Backpainted glass backsplash
pirateroo
I've been planning all along on using a backpainted glass backsplash in my kitchen remodel, I love the look, the ease of cleaning-No Grout Lines! I am planning on doing it myself, I have the urethane based paint in a metallic green, (think automotive type metallic, not glitter fingernail polish) but I am getting cold feet. The granite goes in this week and then it will be time to template and paint the backsplash- I worry that it will be too dark, I have a test piece of glass, but it's hard to tell from a 12" square what it will really look like. Any suggestions?
TanCalGal
Are you using a lot of green in the house in other rooms? what is granite? what are floors? will the cabinets have handles? stainless steel appliances? photo of green?
July 24, 2013 at 6:06am        Thanked by pirateroo
Brenda
If it were me, I'd go with something more neutral ... I tire of color too easily, so I like to have it in my less-expensive and easily-replaceable accessories.

But I am DYING to hear how your diy backpainted glass project goes. I am in the process of a kitchen reno, and I too am planning on backpainted glass splashes. But I think I am too afraid to go the diy route, and will probably shell out the bucks for "Dreamwalls" ... you could just be the inspiration I need to take it on!
July 24, 2013 at 6:12am      Thanked by pirateroo
rinqreation
What color will the granite be?
When looking at your cabinets now, I think light gold paint (white or silvery gold, see pictures)
But like TanCalGal says, what about all the other colors?
Piano Nook
Fogarty Finger - Architecture Interiors
July 24, 2013 at 6:20am        Thanked by pirateroo
TanCalGal
I saw the green on another link. Very nice green. Will look great.

There was a home in the LA Times a while ago, architect designed remo and the homeowner did a back splash like yours (hers was glass with orange paint) click these 2 links to read & here click Santa Monica house at bottom second article to view back splash (# 7). http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/26/home/la-hm-0626-minarc-20100626 http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2010/06/minarc-transforms-a-former-fiveplex-into-a-modern-ecofriendly-single-family-home.html

Here are the photos with the orange painted back splash http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm-klauber-speiden-pictures,0,6305807.photogallery?index=la-hm-klauber-speiden-picture1
July 24, 2013 at 6:13pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
The orange backsplash is very dynamic! I have seen a lot of them and they always look very ethereal and have such depth. The fireplace is in the adjacent room, so I think stainless knobs will help tie the rooms together. I am thinking to just go for the backpainted glass, if it looks terrible I won't install it! Brenda, I purchased my paint from Sherwin Williams, it is urethane based to be compatible with the glass paint primer. they can match any color. The paint and sprayer and measuring cups etc. we're about $100. The glass paint primer was from a co. Of the same name, you wipe it on and rub it in, it lets the paint chemically bond to the glass. That was $175 for a quart. The glass can be templated just like a mirror, and there will be a hole in it for my pot filler. The estimate for an approx. 40"x 42" size was about $150. My granite goes in Friday or Monday so I will template after that, and get to painting, I will post more then. Thanks.
July 25, 2013 at 1:14am     
TanCalGal
I remember seeing the photos of fireplace but I cannot find. Here are 2 photos of attractive knobs: Schwartz and Architecture Japanese Inspired Remodel in Noe Valley-Kitchen
July 25, 2013 at 9:04am        Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
I keep adding pics and comments, and then they disappear?!
July 25, 2013 at 1:56pm   
Brenda
I've watched the videos online of how to do it ... I would LOVE to do it myself -- the Dreamwalls quote I got was in the neighborhood of a $100 per square foot and I have quite a large space I would like to do.

Have you done any research into using low iron "starphire" glass (more "clear" less "green")?
July 25, 2013 at 2:02pm        Thanked by pirateroo
rinqreation
Sometimes they seem to disappear for just a short while, but they're there. Check later on if they are. Otherwise it plain weird and you need to repost.. You did comment in this post, did you?
July 25, 2013 at 2:05pm      Thanked by pirateroo
rinqreation
I did find this http://www.houzz.com/discussions/576221/Okay--I-apparently-was-posting-my-response--- so now I know what type of green paint youwere referring to. Looks like a nice green in the picture. Still I don't see the granite color anywhere though..
July 25, 2013 at 2:07pm      Thanked by pirateroo
TanCalGal
pirateroo: try again. It's usually quite easy to attach images & comments, & click submit...
July 25, 2013 at 2:17pm      Thanked by pirateroo
Pedini of Atlanta, llc
We installed a kitchen with glass backsplash. I think it would be a tough DIY job for the scale of the glass you are working with. If you back paint it you cannot just install with mastic as it may show through the glass or react with the paint. You are probably better using a professional glass company. The attached photos are a kitchen we installed with glass tops and backsplash. The client selected the color she wanted from a pantone color chart.
July 25, 2013 at 2:22pm        Thanked by pirateroo
Brenda
Pedini those glass tops are gorgeous. Is that a Dreamwalls product?
July 25, 2013 at 2:26pm      Thanked by pirateroo
Brenda
pirateroo -- is this the paint product that you are using? http://www.glasspaint.com/
July 25, 2013 at 2:53pm      Thanked by pirateroo
TanCalGal
Here's a comment that pirateroo made on another thread about the painted glass back splash.

