Need ideas to redo my daughter room and make it less cluttered
lilifer123
She just wants different ideas with the room and what to remove or what to keep or what to move around. Thank you all
Warner Decor
One suggestion I may have is to put a curtain rod/curtain to cover up the closet/other dresser area- this will instantly make the room feel de-cluttered. also, instead of having the bulletin board leaned up against the desk, maybe try painting the trim around it and hanging it or taking it to a local carpenter and having them place a bigger frame around it and then painting it. I don't know if your daughter is wanting to change the color of the dressers, but you could always paint them and/or replace the hardware with new, cleaner looking pulls. :) Also for the window shown I would only do one curtain versus a sheer curtain and a heavier curtain.
July 21, 2013 at 2:21pm     
Stanton Designs-online design services
Have your daughter look at some pictures of bedrooms to help get an idea of what she likes and doesn't like. Maybe having one larger piece of furniture instead a few smaller ones, will make the room feel a little more open and a little less cluttered.
July 21, 2013 at 3:08pm     
mrscollie
Changing the color of the paint would be a great way to change the look. Maybe some fun patterned curtains from target. I would change the bedding if you aren' t tied to it... but I agree with the stanton designs- she really needs to look at pics and see what she likes. How old is she? http://www.decorpad.com/girls-rooms/6
July 21, 2013 at 3:25pm     
lilifer123
My daughter is 16 and all these ideas are great! Thank you! I will have her look at different ideas. Also, we are going to put closet doors on the closet and put down beige carpeting.
August 22, 2013 at 1:54pm   
alwaysdesigning
Ikea has some budget friendly storage options that are clean and fresh looking. The curtain panels come in great modern looks. It would be a great place to start. Ikea Pax wardrobes on each side of the window create a built-in look and place for seating, daybed, or bed between, as an idea to start. Request their catalog. Good luck

[houzz=Kids Bedroom Modern style]
[houzz=Girl's Room]
[houzz=girls bedroom design ideas]
[houzz=Closet Ideas]
[houzz=Pink bedroom with polka dots]
[houzz=Beach House Living Room]
[houzz=Glenwood Residence]
[houzz=Woodmeister Master Builders - WestWind] murphy bed
[houzz=Bright Green Office]
August 22, 2013 at 2:33pm     
bjens
Seems like my kids just LOVE to be able to see their STUFF! Looks like clutter to me, but it all has meaning to them. Rather than fight it, I just make sure we have places to put the basics away (clothes, the majority of keepsakes and toys) but find ways to display the things that they love the most. Shelves like the Expedit bookcase above that alwaysdecorating sent, are great for minimizing visual clutter. So are the Malm dressers from Ikea if you like a modern look.
Grouping artwork and photos of friends in similar frames and rotating new ones in gives a cohesive look rather than many different frames sitting on top of desks and dressers. If she wants to look at all her jewelry, find a great fabric covered bulletin board and show it off. You get the idea. Sometimes I get my best ideas from store displays instead of decorating sources because stores have to group many like items in a small space.
Give your eye some blank space between these collections but don't be afraid to encourage them to let their personalities come out in the room. And when you do a huge closet or toy purge, let them rotate their displays to show what they love today. Good luck.
August 22, 2013 at 3:26pm   
I don't have anything to add to the great ideas above, but I'd like to compliment your daughter for being so neat. She'a done a great job so far of limiting clutter and some good storage furniture ought to help a lot. Ikea has great, affordable systems that she could design herself and perhaps turn that whole desk wall into a self-contained unit.
August 22, 2013 at 3:27pm     
Also consider moving the dresser out of the closet and doing something like this:
August 22, 2013 at 3:34pm     
A Crew of Two
I think if you turned the bed so it is under the window it would free up some valuable wall space, but it is hard to get a feel for the whole space. Is there room to put the desk at the foot of the bed?
August 22, 2013 at 3:45pm   
August 22, 2013 at 3:46pm     
Mary Rast Interiors
There is just too much furniture in the room and it feels crowded. Remove the small shelves and one of the dressers. Maybe take out the desk and get a new one in a modern style IF she uses a desk. Otherwise find a fun comfy chair with a stool that is crazy fun. Hang a pendant plug in light above for reading. Paint the bed and dresser with Annie's Chalk Paint. Add simple side table with storage. Fins curtains and bed clothing, but not matchy-matchy. And before you settle on beige carpet, consider a younger color that is somewhat versatile. Then pick a wall paint color Last! Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions! Mary
August 22, 2013 at 9:14pm     
hollywaterfall
Wow-that looks like a small room. Also we are missing a picture. We have 3 walls. Could you take one from the window towards the door that kind of fits the whole room in? What also hits me is that everything matches well right now. The wall color is perfect to go with the chair and bedding. Does she want to change EVERYTHING or just tidy it up and update it? How much money do you have to work with or would you just like to repurpose things? I would start by just turning the position of the furniture. Move the desk or dresser to where the chair is if it fits. Then turn the nightstand to be against the window wall. Take the pictures off the walls except for one -there are too many. Hang the bulletin board above the desk or dresser. If you want a different color then pull the blue from the bedspread and use that for the walls. Update the hardware on the desk and dresser. You could also angle the bed or turn it against the wall in a daybed idea. Good luck.
August 23, 2013 at 9:03am     
lilifer123
My daughter is just looking to make it less crowded not redo the whole room. All of these ideas are great and I will put pictures up when we finish with room.
August 25, 2013 at 8:31am   
chrisinky
Doors on the closet will definitely help.

