How would you arrange furniture in this Oddly Shaped Living Room?
Devyn Fraser
July 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to find out how to arrange furniture in this weird room. There are all sorts of openings and angles making it hard to arrange furniture without breaking up the large space or making everything look cramped and cluttered. I am just focusing on furniture arrangement right now as I'm focusing on doing the kitchen at the moment (I know those ugly curtains have got to go)

I have included dimensions and floor plan (the red is the windows and the blue is the kitchen bar) and some pictures so that you could more accurately see the space. We bought the house because of the large, open areas, so I don't want to cut that up.

PS: excuse the mess, I have small children and I'm distracted
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Is that a door left of the FP on your floor plan? Looks to be a solid wall from what the pix show. You've blocked up the room with the furniture and turned away from the focal point (always the FP if you have one.) I'd put the long sofa on the 16' wall, love in front of the window. Wall mount the TV between the FP and the bar on a swing arm if there is no door there. I'd replace the chair with a swivel chair that can turn to face the tv/fp corner. That way you have more flexibility and can set the chair in front of the bar. Just remove the swag valance. You can probably leave the panels.
July 22, 2013 at 7:39pm   
Devyn Fraser
I'm not sure what you mean about the door on the left. on the left is a 16ft wall with a hallway that leads into the master bedroom and a diagonal wall on the other side of that opening. I'd love the focal point to be the FP, but it's in a very awkward place. the space is so large, that putting the tv on the opposite wall makes it difficult to see from where the sofas would be.
July 22, 2013 at 7:49pm   
decoenthusiaste
The opening/door I saw on your floorplan was on the left side of the FP, between it and the bar. There is no line drawn there, so I assumed it was a doorway, but it could have just been an omission on the drawing. That's where I'd have the TV, so both focals (FP and TV) are together. You can wall mount it on a swing arm for better viewing adjustments.
July 23, 2013 at 4:48am   
Devyn Fraser
Oh, that's the right side...unless you're viewing it from the top. That's where I was confused. Yeah, it was an omission...it's a solid wall. Thank you for your suggestions!
July 23, 2013 at 6:21am