HELP with fireplace wall!
ksmithgg
We want to totally redo this wall. Fireplace stays. Need to put flat screen tv either above fireplace or possibly build in shelving/bookcases to left of fireplace. Ideas need for mantle etc
I like the idea of a low cabinet to the left of the fireplace with a new, larger TV hung on the wall above it. I also think you need to clean up the lines of the fireplace where far too many things are happening. The cabinet door needs to go away and there should be one mantel, not two.

The photo below may be too contemporary for you, but I like its simplicity. I would build a wall straight up to the ceiling and then add a 5" stainless steel box mantel that wraps around the two sides of the FP.

2 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 5:48AM
nmkowalczyk
I agree with putting a wall up above the fire place but maybe starting from the second mantel to cover the built-in box at the top. I would then keep the bottom mantel and place a flat screen above the mantel leaving enough space to place small but few decor. You do not want to overwhelm the area if you are placing book shelves. I would place a family photo or the sign that you have in the existing "built-in box". If you do go for the book shelve there are two ways. Floor to bottom shelves but do not fill the shelves to the max- will make area very cluttered and overwhelming. Or put in floating shelves different sizes. I would recommend white shelves.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 6:09AM
ksmithgg
Thanks for your suggestions. It gives me another idea for some positive changes!
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 9:44AM
ksmithgg
I really like your idea. I need to send a full front picture as we have a vaulted two story wood ceiling on this wall. If I carried the sheetrock up to the ceiling, I would have a huge empty space that would need something, not sure what that would be. The cabinet door on the side (which I hated) was for the TV controls as originally my husband wanted the TV above the fireplace, but I have him talked out of that.

Sorry I don't have a full front view, but will send when I can get back and take a picture next weekend (it is a 2nd home on the lake)

The chrome around the fireplace is a little modern but perhaps I could do a different material. I'm really think it would look better to not have any mantle though. I think it might look funny if you don't wrap it around the corner, what do you think.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 10:04AM
The mantel could certainly be of a different material than SS, such as you see in the photo below, in which case you could match the wood on your ceiling. Or you could choose to have no mantel at all.

1 Like   July 22, 2013 at 10:30AM
ksmithgg
Thanks for the ideas. Appreciate the input!
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 2:36PM
need help and ideas for a wall to wall fireplace
need help and ideas for a wall to wall fireplace that...
Sakina Walton
fireplace wall color, livingroom wall color, art help
Looking to paint fireplace wall. Color ideas for fireplace...
michelle3370
Need help for wall of brick fireplace
I would like to bring some lightness into this dark,...
jeeyunkim
Under mount sink disaster- what would houzz do!?
Today I filled my 36" stainless steel sink with water...
Elizabeth Yannone
decision as to which side of house to open up
I bought a 1947, 1 - 1/2 storey home with stairs almost...
sclalande
Painting light fixture?
I have a chandelier that I bought in Venice. The fixture...
susan2494
Roof drainage
Hi I'm not a professional architect but I do like...
dv11
I am looking to upgrade my shower to a steam shower. Where do I start?
I would like to make sure I select the right stone...
Olga Yurick