Please help me choose!
Cherry
I'm having such a hard time deciding which option to take. We have renovated out kitchen, and as you can see it is for a country house (Australia), however I don't want to limit myself to the "country" style. The rest of my house is French Provincial. The floors of the kitchen are porcelain tiles, they look like wood. My dilemma is the backsplash behind the cook top. Either I go stainless steel, or the printed glass with the birch trees (I have a sample, photo below). I'm scared that the Birch trees may add an element of pattern too many. Perhaps it's an overload of different patterns - floor, tiles them backsplash. The stainless steel may be just muted enough to have the floor and tiles speak up. Not sure!! Please help, I need to make a decision fast x.
Sasha Retana
Is it just that little strip? If so, I would not add new texture there and do stainless steel bc I don't think it's enough of a statement. If its the whole wall behind the stove, then I'd consider a decorative medallion/mural, and u can incorporate the birches.
July 21, 2013 at 4:53PM   
Sasha Retana
One of these but w your birches
July 21, 2013 at 4:58PM     
Cherry
Oh, the strip is just the sample piece. It's actually for the wall behind the cook top, and rangehood. So it will go all the way up to the ceiling. But it's just 900cm by 1500cm. The rest of the kitchen walls are subway tile. I have provided a photo of the tile already installed. Thanks for commenting by the way!
July 21, 2013 at 4:59PM   
Sasha Retana
Then I'd definitely include the birches and make look like a painting or picture window behind stove.
July 21, 2013 at 5:00PM   
odettel
My preference is for the stainless steel, as I think it would integrate the hues and feel of the kitchen. Not keen on the birch trees in that environment. Plain pale coloured glass might be another option. It's a lovely space already.
July 21, 2013 at 5:04PM   
funbuzz
I think the birches are beautiful in that space. I would avoid the stainless steel as it will be much more of a challenge to keep it looking clean. The birch is really beautiful.
July 21, 2013 at 5:07PM     
AJD Interiors
Hi! Very nice looking kitchen so far! I really like the classic and clean elements you have going; the wood-look flooring, white subway tile, solid counters ( look like Ceasarstone??) and classic white cabinets. In my opinion, the birch tree tiles are a bit trendy for this space, and the vertical lines of the trees compete with the subway tiles. Stainless steel is very durable, and while it would look " right" in that space, it doesn't add much "oomph", and you would be endlessly wiping it down. To keep your classic look, try the subway tile laid out differently in that space- see photo for an idea...good luck- its going to look fantastic!

July 21, 2013 at 5:24PM     
Cherry
Hmmm, well I absolutely fell in love with the birch trees when I saw them. But then got really worried when I combined the floor tiles, subway wall tiles and the idea of the birch trees together. I felt a little overwhelmed by pattern, so I got cold feet. :((
July 21, 2013 at 5:24PM   
studio | FORMA
The "Birch Trees" design sounds very interesting, specially if you install it behind the range hood vent and all the way up to meet the ceiling. Any way we can see a bigger sample? Is it a printed detail on glass? or and embossed glass detail??
You already have a "Wood Look" on the floor, visually communicating wood by way of branches would only reinforce the design. I would however consider an oiled bronze, or dark iron color/look (match hardware hinges/drawer pulls) as "Trim" between the subway tile and the "Branches" tiles.
Also if the Birch design is printed on glass you will want to carefully consider what type of backing/adhesive you install it with as it will show through the glass.
July 21, 2013 at 5:25PM     
Cherry
AJD interiors why didn't I think of this as an option???? Thank you for the idea!
July 21, 2013 at 5:26PM     
leelee
Go plain tile behind the cooktop. The "pictures" always become dated. Add a little hook so you'll be able to hang a plate, platter or some tiled tray that you can change out if you alter colors or tastes change.
July 21, 2013 at 5:29PM   
bygeorgi
This is gonna sound strange but I added an element of wood in a back splash of white tile using place matts. They were small wood circles connected together ...I cut into strips , rows of 4 placed tape on the front, glued and grouted as normal. Turned out great.
July 21, 2013 at 5:47PM   
bygeorgi
sorry not a great photo
July 21, 2013 at 5:57PM     
Cherry
Wow! So creative! I don't know that I have the patience for a detailed project like that.

Well I have to make my decision today, the range hood will be installed soon. I must deliberate. I wish that it was a unanimous yes to one of the options. Thank you everyone for your input though. It has helped me!
July 21, 2013 at 5:59PM   
whetswami
Stainless is awful to keep clean. Don't do it.
July 21, 2013 at 6:03PM   
studio | FORMA
Once you have made your decision please do post pictures of your project. I am sure it will be great.
July 21, 2013 at 6:09PM     
Living room design
I need to know what to do behind the sofa? Is the mirror...
Marble Corroded. Help!!
Not exactly a design issue but wondering if anyone...
fix a patio umbrella
how do I fix the rope inside a patio umbrella that...
Keep, replace or turn into lamps?
Any thoughts about the two blue vases? I got them because...
Large space above couch! Any ideas.
We are on a budget and open to any ideas! I was...