OLLD 7/23
Robin W
July 23, 2013 in Other
Good morning OLLD's!

Confession - I've been lurking... and y'all have been so quiet!!! Even you Bobbi!!!
kimdee24
Good morning everyone! Robin -- I knew you were lurking! It has been very quiet, where are all my lovelies? I've missed you....
July 23, 2013 at 6:59am     
armygirl1987
Thank God Robin missed your Booo and have even been using it. Morning Kimdee, I am mot sure what is going on feel like a lost child.
July 23, 2013 at 7:12am     
Jayme H.
Hi ladies...I looked earlier and didn't see anyone. How's everyone today?
July 23, 2013 at 7:21am     
mefor
Morning, good to hear from you robin, glad you're back :)
Morning kimdee, Angela and jayme. I feel a bit like an abandoned waif too, lol.
Anybody doing anything noteworthy today? Or just working, or chilling?
July 23, 2013 at 7:29am     
armygirl1987
I am good just finish clearing the corner for my new garden and found a new landscaper. and let me just show of my floor one more time.
July 23, 2013 at 7:37am     
mefor
Looking good, don't forget to take really good pics for olio :)
July 23, 2013 at 7:46am   
armygirl1987
I am trying but it keeps saying they are too large to upload.
July 23, 2013 at 7:49am   
S. Thomas Kutch
Morning ladies...........I'm beginning to think dementia is taking over the OLLD's . I'm the only one allowed to be confused........HEY LOOK! SQUIRREL!

Another day of rain here today..........(checking my toes for webs or moss).....small lightening bolt hit the street light a bit ago and sent cats and the dog scurrying for cover........ nothing quite as fun as watching a cat trying to run and flatten out at the same time.....the dog just jumped on the couch and buried her head under the throw pillows. I lead such an exciting life.

Didn't get much I had planned yesterday done......too many interruptions. First was BCC (bat crap crazy) MIL calling to tell me she was getting rid of her safe because someone had broken into it (cut a hole in the bottom and then clued the plug back in) so it was useless........what ensued was the same discussion that we've had about it for the 100th time........no, nobody has broken into your safe, the circular depression in the bottom of the safe is in the plastic liner, the welded joints are all in the plastic liner and the result of the forming process of the liner.......We're not buying a new safe, if you get rid of it, all the stuff in it is going to a safe deposit box at the bank and you're not seeing it again. No, we aren't bringing over the antique chest of drawers.....you don't need them, you have no room for them and when they move you over into a shared unit, half of the stuff you have now is going to have to be moved to storage.........No, we aren't going to move you to another Assisted Living Center....... etc., etc.. No, I'm not Uncle Billy, nor am I Bill (wife's first husband who is dead) .......In 2 days, we'll have this discussion again or the one about the Snow Balls (candy) she wants to make and needs a sauce pan so she can cook them in.....No, you don't have a stove in your unit. No, your friend Nancy doesn't have a stove in her unit either, I don't care what she says. No, her son doesn't come over and cook for her.... he either brings in food from the restaurant or takes her to his sister where he cooks for her there.....she doesn't have a stove in her unit. I don't care what she says or that she's from Texas like you..... she's as BCC as your are, that's why you get along together.........this why I have left explicit instructions that when I reached the stage where I'm no longer able to function mentally, I'm to be taken out into the woods with a tent, my camp chair, a cooler of beer and left.........the wild animals and I will get a really good drunk on.

Then it was the Neighborhood Association President wanting to go close out the old bank account and open up a new free one at another bank and since I'm the VP, my name has to be on the account too along with hers and the Treasurer........another couple of hours out of my schedule.

Then it was my mother who called......no, $300 will not pay for a trip out there and back. No, it won't buy an airplane ticket. No, it hasn't been 2 years since you've seen me, I was just out there in February for 2 weeks...........Yes, I'll make a trip out there this fall to visit with you.....No, that's not next week...........(banging my head on my desktop now)...........Beginning to think there just maybe some validity to euthanasia......

Today, I'm cutting off my cell phone......turning on some Andrea Bocelli, Three Tenors and other assorted classical tunes.........that is, after I make the bed, straighten up the house, unload the dishwasher, do some laundry and call the SS people again..............I need to win the Lottery.... things would be so much easier then.
July 23, 2013 at 8:06am     
Robin W
Just working. Yuck.

