Need help... Dark Kitchen / Tomato Red Walls
angela_tackett
Just bought home built in 2007. Nice architectural features but dated kitchen. Granite is decent just very dark. Kitchen opens to living room & vaulted ceilings. Lots of wrought iron & new wide plank espresso floors. At a loss for cabinetry color -- white perhaps -- with black knobs? Take out tile & put espresso wood in the kitchen? Love the old world style but need to update it!!!! Help!
Christy Tay
Go the opposite! White cabinets, black counter tops and lighter wall! If you have some white cabinets, add some glass doors. I think that could give up a little more modern update. It could also make it seem a little more open. What do you think, Angela?
July 22, 2013 at 10:54pm        Thanked by angela_tackett
nwduck
Before doing too many other changes, I would look into replacing the cabinet doors with a simpler style matching the current wood. As an "oldster" here, when I saw your photo I honestly thought it was a 1970s kitchen due to the front panels. A lighter paint color on the walls would also help a great deal. You might just try that piece first to see how you like it.
July 22, 2013 at 11:37pm        Thanked by angela_tackett
LB Interiors
I would use creamy ivory cabinets with the black countertops. Change the doors and drawer fronts. The flooring can still work. If you change the flooring you could use something in the neutral creamy colors. I'd use a great tile with beiges, tans and some warmth. Or wood in the same colors stated. I would faux the walls to keep the style. or use a warm tan paint.

For inspiration
Traditional Kitchen
Bentwood Range Hood
Old-World Kitchen Designs
July 22, 2013 at 11:52pm        Thanked by angela_tackett
Sharon
If you bring the espresso flooring in to the kitchen, your cupboards will need to be significantly lighter.
July 23, 2013 at 3:24am        Thanked by angela_tackett
A Crew of Two
My first thought was, it's not that bad. Start by painting the kitchen a lighter color. If you like the mediterranean look what about a soft yellow? Hawthorne Yellow hc-4 Benjamin Moore You say the counters are dark, but in good shape....what about replacing the one on the island and getting something lighter for it? Various Work Then get some new lighting- the can lights are nice for tasks, but do not help brighten the feel of the room. I would also do a new back splash. You could go full on mediterranean or just do something that is a little more special. It is hard to tell from your pics, but it looks like just a basic white Capital Lighting 3261MBZ-125 1 Light Mini Pendant Mediterranean Collection If these changes do not give you the look you want, then you may have to think new cabinets. Tabarka Mediterranean Terra Cotta Tile Beveled Arabesque Tile
July 23, 2013 at 4:23am   
linlac
Like the idea of the cream cabinets with your existing granite and espresso floors. Refacing would be a good option. I would remove the small cabinet above stove and add a larger range hood. Play up your arches by adding stone, brick, or rustic tile borders along the tops or cover the entire arched walls. A rustic chandelier above island if possible.
July 23, 2013 at 5:09am        Thanked by angela_tackett
angela_tackett
Thank you for the photo with ideas. Replacing the cabinetry is not an option right now, so refacing may be the best option. Yes, we will be replacing the range hood. I like the concept of the darker range against the lighter wood.
July 23, 2013 at 7:43am     
Need help with storage, curtains, and style
Im considering buying cherry hutch pictured to go...
How to maintain a cedar deck
Problem with the deck boards turning gray
Exterior Stone and Brick Colors!
We are in need of some great brick and stone combos...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Too much red in this room - what type/color chair would you add?
I am sick of the goose neck chairs and the corner chair....