New home
dhrrichardsonr
This is my soon to be home. Any ideas on what I can do with the yard or outside ?
Sharon
Congrats on your new home! We will need more photos & info to be able to make well thought out suggestions.
Can you take a photo of the front door? What area are you in? What do you want to use the garden for? What's your budget?
   July 21, 2013 at 6:21AM
dhrrichardsonr
Hi Sharon this is the front door my budget is about $1500 dollars , really dont know what to do about it
   July 26, 2013 at 12:20PM
cluedin
Go modern! Remove everything that's there - shrubs , grass etc. Love the horizontal fence! Very nice. Put in gravel and decorative grasses. Get a couple of nice modern chairs and pour yourself a martini. The gable end may need something - not sure yet.
   July 26, 2013 at 12:29PM
dhrrichardsonr
Wow thanks so much I really like your idea and I'm going for it the picture you give was awesome , so going to try to copy it just a little and fit it into my garden
   July 26, 2013 at 11:34PM
LB Interiors
Remove the gray brick. If it's your style, Maybe create a sitting patio area on both sides of the door and a wider path entry to the patio space, with some stepping stones. Use beige/terra cotta color, not much grass between them. Add a couple of adirondack chairs. Use an old milk can for an end table. A cable spool for a coffee table. Some potted tall narrow plants on both sides of the door. Use large rocks and tree stumps for a few rock garden areas. Decorate the garden with colored bottles or jars. Maybe a fountain with plants instead of running water. Make a three sided screen from white lattice panels to cover the trash can. Paint the door a brighter blue.
Exterior Overview Landcaping with succulents, rocks, gravel and logs
1 Like   July 26, 2013 at 11:51PM
LB Interiors
Maybe add some molding trim around the side A blue gable. Paint the molding white.
   July 26, 2013 at 11:58PM
LB Interiors
Finish the missing rail at the top of the fence..
1 Like   July 26, 2013 at 11:59PM
cluedin
Excellent. Love the metal roof by the way. So industrial looking. Just take on what you can manage. Make a little entrance patio. Google design within reason for inspiration.
2 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 4:50PM
cluedin
Sorry - design within reach.
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 4:53PM
cluedin
But then go somewhere cheaper like ikea and you will recognize good design when you see it.
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 4:57PM
Ah jeez clued in, he's got 1500 - tearing everything out is crazy. You already have so many elements that make this unique and cool - and plants that are mature that would cost 1,000 to replace! Here's my take if you want a more modern look right away.

$50 Paint the front door a bold yellow - test sw yarrow http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6669-yarrow/
it is bold enough to be very modern and pop, but the yellow will work well next to brick and gray

$0- 50? cost of equipment / trip to compost/ dump? Trim the hedge to the left of the door to at least no higher than the eaves.

$ 0 - 400 Hide the trash barrell, or build a modern screen fence for it with horizontal lines just like that gorgeous fence - stain gray to echo the roof and those terrific gray pavers. Consider staining your fence gray. price is to pay a painter to do it

$ 150 - 500 Add a large zinc planter to the left of the front door after trimming back the shrub hedge there, put phormium in the center and surround it with alien looking succulents. Restoration hardware sells them for $$$$ but you might go to the junkyard / buy a horse trough rusted thru or some industrial galvinized element that would bring in more character / give you a story.

$ 400 - 650 Buy two real adirondack chairs and footstools and paint them in the next shade deeper from yarrow - sw gold crest put them out and enjoy your new yard this year.

$ 350 diy to 900 - Talk to a painter and get a price for staining your brick gray or diy with concrete stain - no maintenance would be needed if you stain. You may be able to afford that this year, but since the place is new, use that money inside on new window coverings and storage and good design inside and live with the place a while.

Don't tear anything out. Trim things back if they bug you. Live with them all for a year and see what smells good and what you like.

Next winter, consult a landscape designer after you've developed some ideabooks about front landscapes you admire and have a better idea about what you want style wise. Clued in's picture has clerestory windows and other elements that make it a contemporary house. Your house is a simple box, so you can take it modern but you need to leave some of the charming, personal, junkyard elements to make it interesting.
4 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 6:39PM
I for one would NOT take out all those wonderful plants, and if you do, I hope you let someone dig them out for you to save you the labor and the plants get recycled. I am a sucker for free plants on craigslist;)
2 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 6:47PM
dhrrichardsonr
Thanks for all the great ideas guys thank you so Much for your input i promise onwil upload the before and after pictures
1 Like   August 4, 2013 at 10:05AM
sharpkl
A finish board on bottom of gable wood and maybe trim near roof would enhance the end of house. Maybe lighter gray.

Please get someone to help you clean up bushes. They are charming and add a lot to your house and would be very expensive to replace.
Front door could be painted brighter gray/blue. Blueberry? Remove garbage can, clean patio stones. Add small rustic path to door. Flowers near door.
   August 4, 2013 at 10:29AM
Relaxhouse
interesting stuff
   October 7, 2013 at 6:04PM
Need help with new home plans. What is new in home design.
Hello. We are going to build a home and we have been...
New Homes Specialist: New Homes in Tampa Florida:Real Estate:Buyers Ag
I specialize in representing my clients in the purchases...
New Homes Specialist: New Homes in Tampa Florida:Real Estate:
New home - new ideas? Replacing couch and rug
So this couch and rug is going to be moved to another...
New Home New Living Room
The current furniture in the space is not mind. I would...
Black or white vanity?
Going for contemporary look. No window. Dark bathroom....
Need help with this room!
So long story short, my fiancé and I bought our 1883...
My new apartment
Just got into a new apartment, it's for me and my husband....
white cabinets & trim
I want the cabinets & trim to compliment each other....
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...