Finished PR training yesterday so now I'm one of the PR reps for our zone/platoon. I hate cameras so this should be interesting. I'm confronting my fears...
July 23, 2013 at 8:09am     
mefor
Grrrrr. How dare they say that. ;)
July 23, 2013 at 8:09am   
mefor
That's the way to do it, jump right in and get on camera. You may find you really enjoy it after a few times, new career path with the dept.
July 23, 2013 at 8:10am   
S. Thomas Kutch
Angela.... the floor looks great, but you've got a big bare spot there in the corner of your garden..... are you growing dirt...... I would, it doesn't take much effort.
July 23, 2013 at 8:12am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Robin.. just imagine that everybody watching you is naked. It really doesn't help with the jitters, but I find that it does put a smile on my face when I do it........
July 23, 2013 at 8:16am     
armygirl1987
Stk- Thanks but just putting in some plants in that corner. Was pretty surprise how good the dirt was underneath.
July 23, 2013 at 8:16am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Good dirt is good....... ours is mostly clay, so it takes a lot of conditioning to make it good for growing.
July 23, 2013 at 8:20am     
kimdee24
STK -- thanks for your comments earlier on my shower. Any idea what I should tell them, to fix it? And fix it right?
July 23, 2013 at 8:24am     
Robin W
Speaking of dirt... My pumpkin and tomato plants have taken over!!!
July 23, 2013 at 8:25am     
olldcan
Morning ladies and gent :)

Robin, is your basement dry? i had my fingers crossed for you :)

Kimdee, dont hesitate one minute to make that call. My advice to you would be, not to settle for a patch job. Of course, best scenario is to have the entire shower done again and this time correctly with the proper materials.

Angela, nice floor, not too light and not too dark. Whatcha planting in the corner?
July 23, 2013 at 8:26am     
Robin W
And here's the rest of the garden. I've only been able to get peas and strawberries so far...
July 23, 2013 at 8:26am     
olldcan
STK, hahahaha. No wonder you always seem to be in a greta mood.
July 23, 2013 at 8:28am     
Robin W
Basement is still damp. Trying to get time off work to pull it ALL out (including existing framing) but getting time off in the summer is impossible.
July 23, 2013 at 8:28am     
Robin W
I think I'd run screaming if I imagined everyone naked...
July 23, 2013 at 8:29am     
olldcan
Robin, Did you get additional water Monday morning?
July 23, 2013 at 8:30am     
mefor
Morning, Candace :)
Woohoo, look at my pretties, love the happy color
July 23, 2013 at 8:35am     
mefor
More planting, but I don't care, no deer to feast on it.
July 23, 2013 at 8:36am     
olldcan
mforr, Oooo I love the orange Hibiscus trees, no kiddin, we have the same coloured blue pots!!!! LOL
Is that an Angel Wing Begonia on you sidewalk?
July 23, 2013 at 8:41am     
mefor
Phlox, petunias, million bells, another hibiscus, and caladium (with the big pink and green leaves)
July 23, 2013 at 8:44am     
mefor
Want to build little firepit in center of adirondack semi circle
July 23, 2013 at 8:46am     
olldcan
Jayme, congrats on the boat!!!!! As for the cell phone. I have yet to lose on to the lake, only because I purposely leave it at home. I look at it like, it's me time, don't bother me, bug off etc. Had to shake my head on Sunday, the three kids at the cabin next door are all sitting on the dock talking/texting on there iphones. The parents are urging them to come in the boat but no takers. Seriously, how sad is that!!!!
July 23, 2013 at 8:47am     
olldcan
caladium oh i see, that's the one I thought was the Angel Wing Begonia. Phlox small fantastic in the evenings!! Gas or wood for the fire pit? is that an A/C unit near by, any concerns with it in close proximity? If not, that would be a great place for one.
July 23, 2013 at 8:51am     
mefor
Those plants on sidewalk are all going in the ground in the next couple of days
July 23, 2013 at 8:55am   
Jayme H.
@olldcan....Thanks!! My phone was a piece anyhow...they almost laughed at me when I said what I had lost (when I went to get a new one)...I have a droid now...much handier...We were in the boat up to 3x daily all weekend long. Jay tubed and swam in the middle of the lake, and we fished!!
July 23, 2013 at 8:56am     
olldcan
Arrggg, CHANGING GEARS!!!! The logging truck was supposed to show up today to pick up the trees that were cleared but he called this am and postponed until tomorrow. Yahoo, I say, I can stay home, cut grass do some laundry, etc. Well that all only lasted an hour, the Surveyors that are not supposed to come until Monday are now on there way soooo. Go, stay, wait, go, stay, wait, go
July 23, 2013 at 8:57am     
Jayme H.
mforr...LOVE your stuff...gorgeous!!
July 23, 2013 at 8:58am     
kimdee24
@jayme -- if you must take the phone, put it in a plastic ziplock and stow it in the cubby to make sure it stays dry.
July 23, 2013 at 8:59am     
olldcan
I'm gone TTYL
July 23, 2013 at 9:01am     
mefor
Wood, and there's enough space between. I'm going to use one of those retaining wall sets they sell at lowes. 3' diameter, probably 26" tallish. I will put slate on top to make it look a little more custom :)
July 23, 2013 at 9:05am   
mefor
Thanks jaymekins :)
July 23, 2013 at 9:17am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Kimdee........there are a number of problems with your installation. Beginning with the green board backer....green board is "moisture resistant", its use is not intended for wet areas (i.e. direct water areas likes tubs and showers).

