Should we paint the entire exterior or just the aluminum siding?
melgrimes
Our 1940s traditional 2-story's aluminum siding needs to be painted. I've gotten a quote to paint just the siding and one to paint the entire exterior (brick included). Would you paint the brick? If so, what exterior paint colors would you choose? I would like to leave the shutters and door black. Our neighborhood has a mix of homes built in the 30s, 40s and early 50s and it is about equal with those that have chosen to paint brick and those who have not. Thank you!
the12shop
Personally I like the look of painted brick, however on the downside it would be something you'd have to do from now on I think. Your home is very pretty. If you wanted to leave the white siding, you could give it an update by changing door color and shutters. I think adding a front covered stoop or pergola would be nice. Also you could add some planted window boxes upstairs and downstairs for more color. If you do decide to paint, I think a gray-blue color would be nice with black/red accents, I also like the sage green colors.
July 20, 2013 at 8:06am   
melgrimes
Love the idea of the window boxes! Thx!
July 20, 2013 at 1:31pm   
melgrimes
Great colors! Especially the Spanish olive. Thx!
July 20, 2013 at 1:52pm   
cluedin
Paint the siding and garage doors first. Taupe would be nice.
Then decide about the brick. If it looks reasonably good it wont be worth the additional expense and maintenance of painted brick.
July 20, 2013 at 1:56pm   
bluenan
I love painted brick and live in an area like yours where it's quite common. I think crisp white trim and black door and shutters with a single body color will give your already lovely home a more sophisticated look.
Megan Cadogan
Custom Homes by Deer Creek Homes
Becker Architects
Martina Front Exterior
Suburban DC - Cahill Residence
July 20, 2013 at 2:05pm        Thanked by melgrimes
Hireagent99
I would paint your aluminum siding "white" again. I would remove the black shutters from the brick but leave them on the upper windows. Also add some "big" coach lanterns for lighting, freshen up the white garage doors and add "black" accents, like hinges and fake handles. As well big black urns or planters on each side of garage. Maybe even paint the white trim around the "nautical" window black to make it pop.
July 20, 2013 at 2:17pm        Thanked by melgrimes
Christine's First Impressions
I like the Exterior color of Sherwin Williams Stratford Blue- SW 2864. It goes great with the color white and black. You could paint the brick Stratford blue and repaint the siding white and with the white garage doors, the blue will pop.
July 20, 2013 at 2:20pm   
stephaniekramer
I'd whitewash the brick to blend in
July 20, 2013 at 2:23pm   
Amy Wax
I love the look of painted brick also.. but I dont think it will work on your home. I would paint the top half of your home a dark beige or taupe to blend in with the brick,, but leave the brick along, it looks great.
July 20, 2013 at 2:25pm     
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
Houssons paint colors are all good for the white siding. Leave the brick alone. Brick has more resale value and it adds a richness. Paint the trim at the roof white. Get wider shutters that are half the width of the windows for the second floor and paint black. Proportions need to be correct. Remove the shutters at the 1st floor bay window. paint the garage doors the same matt black color as the shutters. Paint the front door an accent color like bright red, orange, blue or green. Add a much larger and taller planter/pot on the front porch below the mail box. fillit with annual flowers. It needs to be about 3 feet high with the flowers.
July 20, 2013 at 2:31pm        Thanked by melgrimes
melgrimes
Thank you all for your suggestions. Amy Wax, I really appreciated your help! We went with the AC - 32 for the siding and garage doors and the OC-121 for the trim. We removed the shutters on the main level window and have ordered new house numbers to go above the front door. I am looking for a taller planter to plant mums in for the fall and then, I think we'll be set! Let me know your thoughts! Attached are before and after pics.
August 30, 2013 at 8:00am     
caroturc
how is the paint holding up? was it worth painting vs changing the siding? thks!
June 9, 2014 at 9:19am   
Paint entire exterior or just aluminum siding?
1940s traditional two-story - we have gotten a quote...
What colour should we paint the aluminum siding?
Looking for colour ideas for the siding. Garage, front...
Hi there! Just wondering what color should we paint our decks and what
This is the house, we just painted the foundation now...
What color should we paint our front and side door.
Our home has a pale green exterior with white trim....
Help me finish off my dining room
Something just seems off here. Maybe the rug? Artwork...
Would you go for a striped wall?
Feature walls are big news, but what if you want to...
Best way to house a growing puppy?
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will...
Curb Appeal: Porch or Architectural Interest?
Looking to add some architectural interest to a 1970's...
What color should we paint our two front double doors?
The shutters and double doors are now black. We would...