mallory
    9 years ago
    This is a bit late. I just had mine done, 240 sq feet. and it came out to $50 per square foot. all done by licenced contractor and permitted. the supports and deckboards are treated lumber (the deckboards are long, so no seams), everything else is maintenance free materiel. I paid 12K, and since it opened up a whole new living area to me (my house is south facing so the afternoon sun is brutal), if i only get a small portion return on investment it is still worth it. I am in Maryland.
  • Brutus Maximus
    9 years ago
    nancy, I live in md and am interested in a screen porch. I've gotten several estimates, can you tell me who your contractor was?
  • PRO
    Design Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Brutus - give us a phone call. We'd be happy to give you a free estimate :) 301-875-2781. We are located in Laurel and Bethesda.
  • Nancy Mallory
    9 years ago
    Brutus...I used Creative Deck Design. I talked to them (and several others) at the Maryland home show in the early spring. I had several estimates, and theirs was very competitive. The job ended up gorgeous,exactly what I wanted. they ended up having to do some heavy duty reinforcement supports, but that didn't end up affecting the price much.
    I went with Creative deck because I did not want a pre-fab (like Patio Enclosures), the price was good, and no pressure. I will note that I had a guy from Patio Enclosures come out as well, before I knew what the structure was like (I wanted the "stick built" look that would blend with my house). After he took measurements he did some calculation while i went to the other room for a few moments. When I came back, he turned his estimate sheet over and said to me, "guess what it came to?" REALLY? are we in middle school? I hate games like that. Anyhow, at first I said, 12K and then quickly decided it would be better strategy to guess absurdly high, so I said, "23, 350." He said, well not off by much! His price was $22,500!! But I would get a $1000 home show discount. After I threw up a little in my mouth I thanked him and said I would be in touch. He left and I threw his card away.
    Creative Deck Designs is located in White Marsh on Rt. 40. They do go all over. I am in Harford County.
    ps...my cats LOVE their deck. My deck. and now they can't fall, or jump off.
  • Brutus Maximus
    9 years ago
    Nancy, thank you so much for your quick and detailed response. I too live in Harford County (Bel Air). I've been to the home show in Timonium several times. My situation is eerily similiar to yours. I don't want a prefab porch but at the same time the word custom immediately equates to dollar signs. I will certainly check out this company. If you have any other tips or advice I'm listening
  • Nancy Mallory
    9 years ago
    I thought long and hard about putting on a porch since last year. I should qualify my job in that I already had a deck that I had redone 2 years ago. I went with a small one man operation. My original thought back then was the screened porch, but Harford county building has pretty stringent regs and I think he more or less chickened out of it, plus at the time the extra cost in the support structure was daunting. Creative could keep my deck structure except for the railings, since they were on the outside of the deckborads. Live and learn. The finished porch is 12'X20' with a shed roof, shingled in architectural shingles to match my house. If I had had them pull up the timber deck boards and put in composite, the price would have jumped several thousand. The price was based solely on linear feet of screen portion and square feet of roof, plus a bit extra to set an addition 5 posts. I live in a Bel Air townhouse and practically no one seems to get their decks screened in. I know that you really don't get return on investment, so you have to decide if it is something that will improve your life. Mine does. No bugs, no weather, it's cooler. Plus, since it is on the south side of my house, it really keeps the afternoon sun out of my main living area. It may not net me more money if I were to sell, but I think it might make it more saleable.
  • PRO
    Amazing EZ Screen Porch Windows
    9 years ago
    If you're looking to have a space that you can use more often and therefore sell to potential buyers as actual more usable square footage for resale, you may want to consider adding a heat source and/or you can use a product such as ours and have screens as well as vinyl windows. Amazing EZ-Screen Porch Windows allow people to enjoy the screen porch as it has always meant to be enjoyed but also shield their investment from the elements, whether that be wind, rain, dust, or snow.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Old post
  • ecasta
    6 years ago

Anyone know of a good contractor in Chicago area who builds these?

• PRO
    Amazing EZ Screen Porch Windows
    6 years ago

Would you be willing to provide me your zip code? I will search our data base for a contractor near you.

• geo55
    6 years ago

I would LOVE to add a screened in porch to my home too. Having a similar dilemma. I'd also like a small mudroom but I am concerned about the co$t. I am in the Chicago area too. Very open to contractor recommendations also.

• HU-396831888
    5 years ago

Go to thumb tack. I love the app. If you shop around, you'll get a better price. If the price is that high then I wouldn't in my opinion but I think whomever gave that estimate is very high.