Help with Paint Colors
njmomma
What Benjamin Moore, Behrs or Sherwin Williams paint colors would you use in a small dining room with this fabric as the drapes.
njmomma
The bottom half of the room has wainscoting and wood floors. Similar to the one pictured below.
    Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 7:15PM
chemayne
For a sunny look, I would go with SW daffodil on the walls and leave the wainscoting white. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6901-daffodil/
I like grasscloth wall treatments. I would also put something similar like this on the walls

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 20, 2013 at 7:34PM
njmomma
Do you think this color would work or do you think it would be too dark for a small room? Right now I have yellow in the room. I'm looking for a change.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/dragonsblood
    Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 7:43PM
greenvelvettree
What do think about a barn red? Not a lipstick red but a muted red. Reds are pretty with white and you have the wainscoting.
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 20, 2013 at 7:50PM
Here's how Sherwin Williams translated it into their palette. I kinda like that Lei Flower.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 20, 2013 at 7:57PM
Stamps Design Services
If you want to go bold, use a yellow or coral, if you want subued how about a soft grey? Take a fabric sample with you to the paint store then bring home color swatches and see how they look in the changing light... :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 20, 2013 at 8:15PM
njmomma
I love the red tones, but I feel it would be too dark for the room and my biggest fear is that it may look like a pink room.

Any other suggestions?????
    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:36AM
chemayne
I love the red tones suggested too but with such beautiful statement floors, red could overpower both curtains and floors.
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 5:02AM
njmomma
Now I have another dilemma, the husband put his two cents in. :-) "No red"
    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 5:31AM
njmomma
Just a thought, please weigh in. I have BM Springfield Tan in my kitchen and the dining room door way is off the kitchen. Do you think BM Yosemite Sand would work. The room is naturally dark, not much light comes into the room. Porch overhang contributes to not letting the sun come in. Small dark dining room.

Here are the two colors

BM Yosemite Sand AC-4 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/yosemitesand

BM Springfield Tan AC-5 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/springfieldtan#ce_s=SPRINGFIELD

They are on the same color strip.

I know everyone's computer screen shows a different color, but if you could please give me your thoughts I would appreciate it.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 5:35AM
jesker
The Yosemite Sand isn't bad, I agree, and staying in the tan family in the adjacent rooms should work well. But on that page that you gave link to, look at the section that says "similar colors" - I like the first one they show, "Blond Wood", a bit better with your fabric. Interestingly, it's description says it has a red undertone.
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 5:46AM
carolins
If red is out of the question, a buttery yellow would be nice, with white wainscoting. The yosemite sand looks too pink to me and the springfield tan too brown. But... in real life they could be gorgeous of course ;-)
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 5:52AM
carolins
What about the polite white that's in deco's colourscheme?
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 5:54AM
Arlene Warda, Architect
Two tans maybe nice, for the wainscoting. Put in a light tan on the panels, large squares and trim darker tan as accent in side the reveals. Could be great!...
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 5:56AM
chemayne
On my screen, yosemite tan is a brownish beige and springfield tan a peachish dark beige.
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 6:02AM
Christina Lynn
I think MB dragon's blood, like you suggested, would really warm up your small space, especially if you're looking for a change! I have the same type of north-facing dining area and I need rich colors to really bring in the warmth. If you stay on the "brown" and "orange" side of reds it shouldn't come off too pink.
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 6:07AM
trudela
Pretty toile; what furniture style do you have? Are your dining room chairs upholstered; what color? What color is the trim in the room? Take a look at some of the colors that are suggested to coordinate with Springfield Tan…. I like Malton and Cool Breeze. Think of the overall color palette in the room (s).
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 6:15AM
Tammy Tate Kammerer
The colors decoenthusiaste gave you.... You could choose one of the darker colors for the bottom and do the whiteer color given for the top. The colors in the wainscot example you gave would work. If you prefer say the yellow- could do the yellow in fabric on bottom and a lighter yellow, in that family above, and an even lighter family of that yellow on the ceiling. Would be very warming
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 6:17AM
Genevieve
You could even go with this

