Who better to come to for help (ideas for Christmas backdrop)
staylor0209
Going to tradeshow. 10x10 booth (instead of 10x20). we grow & wholesale real Christmas trees. Our target audience is Garden Centers that sell trees. Need a simple idea (not real heavy) for a backdrop. Drapes,sheers? Want old timey mountain look. Going to have train around tree, rocking chair and old wood sign instead of banner, wreath. Pic is of our 10x20. May not b room for red door in 10x10. loosing reg. table & using old wooden table instead. need ideas. advice
staylor0209
burlap backdrop?
July 23, 2013 at 6:53AM     
bennnie
A few suggestions from a shopper - not a retail professional - so take it for what its worth.

1. Better quality bows would have more appeal. I am not a fan of the flocked faux velvet bows. To me, they signal a lack of thought or effort and I would be questioning if that somehow translated into a lack of quality in your product. (Which doesn't appear to be the case as the trees and wreaths are very beautiful). Robust tartan bows would be more upscale.

2. Would it be possible to hang one or two of the wreaths on some sort of stand? It might make the display more dimensional, give it more depth. Maybe use the rocking chair?

3. I love the red door. If possible, maybe the above suggested stand could be a trifold screen made from old doors hinged together and cut down to a nice height.

4. The wooden sign sounds like a nice addition.

5. The fireplace is a bit old school. Any chance of configuring a fireplace from wood that matches the wooden sign? Wouldn't have to be a real fireplace - just sort of the suggestion of a fireplace and mantel.
July 23, 2013 at 6:57AM        Thanked by staylor0209
Gantt's Decorating
OK I'm going to go out on a limb now(pun intended)and share a few thoughts. When I go to trade shows I'm looking for "new" ideas. There are so many booth and so little time I walk at a very past pace. What makes me stop and go into a booth is an item or idea that I might be able to adapt or sell at my business. Being brutally frank there is nothing here that would make me stop and investigate. I did a room set at my shop I called a "lodge look". You would to figure out how to make one substantial wall, but I think the "idea would get people to stop and take a closer look. Then it's up to you to sell trees. I'll see if I can post a picture, but you should go to ganttsdecorating.com look at the blogs on Lodge Christmas and making Christmas Decorations from roadside weeds. I hope this is helpful and that you will let me know what you think. Bill Gantt
July 23, 2013 at 7:00AM     
I would use a back drop giving the illusion of it snowing ;) create a snow globe effect.
July 23, 2013 at 7:00AM        Thanked by staylor0209
bennnie
Love the burlap idea - seems to go well with the galvanized steel buckets used for the stands.
July 23, 2013 at 7:00AM     
Gantt's Decorating
Putting the deer head over a framed mirror keeps it from becoming gloomy and makes it look dresser. Most of the decorations are from nature.
July 23, 2013 at 7:03AM   
JWinteriors
What everyone is saying, is, stage it like a real log cabin Christmas feel with all of the details that make them want to stop and see how they could duplicate it....starting with your beautiful trees and wreaths.
July 23, 2013 at 7:13AM        Thanked by staylor0209
Prop up a sled along side the fireplace or a rocking chair next to it. Do you have access to electricity? If so, how about 2 poles on each side with a bar across and string white lighting across the top of the entire display.
July 23, 2013 at 7:18AM        Thanked by staylor0209
staylor0209
Bennie. I totally agree regarding the bows. I will take your advice. Gantt's thank you for your advice on the wow factor. Thank you JW and Margo. I am ditching the fireplace and the fake wall. Keeping the rocking chair and cute ice skate. Adding white lights on tree w/ lionel train at base. Just purchased burlap for background. Possibly adding a few long white lights vertically or a few strands horizontal. Small wooden table to hold monitor. Have a small sled I can borrow from friend.
July 23, 2013 at 8:06AM   
dldesignstudio
Just make sure your trade show state doesn't have fireproofing laws on backdrop. When I did trade shows in NY and Vegas a fire marshal came by and put a flame to our backdrop to test for fire resistance! I've done about 100 trade shows over the years (fashion) and each state handles backdrops differently. Just a thought.
July 23, 2013 at 8:43AM      Thanked by staylor0209
bennnie
didesignstudio - that's a great point. I think there are easy to use fabric flame retardant sprays out that can be purchased.
July 23, 2013 at 9:18AM      Thanked by staylor0209
dldesignstudio
Also, think about hanging the wreaths at different levels with ribbon. Some trade shows give out hooks that you can use like a shower rod hook. Then you can use ribbon instead of monofilament or wire to hand the wreaths. I've done a couple of boutique type shows with wreaths I've made and sold out. Smaller scale I know but just as effective.
July 23, 2013 at 9:42AM   
dldesignstudio
Hang not hand.
July 23, 2013 at 9:46AM   
staylor0209
dldesignstudio - I like the idea, but a little confused on where you hang the wire. do you have any kind of visual?
July 23, 2013 at 11:39AM   
dldesignstudio
Sorry for delay in response. Client meetings. No visual because it was some years ago I quit doing trade shows. The hooks go over the backdrop drapery rod and extend down so you can attach or hang pretty much anything from them. You can probably get S hooks or some of the shower rings that Target carries. They don't close so ignore those. You loop the back of the wreath with the ribbon, extend the ribbon to the hook and tie an big bow up top. Just a thought. You can achieve the effect on your red door with a nail at the top, use an S hook.
July 23, 2013 at 4:48PM   
Need help to install a backdrop - Ideas wanted
Am looking to add a dark backdrop to the wall behind...
Help! Christmas tree ideas
Hey guys! I need some ideas of what else to add to...
Help with awning or better idea
Opening a cafe.. Have front with dark gray ceiling.....
Need help to place stairs or better idea for east open G+2 home floor
The are is 24 x 30.5 sq.ft I have to build g+2 modern...
Living Area
I am trying to arrange my living area and am getting...
stain railing and newels or not?
We just got a new front door and it is fiberglass....
Bathroom, can I make this work??
I have these pieces, cabinet - sink - and faucet. Our...
using upholstery fabric for valances without a cornice board
I have a 60% cotton 40% polyester fabric I found when...
Need Help Finalizing My Kitchen/Nook
Hi Houzz! I am moving into our new build home and...