Living Room ideas for first-time home owner w/ good space to work with
klash24
Just bought our first house and we are basically starting with a blank slate in terms of furniture and decor. ...Let the decorating fun begin! Of course, like most first-time owners, we are doing it on a budget so that is where we are relying on Houzz interior decor veterans to help us out! :)

In our opinion, we have a good space to work with: nice neutral wall colour and a stone fireplace that sold us on the house. The living room itself isn't that big as you'll see from the picture (11x15), but a decent size for a starter home.

SOFA HUNT: First and foremost we need to purchase a sofa and accent furniture. We are undecided on fabric vs. leather, and what colour for both options. We live in Canada, so furniture options from the USA are pretty much off the table, although we might be willing to drive to New York state (Syracuse) if there was really a worthwhile deal. Some online dealers also ship internationally, so that is something we would consider.

After spending some time browsing Houzz image ideas, we are thinking white/off-white fabric might be a good choice for the sofa colour, but we are not sure if it is really the practical choice for the medium-long term. Boyfriend is really leaning towards brown leather as current owners have. I am not convinced it is the best choice... Vote?!

We are open to all suggestions - sofa or otherwise - so bring it on!

(note furniture pictured is from current owners)
Margaret B
Is this a picture of the former owner's decor???
0 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 2:35PM
klash24
yes - former owner decor. Looking for ideas since we are starting with nothing!
0 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:37PM
bella_mar
is the fireplace in the middle of the 15' wall? and what style furniture your going for? modern contemporary traditional or mix?
0 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:46PM
bella_mar
also how many ppl do you want to accommodate ?
0 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:46PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi....Very exciting to start on your new home. Since you are in Canada, I would suggest you look at Ikea
slipcovered sofa's and chairs, create a "U" by that I mean sofa facing the fireplace (as shown), the chairs on either side of the sofa facing each other with coffee table in the middle. A cow hide rug would be fun and let the floors show off. If possible Artemide's Tolomeo floor lamp would be fabulous. Accessories can be old candlesticks, books, artifacts, just make it interesting and not too cluttered. With the slipcovered pieces you can add pillows and throws if you want more color.
0 Likes   July 20, 2013 at 3:56PM
Warner Decor
Hi! Looks like you have a great home! I like the arrangement that the current owners have. I Like the idea of a brown leather sofa because in the long run it will do better. You can add fun chairs in and I promise that will get your "fun furniture" fix in! Here are a few options:
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/7/garrison-sofa/

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/144312ac41b4e8a3

(both pretty good prices)

I think that these blue chairs would really compliment the coloring in your fireplace. I can tell you from experience that world market offers great quality products and they are super easy to assemble.
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/9/caribbean-blue-quincy-chair/
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 8:20AM
Congratulations on your first home, klash. I just peeked at your ideabooks and see that you have a pretty clear idea of what you like. And this room is perfect for light neutrals which will keep it open and airy, while size will keep it cozy around the fireplace.

I don't think the dark sofa fits very well in the room. I'd aim for a medium gray or beige in sofa and chairs, a light area rug, and pops of color in art and accessories.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 8:35AM
indianpatti
Great space! I would suggest charcoal gray couch ... copper/brass lamps ...

West Elm has stores in Canada and their prices are very reasonable. I have not had any quality issues with them.

Take a look at their website and start saving things you like ... peruse Houzz and get an idea of the look you want. Elegant/Modern? Midcentury Modern?
1 Like   February 14, 2014 at 8:47AM
HI -- All the best in your new home . Now get the image of the former owners décor out of your head . I love the fireplace and the room color . We have wonderful furniture in Canada so just shop here . We also have Kijiji , if that helps you - some bargains there . I think you could have white or light color sofa if it is leather . And then two colored lounge chairs . Stay with contemporary styles -- no big rolled arms . I think you should go with the colors that are in the stone on the fireplace with added accent colors and a bit of black here and there . Check -- Urbanbarn.ca and Westelm.ca and many more . Maybe a trip to Toronto or Vancouver or any city that is close to you. Any good quality furniture stores have an in house interior designer that help you plan your space. Start with your most needed furniture piece and go from there .
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 8:53AM
Your room in brown and orange, and again in brown and blue. Let art determine your color palette.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:04AM
And for comfort, where the previous owners have slipper chairs, I recommend arm chairs instead.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 10:05AM
abbyjean
Hopefully the poster is checking back as this is kind of an old one.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 11:22AM
bubbasgma
Houzz has changed the formatting of dilemma pages. Old "Related Discussions" (instead of "Featured Discussions") are now being listed in the right hand column. This is causing a lot of these old dilemmas to come out of dormancy and is very confusing. Another good reason to read all the comments and dates.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 11:33AM
bubbasgma
Always fun to see Groveraxle's handiwork tho!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 11:34AM
puppyfur
Klash24, please enlighten us...what did you do with this room?
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 11:39AM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
This is old post.....
1 Like   February 14, 2014 at 12:01PM
Note to self: remember to look at the date first...
1 Like   February 14, 2014 at 2:51PM
First Time Home Owner! Need Help with Living room and Kitchen
I know nothing about interior design, but I want my...
First-Time Homeowner seeking advice on how to decorate living room area.
First and foremost, all ideas are welcome here! I'm...
Advice needed for first-time homeowner's living room...
Hi all, I just bought my first house and am not used...
First-time apartment-owners (floors/painting/crown molding)
My husband and I just bought our first apartment and...
Foyer chest decor
Please help me think of items/colors to use on this...
Length of drapes
My husband and I are in month five of rehabbing our...
TILES CAN I "HONE" AN INDOOR TILE FOR OUTDOOR USE ONCE COATED ?
Hello people, Question time again. Im trying to match...
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
At a loss - What to do with the front of my house?
Houzzers, I'm on a new mission to upgrade the front...