Can't decide if I should open the kitchen to the family/dining room.
Vickie M
We're buying a 60's ranch and need to remodel the kitchen before we move in. Currently there are load bearing walls. Trying to decide if it is worth the expense taking down them completely. I don't know if I would like having the workspace of the kitchen open to the family room. Also I don't know if I want our t.v. to have a prominent space in the middle of the house. In our past house we had a large kitchen where most of our time was spent, including with guests and our only t.v. was upstairs in a large bonus.
What's your set-up and how do you like it?
Ed
Hi Vickie, Congrats on your new home purchase! If the walls are not structurally supporting the top, and if you don't need the top cabinets storage space, definitely take down the walls completely. The open, expansive feeling and the flow will be very nice.
July 21, 2013 at 1:59pm      Thanked by Vickie M
Adrianne
For my house.. I kept the wall so I have somewhere to put upper wall cabinets..
I did however widen the door area (previous owner had a door and door frame)
July 21, 2013 at 2:00pm      Thanked by Vickie M
Ed
Hi Vickie, for my space, I removed a much smaller wall than yours, and the difference is tremendous. :)
July 21, 2013 at 2:10pm        Thanked by Vickie M
Vickie M
If you look at the last photo you can see the where the loadbearing walls meet. I've added photos of the current dining room 15'4" x 14'7". What must have been the family room is where the shelves are that measures 12'6" x 19'6. What I'm thinking about doing is going 2' into the dining room with cabinets, making it 13' by 12'6 but opening the 12'6" wall up.
July 21, 2013 at 2:15pm   
Vickie M
Ed, looks great! Anymore photos to share? We need to put hardwoods down before we move in so that's why we're going ahead with the kitchen remodel.
July 21, 2013 at 2:20pm     
Ed
Hi Vickie, Thank you! Yea, I've already taken over 4 thousand 600 photos of our remodel! And we're still at about 90% done... :)
I replaced every single inch of carpet with solid hardwood maple (every flooring except the bathrooms), and porcelain tiles (for the bathrooms). Are you also removing all your carpet? :)
July 21, 2013 at 2:42pm     
Ed
Hi Vickie, another angle of +wall and -wall :)
July 21, 2013 at 2:56pm     
Ed
Hi Vickie, how's the remodel going ? Did you decide on opening up the kitchen ?
September 2, 2013 at 12:48pm   
Vickie M
Hi Ed! No I still haven't decided! Finally after closing a month ago we just now have been able to start working on it. The delay is that the house has a generator but it wasn't wired correctly and the electricians we hired took a month to finish the job!!! Anyway this past weekend my husband and father were there starting the demo and took the plaster off the walls we are planning on opening up. The kitchen was already semi open and the more I think about it, I think I'll keep it that way like originally planned but just take space out of the 15'6 x 14'6 formal dining room to be able to put an island in the kitchen.

How's your remodel coming along?
September 3, 2013 at 6:02am   
pmacd
Your kitchen looks big and spacious already. Opening everything up isn't always best. Living in it for a while is always good first to get a feel for the home.
September 3, 2013 at 6:35am   
Ed
Hi Vickie, Congrats that demo started! My interior is about 99% done, the condition is almost ready to move in, but the exterior is still at 95%, so we still cannot move back. :) Two photos from today (Sep 3, 2013) of the long entry hallway -- exterior view and interior view. :)
September 4, 2013 at 2:43am   
I can't decide how to arrange my family room.
We just moved into a home and have been doing all sorts...
Can't decide on curtains for my family room!
Hello, I'm having trouble deciding what curtains to...
LED bulbs in Halo 6" can?
I have purchased some 6" Halo Remodel IC Recessed Light...
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...
What to do With the Wood Panel Doors and Trim?
My husband and I bought our first house last year,...
Bay window looking out onto sun room
Isn't it weird to have a bay window that looks out...