Living room ideas
abcxyzchi
Need to start furnishing my living room from scratch...looking for contemporary /modern look. Thanks in advance
Warner Decor
If you are going for a contemporary/modern look, why not go browse around somewhere like ross or marshalls to see what jumps out at you.There is a lot of silver/chrome out there that may come in handy when decorating to make your look sleek. Also, I would check out Tuesday Morning if you have one near you. They have random pieces of furniture all the time! Maybie adding a mirror somewhere in the living room as well would help.
July 22, 2013 at 7:13AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
Get a couple of barstools to get you started. They would make a nice statement. (of course the tall one) ;)

July 22, 2013 at 7:22AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
searcy
Start looking at RoomandBoard.com for inspiration. Even if you don't buy anything from them, they are perfect for getting room ideas (and of course Houzz.com). You could shop the credenzas first because you could use one under the TV for media storage. The Grove collection in Walnut is the line I bought. Either put the TV right on top of the credenza or mount it on wall. Next straight back sofas/chairs will keep it contemporary. Furniture first, paint last bc paint can be changed easily. Look at their barstools. Keep it sleek.
My own home is mid-century modern so I did the whole house with the above things in mind. Change out your lights to be smaller halogens (they put out a very white light and it looks much better). You could do a rich gray all over. Keep kitchen and living room all one color. See http://www.etsy.com/listing/125245489/birch-trees-decalswall-decals-nature?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_page=4&ga_search_query=birch+tree+decal&ga_view_type=gallery

The Gray color would make your white cabinets stand out and it would look great against your floors as well.
July 22, 2013 at 7:33AM        Thanked by abcxyzchi
Kandrac & Kole Interior Designs, Inc.
I would start by adding some super modern barstools at the breakfast bar. These Pastel Furniture Cagliari stools from AllModern would be a great starting point! http://www.allmodern.com/Pastel-Furniture-Cagliari-30-Barstool-in-Chrome-QP2472.html.

From there I would look into a rug to define the living room as separate from the hallway and kitchen. That view is beautiful so I would leave as much of it open as possible! West Elm has some great options for ready made contemporary rooms! Good Luck!
July 22, 2013 at 7:45AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
indianpatti
Find a color/pattern palette you like .... save things to your idea book. Good inspiration: Houzz photos; West Elm; Crate and Barrel; CB2 ...
July 22, 2013 at 7:46AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
Ed
Hi abc, Congrats on your new splace. Nice view! Lots of potential. Look forward to your progress photos.
July 22, 2013 at 7:47AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
sashik
Is it a vacation home? Maybe you could pick up the turquoise from the seaview and mix it with white and wood like your kitchen.
Here is an example
July 22, 2013 at 7:53AM   
sashik
Here is one more
July 22, 2013 at 7:54AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
sashik
And another with more white but turquoise/aqua details
July 22, 2013 at 7:57AM   
Step out onto the balcony and take a wide angle pic of the view and have it blown up and framed to hang on your longest wall, thereby increasing the shore feeling. Pull the blue and sand colors from it for pillows, accessories. Keep the rest white and the metal of the window frames.
July 22, 2013 at 10:58AM        Thanked by abcxyzchi
PurePhoto.com
I have a lot of great modern fine art photography pieces that start at $100. If you are interested in art check out my site www.PurePhoto.com.
July 22, 2013 at 11:53AM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
abcxyzchi
Thanks for all the great ideas...my wife loved the dining table below (i think it will fit in our space) but we are not sure if this will go well with the room...please suggest. thx
July 22, 2013 at 3:14PM   
searcy
I am madly in love with it. I think it will go GREAT. Straight lines...it's really cool.
July 22, 2013 at 3:56PM      Thanked by abcxyzchi
collettec
I think it looks a bit heavy for the space.
July 22, 2013 at 4:43PM        Thanked by abcxyzchi
Ed
Hi abc, agree with collettec; it doesn't quite fit the space.
July 22, 2013 at 4:51PM        Thanked by abcxyzchi
selma69
can you tell me size of kitchen (m,cm?)
July 22, 2013 at 8:30PM   
abcxyzchi
@selma69: 9' x 8'3"
July 22, 2013 at 8:40PM   
sashik
I really like that table but I think it needs a bigger space to really shine. If you add a couch to the space it could look cramped. How about putting some masking tape on your floor where the table is supposed to go, then add tape to where the chairs for it will go (keep in mind you will need walking space too) and see what area is left?

Do you have an idea of what sofa and other sitting you will get?
July 23, 2013 at 3:13AM   
Fine Art Photography by David Lalush
A large acrylic mounted photo would look great in that space: http://www.lalush.com/cprints/
August 6, 2013 at 11:19AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Quick note, To keep things feeling spacious and to make the most of the view I'd use a round table. Rough hewn plank tables have a cool look but in the end might look like a dark box there. Seating at the window end of the room could include an armless loveseat flanked by two adjustable height tables. Whatever larger piece you select (sofa, loveseat, armless LS) would be placed with it's back to the wall. Opposite, a pair of comfortable chairs centered by a small drinks table. Lucite coffee table or, a simple upholstered low cube. A floor lamp overlooking the coffee table will light the center of the room for you. Paint the Kitchen area walls, column and Bar as one. Use a key color that relates to the skyline view. Blues, Grays, will work really well with the cabinets. Paint the remaining walls in a lighter shade of the same color if you want to keep things open.
August 6, 2013 at 11:36AM   
Need help with our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
Need help for our kitchen
Need help with paint color
Hi everyone! We just moved and we are trying to put...
Need help on a 11' wall with an offset fireplace
I have an 11' wall that has an off center fireplace...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...