Does she need all the dressers/drawer space? Taking out at least one out will help. Maybe you could add sliding drawers under the bed or at least plastic storage boxes if they can't be seen. I see there's a mirror in the closet above that dresser. If you put a mirror over her desk she could hang more things in her closet. You could move the bulletin board to another area, but I like the idea of making it neater with fabric or painted frames. Since she's 16 that's a fun project she could do herself or with your help. There's some examples below. You could also combine the mirror with the cork board. Either get a really large one like the last photo & put a mirror in the middle or hang the mirror then put cork squares around it. The desk then doubles as a vanity table.

If you reverse the walls that the bed & desk are on, you will see open floor as you walk into the room. That will make it feel bigger as well. I once read that the bed should be on a wall opposite the door because it is the focal point of the bedroom. That makes sense in most spaces.

If she decides to change things up, I really like the photos posted by decoenthusiaste & always designing. Bigger bolder prints could make the space feel more open.
Good luck & have fun!

Bulletin Board
Den / Home office.
Kid Space
Four Winds
House 2
February 20, 2014 at 10:02am   
February 20, 2014 at 10:29am   
chrisinky
Sorry if you've already done the room, I just noticed the date.
February 20, 2014 at 10:30am   
lilifer123
We have not completely finished yet. But we are in the process of putting closet doors on and the carpet is going to be replaced soon. Thank you all for your comments! They help a lot.
February 25, 2014 at 1:00pm     
lilifer123
Another picture looking at the door
February 25, 2014 at 1:04pm   
twosavoie
Maybe use the desk or bookshelf as a bedside table. You could move the bed over and put the existing table on the other side. Could the bookshelf go above the dresser?
February 25, 2014 at 1:11pm     
edithsmom
I like twosavoie's suggestions of using either the bookcase or the desk next to the bed as a nightstand, eliminating a piece of furniture.
February 25, 2014 at 5:08pm   
chrisinky
It already looks better since you flipped the bed around to the wall opposite the door.
February 26, 2014 at 6:46am     
A Rococo to go ~ Hold the Drama...
Bellesum suggested I start a new thread as a result...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Living room/ family room
I'm having a problem trying to decide how to best design...
Need help to find interior decoration items online
Hi I am looking for accent pieces, floral arrangements...
Stairway Trim
Looking for advice as to whether or not I should paint...