Ugly fireplace
jkoien
I need ideas to fix (inexpensively) my funky brick fireplace. Any suggestions appreciated. It seems too big for the wall, and the brick has a weird (striped) texture.
ford222
I have a very large brick wall with a fireplace in my home. I took a small yellow foam roller and rolled over the whole thing with a white color. It is a hit and miss look--most of the mortar is unpainted and there is red from the brick coming through. It was so easy and you can just put as much white on as you want. If you don't like it you can paint it solid white which I think looks beautiful also.
0 Likes   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:12AM
That fireplace looks to be in good proportions with the wall. One option is to paint the bricks white for a fresher feel.
0 Likes   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:15AM
Ferrugio Design + Associates
What kind of budget are you willing to put towards the fireplace? Paint is the least expensive option, but, there are other inexpensive options as well... Plaster over the brick, veneer over the brick, metal sheet over it.... Change the mantle, depends on what "inexpensive" means to you.
0 Likes   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:20AM
Interior Changes home design
For the least expensive option: You could paint the whole wall in a contrasting color, and go right over the brick like ford222 suggested above. If you add a new color to the full wall it will make the brick become a texture and then the wall will be a focal point. I would definitely add art to this...but not one central piece, think of a grouping of six.

You could also add wood molding right over the top of the brick and completely change the look of the fireplace without very much expense. Run a long mantle board from wall to wall and panel the areas to the left and the right ( right up to within 6" on your firebox). This would change the wall proportions and change the look of the room.
1 Like   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:21AM
I would paint the hole room a pewter gray, then paint the fireplace and the whole wall behind it a (2) darker shade of gray. Paint all trim incl doors a white. Add a large sunburst mirror over firepl. 42" center above FP. Will change yr whole rm. also remove any small art from walls use only large pieces 36" or 40" in bold colors.
0 Likes   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:21AM
Put a black flat firepl screen on FP. Add tall wood candlesticks on mantel, on one end. Get area rug 6x9 centered in front of FP move sofa so directly looking at FP. Take another pic of room from FP.
0 Likes   July 21, 2013 at 10:24AM
Dar Eckert
Looks like you could use a mantle. Your house looks pretty traditional so you can find a lot of options for mantles and fireplace surrounds on-line. Ford's suggestion to add some paint to it would probably be a nice fix while still maintaining the brick. It seems odd that the interior of the fireplace is white instead of brick or blackened from use. Is this a working fireplace? If so you should get a screen. Which can be as wow or minimal as your desire.
The Living Room
Bold dramatic statements
modern metal fire place cover
0 Likes   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:36AM
quiltygirl59
Brick can be painted rather inexpensively
0 Likes   Thanked by jkoien    July 21, 2013 at 10:44AM
jkoien
Thanks everyone for the tips. I am trying to go for a slightly modern beach cottage look. We bought our house 9 months ago and are finally getting to fixing it up. I was thinking about the paint option- just wondered if there were any other ideas. Here are some pics facing the rest of the room (living room/ dining room). Thanks!!
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 11:13AM
Shane Silverman, CKD
I think painting the brick is the best idea. You can rest some pictures on top and it will become more a "built-in furniture" piece than just a fireplace. If you don't use the fireplace, you can also replace the logs with something else as well.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 11:19AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
That fireplace is adorable, although the white-painted interior is throwing me a bit.

I think either painting the brick your trim color or a good whitewash will help it.

Your place doesn't have much cottage-y detail, but if you are headed that way, I'd suggest some simple tongue-and-groove paneling on the upper wall painted your trim color and the adjacent wall painted a sandy beige.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 11:42AM
What can I do with this ugly free standing fireplace and ugly brick?
I have thought about putting bead board over the brick,...
Donna Colvin-Smith
Ugly fireplace
Actually I need information about how to fix it, not...
pegblac12
Ugly fireplace demo'd. Now what?
Hey folks, I've gotten some great suggestions for...
V Rider
Just downsized - need to coordinate very small living area - ugly Fireplace
We have just moved into a much smaller home that has...
zeus1967
ALMOST too embarrassed to show this ugly fireplace dilemma
Not only is it ugly and placed awkwardly... it's not...
Bonnie Norwood
Take 2... Another attempt to complete my living room & Bedroom
12 Months in and I still haven't embraced my red sofa....
indycoolchick
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
"Need reputable pergola builder in Frisco, TX"
Looking for a recommended contractor to build a cedar...
treneau
Need to change out 80's light fixture over island , need ideas!
we bought a home that has light fixtures and decor...
Debbie Comerford-Lalonde
Exterior paint color schemes
I'm looking for ideas of exterior paint colors that...
meg524