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 6:21AM
eurostilista
I think you could go with something contrasting on the walls like softened green (SW 6177) but that makes the room feel natural. The other suggestions have been great but maybe predictable and not what you're looking for. With the soft green on the walls you can bring some of the muted reds/yellows into accessories or even upholstery of your chairs.
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 21, 2013 at 6:59AM
Stamps Design Services
With white wainscotting at the bottom, it shouldn't be too dark.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 22, 2013 at 12:45AM
njmomma
Love some of these suggestions! Some of you are really thinking out of the box and am so grateful that you took the time to post.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 2:22PM
Here' a pretty toile draped dining room to inspire you...
    Bookmark   Thanked by njmomma    July 22, 2013 at 2:35PM
njmomma
@decoenthusiate thanks for posting that pic.

I am definitely leaning towards yellow rather then the red. Finding the right color yellow is key or rather a beige yellow. I just don't want the room to scream yellow.

I have to find the right subtle yellow to go with this fabric.

Help.;-)

Anyone. ;-)
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 5:28PM
Judy M
BM Oriental Silk. it is not on the color charts anymore, but a paint store can make it. See if they can make you a sample pint.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 5:35PM
greenvelvettree
If your husband doesn't like red walls, then a wheat yellow sounds nice with the white on the wainscoting and between the two areas will let the curtains stand out..
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 5:56PM
Christina Lynn
And I want to throw this out there, too: Martha Stewart's Hickory, via Sophia's Decor. I LOVE her home and her buttery, but not too yellow, walls! If Hickory is too dark there are two other colors in her line I suggest: Reed and Ginger Root. If all else fails, I figured you could pop in at a Home Depot somewhere and check out those three shades. Good luck!
    Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 6:28AM
    Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:48AM
Stamps Design Services
What direction do the windows face? A northern or eastern facing room will need more warmth and a southern or western facing room will need cooler tones.... Once you narrow down your paint choices, to 2-3, buy samples and paint a section that faces the windows...this should help you see how they look morning,afternoon and evening...it will help to keep from painting the room and need to redo it! :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 7:22PM
greenvelvettree
What about a pale blue? It's one color we haven't suggested yet. A sky blue would set off the red. Also, I have recently painted a western exposure room Opal Silk by Behr primer and paint (which is great but too dark fir your dining room) but picked up Offshore Mist and Clear Pond by Behr which might be nice for you (and blue for your husband!) it is a warmer blue. It has a bit of yellow in it and that will go with the yellow in your curtains.
    Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 6:14PM
greenvelvettree
In Christina Lynn's picture, the curtains are a pretty shade of that type of blue - tiffany, turquoise, etc. that seems so popular lately! A pale shade of that blue would look nice with yellow as it does in that photo.
    Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 6:19PM
Amy Wax
What you really need to do is photograph the drapes you have and pull the colors from it to get it just right. I created a app called Color911 for instant color help. One of the features is to take a photo and pull the colors from the photo. I attached a screen shot from the app showing when I took a photo of a pillow and pulled the colors from it. What I've done is used those colors for wall color, accent colors.. or just inspiration for anything else I am buying for the room. To match the colors to paint simply take your iPhone or iPad to the paint store and they can find a paint color to match. I have done it several times. This is an incredibly useful feature. I hope this helps you with the rest of your design.
    Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 6:31PM
howellmsue
I would use a very soft buttery yellow. Like Benjamin Moore's #206 Summer Harvest from the Classic Collection. It is one of my favorite yellows.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 6:54PM
Help with paint color for formal dining room
Please help! I made the mistake of painting my dining...
hollywould
Need help with paint colors
I repainted my family room in a pale yellow (previously...
hanny123
chadron90
Help select paint color and color scheme
I need help picking a color scheme. Specifically, I...
vanandric
Need help choosing paint color hall to go with FR color BM fireglow
Tile floor is light gray. Both rugs have the colors...
Maryann Phelps
Backsplash Help - Is this too different?
We are installing White Shaker perimeter cabinets,...
rrwahle
What can I put here?
Hi all Could you please help me with this empty wall? Thank...
alaahq
slumpstone
Can I dry stack slumpstone block for a garden retaining...
avb1234
Paint, lights, fireplace
I love earth tone color paint ideas. I need to build...
juliebonami
Pitiful playroom
We are working on a playroom for our 1 year old daughter...
erebele