"pirateroo
Hi, I am remodeling my kitchen and am going with the backpainted glass on my range wall. It does not have to be overly expensive if you are a little bit handy. Get starfire (low-iron glass) from your local glass shop. You can have them template it and it installs like a mirror. I ordered Glassprimer, they have a website same name, you wipe it on the back of the glass so the paint will adhere properly. It costs $175. You will then need urethane based paint- get it from Sherwin-Williams or other car paint shop. They can color match any shade. Paint and hardener and reducer approx. $125. ( that included a small sprayer and measuring cup) after you get your glass and use the primer, you spray the back until you have good coverage, usually several thin coats. At that point you can install the glass yourself with an acid free adhesive or have the glass shop install it. My total cost for a 42x40" backsplash, approx. $500. That included 3 cut outs in the glass and 2 smaller side pieces. Way better than the $1500 + I saw that someone else paid for a similar sized splash. Much easier to keep clean- No Grout Lines! Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.....
2 months ago · Like · 6"
July 25, 2013 at 3:01pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Hello Brenda, yes,it is Glasspaint.com and yes, you need to use the low-iron glass/Starfire to get the truest color. When I try to add a different pic , my original 3pics above are posted again, how do you add different pics? Thanks
July 25, 2013 at 6:07pm   
pirateroo
For some reason, I am unable to add any different pics, only comments- very frustrating!
July 25, 2013 at 6:18pm   
TanCalGal
When I click "attach images", it takes me to my desktop and I select the photo from there. The photos have to be jpeg, I think.
July 25, 2013 at 6:33pm      Thanked by pirateroo
TanCalGal
I sent a note to houzz customer support with a link to this post. Did not find anything helpful to your problem on FAQ site.
July 25, 2013 at 6:39pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Thanks, these 3 pics post and then disappear?!
July 25, 2013 at 8:04pm   
pirateroo
Weird, I just posted the 3 pics again and they showed up in the middle of this string, I took 4new pics, but the first 3pics and comments I made before posted instead!
July 25, 2013 at 8:08pm     
Peter P.
Hello there!

The photos in the original first posting once posted can not be changed or added to.

However, feel free to add photos to comments (such as the one I am writing right now).

Simply copy and paste the Houzz link!

