What would you call this style?
seraph
I came home from vacation to find my roommate had decorated the living room. We had talked about doing "gypsy chic" but this doesn't strike me as gypsy chic. What do you think? Name this style!
dtb1012
Traditional vintage
July 21, 2013 at 8:09am     
suzannah48
Chic - it isn't. Maybe you can start over, together ! The most obvious starting point would be to lower any art work that is hung above the sofa. Kinda cluttered looking now, I think. Roomy shouldn't quit their day job !
July 21, 2013 at 8:10am     
nasmijati
Let me see what I can find...
July 21, 2013 at 8:59am   
nasmijati
Go to Houzz PHOTOS. Enter "gypsy" in the search box. Be sure to use quotation marks. There are 232 photos in this category.

Go to Houzz Products. Enter "gypsy" in the search box, using quotation marks. There are 105 products in this category.

Go to Houzz Ideabooks, enter "gypsy" in the search box, and look at 19 Ideabooks in this category.

You might also be interested in looking in all three places using the search term "Bohemian." There are 1,002 photos, 792 products, and 130 Ideabooks.

I suggest that you and your roommate look in these three (or six) areas of Houzz and put your favorite photos in your own Ideabook. Make a note of what you do and do not like about each one in your comments box. Even if you are not sure about a photo, add it right then. It is impossible to find a specific photo on Houzz unless you have the photo number. It is easy to delete a photo from an Ideabook.

When you click on a photo in Houzz, options for more information appear on the bottom of the screen.

It might be best to make the Ideabook WITH your roommate, instead of independently and then comparing photos/notes. You already know the "individual" method of decorating was not completely successful.
July 21, 2013 at 9:16am   
seraph
thanks everyone. I guess traditional vintage pretty much describes it. Its not really my taste at all but I don't want to start a fight over it. (she's gotten touchy over some changes I wanted and said I can decorate the dining room) But she also called it Gypsy Chic and I wanted some confirmation that this is NOT that :/
July 21, 2013 at 7:00pm   
seraph
eztia - I will def use the idea books for the dining room!
July 21, 2013 at 7:03pm   
Wait til your roomy goes on vacation and return the favor;)
July 21, 2013 at 7:04pm     
I'd call it "I'm afraid of gypsy chic, so I'm going to beat my roomy to the punch!" Do the gypsy chic in your room and she'll be sorry!
July 21, 2013 at 7:49pm   
smdrovetto
One thing I harp and harp on is "scale". Most of the discussions have involved owners of a new home with high ceilings, which dramatically affects the size of furniture, and art, and how it is arranged and hung.

However, the first thing that I noticed in your room is the groupings are composed of too many items, the groupings are too small for the spaces, and they are hung too high

One rule, usually, is to hang art closer to eye level. That can seem SO low, but it usually isn't. Most people hang art too high. Even if just the mirror or the framed piece was used, they are both way too small for those spaces.

Obviously, your roommate must have spent a lot of thought and time creating the designs, arranging, and hanging, etc. And I can see she has potential, by looking at them.

Decorating is not an easy thing. You have to think about space, lighting, style, scale, color, etc. It takes practice.

You didn't say if the pieces are hers, or yours, or both, but there seems to be many small items.

Usually the best thing to do with many smaller items is group them together, which is what she tried to do, but a cabinet with glass doors, a china cabinet, would work. If either of you has a nice set of dishes, adding some of these items in would be very pretty, and would be an eclectic look that may be acceptable for the "gypsy" style you agreed on.

I think I know what you mean about the style. With two roommates, you both have acquired possessions that won't work with a more serious style decor, that has a lot of matching stuff.

I think "gypsy" style can be really attractive, and not as stuffy as perfectly matching rooms sometmes are. You just have to find a few things with coordinating colors, shapes, style that tie it all together.

You could call this "Gypsy", if the gypsy were my grandmother and this was her house in 1953. It is most definitely not chic. Sorry.

But it sounds like your agreement was more that you both had input, and would decide together. She took it upon herself to fill very prominent spaces that you both occupy. It was really an ambush, or she wouldn't have done it when you were out of town. She purposely did not give you a chance to give input before it was done, which is not in the spirit of cooperation or fairness.

It's sometimes hard for people to be critiqued on something like taste, which is very personal. If you concentrate on sitting down, and making a plan together, (written!) it can be easier on the ego. Or you may need a mediator, (or a new roommate) :)
July 21, 2013 at 7:53pm     
Anne
Cute kitty!
July 21, 2013 at 7:54pm     
Anne- good eye for detail, the cat pretty much blends in with everything ;)
July 21, 2013 at 7:55pm     
Ed
Hmm.
July 21, 2013 at 8:28pm     
seraph
the things are about 90% hers. The picture, most of the furniture (and the cat :) are mine. And the comment about too many small things makes sense. I felt completely overwhelmed upon first coming home! To be fair, I was camping in the desert and completely unreachable, but yeah I had assumed we would decorate together. I think she just assumed I would like it.
July 21, 2013 at 8:39pm     
seraph
btw new things are being added almost daily. Its kind of entertaining to see what the new addition will be every evening lol.
July 21, 2013 at 8:43pm     
smdrovetto
All I can say is.......WOW! Please update with photos. :) Yes, I am looking around my living room, and among other things in my bookcase is, my "Simpsons" family Pez collection, and a lifesize sculpture of a head that I made in high school. One of the ears fell off a long time ago, and it looked pretty real, so I thought I'd be like Van Gogh, and mailed it to my sister in another state. I'm really qualified to dish out advice! :)
July 21, 2013 at 10:43pm   
seraph
smdrovetto - awesome :) Ok here are some of the new additions: (there is also a candle in a teacup i can't get a pic of now. Did I mention she works in a thrift store?
July 22, 2013 at 4:35pm   
smdrovetto
OMG! I didn't want to say, but when I looked closely, there were so many different things, I was a little worried...................seraph, please keep a cell on your body at all times, in case you become trapped by teacups, cowboys, feathers, clowns.........................candle in a teacup...........................hmmm. Is there any hope of an impending earthquake in your area? Could you possibly make friends with a burglar?
July 22, 2013 at 5:23pm     
nasmijati
@seraph. If this was my living room, I would just laugh and see what Roommate puts up next in that room.

Meanwhile, get your Ideabook started for the dining room! Perhaps print pages and tape them to the wall(s) with blue painter's tape (doesn't mark the wall).

Please do keep posting photos! :)
July 22, 2013 at 6:16pm   
Well, I think you just answered your own post question on what style. * Thrift Deco* ;)
July 22, 2013 at 7:36pm     
Style concept dilemma
Here's another good example of our interior design...
I need a light green pendant to match my glass tile back splash.
It will be in my kitchen. I don't want it to be too...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Great imagination needed for my family room
We just moved to a new house, my giant brown sectional...