Advantages and disadvantages of tile.
Sandy Andres
We are having trouble deciding if we should use tile over wood floors. I worry about high traffic and maintenance of wood. If any one has tile in their living room, dining and kitchen, what kind do you recommend? Cost is a factor.
dalma darling
Are the wood floors in poor condition? I'm curious to know why you'd want to cover them up. I prefer to maintain wood floors over worrying about cleaning grout with tiles. Just my personal preference though as someone living in an all hardwood house ;)
November 7, 2013 at 12:11pm   
touchadream
I agree with dalma. I would rather have wood but am settling for tile because of cost. Wood is very low maintenance in my experience.
November 7, 2013 at 12:21pm   
Belahn
If you have pets, tile is better. I had 100 year old wood floors beautifully refinished but my Great Dane's toenails (which I kept cut regularly) put nicks in them. I also did not like waxing them which was recommended to do about once a month to keep them shiny. Also, if there are ever any water issues they will be ruined. In that old house I did not have wood in kitchens or bathrooms but I've seen people do that and I think it's crazy. In my experience wood was not as low maintenance as tile. I now have all Mexican tile but am open to some wood laminate if it looks good. The reason I would do that is because it is highly durable for pets. Pergo has a commercial with dogs running all over it.
November 7, 2013 at 12:33pm   
Belahn
Dalma, I don't think she wants to put tile over existing wood. I think she is trying to decide on wood or tile.
November 7, 2013 at 12:34pm     
dalma darling
You are right, Blahn. I misread. I still vote for hardwood! :)
November 7, 2013 at 12:35pm   
J Petempich
I started to answer this three times and finally looked up where you live and saw Minnesota. I would lean towards wood. Tile is cold in the winter and I think the color and styles are changing more quickly than with wood. I have also had solid wood floors that we sanded and stained darker about the same time that they needed a new finish anyway. I like tile and large amounts of masonry in the south where the coolness of the night is maintained from the stone and tile. Humidity does better with tile so I would recommend it in the laundry (with a room drain) and basements.
November 7, 2013 at 1:12pm     
Cancork Floor Inc.
In cold climates the tile just gets colder. The noise from tile is unbelievable - it increases noise and the echo will move throughout the space. I vote hardwood. A hardwood (3/4") that is appropriate for your lifestyle and needs, that is site finished can be a wonder. When wood is factory finished the finish is "perfect" - but the seams are open to moisture and mud/dirt,etc. These finishes are great - but the BEST floors from the best installers will always be site-finished. It might not be "perfect" like the prefinished hardwoods, but site finishes are the ones that you hear about "100 year floor that takes all the abuse you can throw at it and looks great". Those floors are all site finished.

A polyurethena finish should NEVER BE WAXED! You can use high-end acrylic based "polishes" that are made for hardwood (only use what is recommend by the flooring professional that installed your floors) that adds a layer of "semi-permanent" finish that takes all the abuse without letting the finish get damaged. it takes all the scratches from dog's nails, roller blades, barbie vans, etc. Yes it has to be added to the finish every 8-12 months. It also can be used for "spot polishes" in hallways and kitchens. These semi-permenant polishes are designed to wear off - so your floor can be refinshed at a later date. Wax on hardwood means you may never be able to refinish them.

I have to throw in my 2 cents for cork flooring - but if you are questioning the "durability" of a hardwood, then you would not be very comfortable thinking about a softer floor - like cork. It is beautiful, it is warm, it is quiet (removes sound instead of creating it) but it dimples easily and dogs nails (like wood) will create scratches (which can be removed). Someone considering tile in a cold climate is someone looking for indestructable.
November 7, 2013 at 1:53pm   
Hardwood, not tile, for Minnesota. Different answer for Florida, etc.
November 7, 2013 at 2:13pm     
corner shower vs. rectangular advantages disadvantages
I have room for either corner or rectangular style...
advantages and disadvantages of using granite countertops in rentals
Other than the obvious additional cost, and disadvantages...
advantages / disadvantages to inset or overlay kitchen cabinets
It seems that many of the pictures show inset cabinets....
Advantages/Disadvantages of Plantation Shutters?
We are looking for appropriate type window treatment...
Help with sunroom off of kitchen
Hey guys!! We just bought a new house and I love the...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
I need help with an exterior front!
We are building a home on a down sloping lot, so there...
need help in my kitchen
My floors cannot be changed, they are terra stone....
open floor plan kinda
So we are about to move into our first home. idk where...