Here's an example:
July 26, 2013 at 10:01am      Thanked by pirateroo
John Mills Davies ASID
Hello- Take a look at my kitchen pic...I too wanted laminated glass back splash but without the $6000 price. Im a designer and came up with my idea: sandblasted glass panels held off the wall slightly by a U-channel top and bottom. Joints are all silicone and I painted the wall an orange color that diffuses beautifully to the color of the cabinetry itself. Its a great effect and I had my glass shop do the whole thing. The U-Channels are brushed aluminum used for glass shower enclosures-believe it or not. My ceilings are 10 1/2' tall and I believe the total cost installed was around $1500. Ps: House and kitchen have won multiple design awards for inventive, smart, small house.
July 26, 2013 at 10:09am      Thanked by pirateroo
TanCalGal
John M Davies: I checked your photos but I do not see the laminated glass back splash.
July 26, 2013 at 11:27am   
TanCalGal
pirateroo: that message from Peter P was for you, did his information help?
July 26, 2013 at 11:27am      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
I don't see the backsplash either- where can we see it? Thanks
July 26, 2013 at 1:28pm   
pirateroo
Hi John, I looked for the pics, but could not find them? I would love to see the effect, please post.
July 26, 2013 at 1:29pm   
pirateroo
Hi Peter, I have tried to add new pics with a new comment, but instead of the new comment I write and the new pics I take, as soon as I hit submit, it posts my original 3 pictures and comments, and then they disappear!
July 26, 2013 at 1:32pm   
pirateroo
Hi TanCalGal, this sounds very interesting if we could only see the pics.....
July 26, 2013 at 1:34pm   
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
i saw them, sort of a rust color. looks good
July 26, 2013 at 2:10pm      Thanked by pirateroo
John Mills Davies ASID
Click on the picture with the two people-one seated and one standing. The backsplash is in that pic on the left. To be clear, the glass is not painted- it is sandblasted (or "acid-etched" glass. The wall behind the glass is painted. The glass sits just forward of the wall, otherwise if the glass touches the wall a. you see all inperfections in the wall and b. the sandblasted effect is diminished considerably.
I came up with this idea when faced with the expensive (yet desirable) alternative of using 'laminated glass' where the color IS part of the glass itself. Its Modernism on a budget!
July 26, 2013 at 4:00pm        Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Ok I saw the backsplash, from the angle the pic was taken it looks very much like backpainted glass, certainly worth considering, Thanks
July 26, 2013 at 5:59pm   
TanCalGal
Very nice, JM Davies!
July 26, 2013 at 10:23pm   
Brenda
just went to the tile stores this weekend to see if there was something that I liked better than the solid back painted glass option ... no luck ...
July 29, 2013 at 5:51am        Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Me either, I've decided to just go for it and do the metallic green paint I originally planned to use, some of my granite is in and it's gorgeous! I can't wait to get it all finished!
July 30, 2013 at 9:50am     
pirateroo
Hello all, update on backsplash- I paid $175 for the Glassprimer, $125 for the paint, $450 for the starfire glass (39x46) that had 1 hole, 1 notch for the hood attachment, tempering, and polishing the edges all the way around. That also included 2 tubes of neutral cure glass sealant. I painted it yesterday, I swear I put on at least 25 coats with the fine mist sprayer I got with the paint supplies, every 10-15 min. Took all day! Now the paint is curing and we will install it Saturday afternoon. So, total cost $750. I will post pics tomorrow after we get it up. Pre-painted the wall green so it wouldn't be white, so no show-through.
September 6, 2013 at 7:50pm     
TanCalGal
Thank you for the update. I hope you send more photos. The green seems the perfect green for the granite!
September 6, 2013 at 8:17pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Hi TanCalGal, I was looking for you to send you a comment! I will post again tomorrow with more pics of the almost finished kitchen, it looks better than I had hoped, we are so pleased!
September 6, 2013 at 8:24pm     
pirateroo
Hi TanCalGal, I tried to post some new pics but the same 4 pics I posted on another discussion show up attached with another posters pics and comments!
I'm stumped! I will try again to post just the pic of the backsplash after I post this comment. By the way, the backsplash looks fabulous! It took about 25 thin coats of paint and has a subtle shimmer that looks fabulous! We installed it ourselves and saved $350. Total cost for paint, glass and fabrication of the glass about $750.
September 10, 2013 at 12:09am   
pirateroo
So I can post comments, but if I try to add pics I get the same 4 I posted earlier and they are somehow linked to Maryr410?!!!!!
September 10, 2013 at 12:12am   
yonube
Please post pictures... I love back painted glass! I think it helps reflecting light. I thought about doing it but didn't have the guts...
September 10, 2013 at 12:26am        Thanked by pirateroo
Cabinets To Go
These colors would go great with your kitchen!
September 10, 2013 at 7:33am      Thanked by pirateroo
TanCalGal
I found some of your photos here. Nice job!!
September 10, 2013 at 11:05am      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Hello Yonube, I will try to post a pic of the backsplash, I have been having trouble posting pics!
September 10, 2013 at 8:56pm   
Hi Pirateroo, That's a weird problem you are encountering with trying to post photos. Maybe browser related. Can you try opening up a different browser and see if you are having the same issue?
September 12, 2013 at 8:46am        Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
I'll try, thanks!
September 12, 2013 at 3:16pm     
pirateroo
Ok, here is the glass backsplash, I used metallic green automotive paint so it has a subtle shimmer. It turned out better than I expected. The next thing to go up is the trim kit around the vent hood. And then the door pulls!
September 12, 2013 at 7:52pm     
TanCalGal
Thanks pirateroo! Happy you were able to post this photo....very, very nice.
September 12, 2013 at 7:59pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Thanks, here's a closer pic, the potfiller trim ring is held in place while the sealant cures.
September 12, 2013 at 8:05pm   
pirateroo
Hello Emily, I posted this picture using my phone and, what the heck! It worked! Thanks!
September 12, 2013 at 8:06pm     
TanCalGal
Meant to say I like the accent color in the granite; it enhances the green. It' sort of a golden-rust and looks good with the wood cabinets and floor, too.
September 12, 2013 at 8:30pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
Thanks, TanCalGal, I tried to pull the green out of the granite, I was going to go with the rust color for the backsplash but realized it would blend into the cabinet color too much! Overall very pleased with the whole remodel! Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions, I love Houzz!
September 12, 2013 at 8:39pm     
noiwh8
Your kitchen is lovely. I've often admired counters similar to yours, but never liked it once the backsplash was added. Yours is fabulous and the best way to enhance the rich granite, rather than compete with it. Congratulations.
September 12, 2013 at 9:06pm      Thanked by pirateroo
Ann
Nice job! Looks great!
September 12, 2013 at 9:09pm      Thanked by pirateroo
pirateroo
I agree, a lot of the mosaics that are used look too busy and do seem to compete with the granite if the granite has any kind of movement in it. Thank-you for the compliment!
September 12, 2013 at 10:35pm   
nancy russel
That looks great. I'm tempted to try this myself since our 1st quote came in for $4500!
Yikes wasn't expecting that at the last phase of kitchen redo.
Nancy R
February 13, 2014 at 10:50am        Thanked by pirateroo
Can cabinets be stained white instead of painted?
Getting custom cabinetry. Saw work in other homes....
Solar Panel
Hi, I need to know , how is the best step to install...
Can you use two different carpets in a house?
Hi all, I desperately need some advice, sorry no pics...
Can't add to cart.
Trying to buy Morris floor storage unit, but there...
Guest bed drama! Advice for twin XL pop up trundle
I'm looking for a twin XL bed frame that is high enough...