The 2006 International Residential Code (IRC) states in
Section R702.4.2 that "Cement, fiber-cement or glass mat
gypsum backers in compliance with ASTM C1288, C1325
or C1178 and installed in accordance with manufacturers�
recommendations shall be used as backers for wall tile in
tub and shower areas and wall panels in shower areas."

The 2006 IRC also states in Section R702.3.8.1 that
"Water-resistant gypsum backing board [Greenboard] shall
not be used where there will be direct exposure to water."

That was your contractor's first mistake. Usually, in installations where contractors have taken a short cut and used "green board" behind tile in wet areas, failures are quite normal within 3-5 years. The second was using a "green paper" barrier over the green board as waterproofing......doesn't work.

There are several options, but unfortunately, they all require removal of the tile. A proper installation would have been a vapor barrier over the framing (tar paper lapped from bottom to top that over lapped the shower pan membrane), cement board, fiber-cement or glass mat gypsum board over that. With the cement or fiber-cement board, I will always apply a skim coat of a polymer grout or mastic. Once you have the board up (be it cement board with skim coat or glass mat gypsum), I always use a water barrier (i.e. Kerdi system or Redgard) then the tile work.......yes, it's more costly than the typical short cut methods, but the principal applies that if you can't afford to do it right the first time, you definitely can't afford to do it twice..... In your case, since the green board is already up (bad decision on the part of the contractor) I would go with the Redgard to waterproof the board.........when applied properly (joints and corner done first, one coat in a horizontal rollerd pattern and the second coat in a vertical rolled pattern) then your tile with the appropriate tile mastic and polymer grout will give you a waterproofed system.........sorry to say but your contractor or the tile guy sounds like a jack leg looking to make the most of his profit in giving you a sub-standard, non code compliant short cut.

I suspect that the problem with your sealant turning white is that water has gotten behind the tile through the grout joints is coming down behind the tile on the face of the "green paper" and collecting behind the bottom grout/sealant joint.
July 23, 2013 at 9:26am     
kimdee24
Thanks, STK... thank you.... I pretty much suspected that this would happen, and will continue to happen. As I mentioned in the dilemma, I TOLD them I didn't like it and they did it anyhow. Well, I guess they're not going to like it when I tell them I want it all torn out and rebuilt properly -- to MY specifications this time.

This is going to be a fight. But I am tired of worrying about this shower, and I worry about it every time I use it. The downstairs tub/shower is built exactly the same way, only no problems evident because nobody uses it.

And I suspect you're right about the sealant failure too.

Mega - *insert bad word here* - sigh.
July 23, 2013 at 9:53am     
mpoulsom
afternoon ladies and STK!

sorry been really busy with personal issues. bad weekend and the week isn't starting out so hot either! :(

angela the floor looks beautiful! and the furniture will be there friday??? can't wait!
July 23, 2013 at 10:08am     
kimdee24
Hey mp! Sorry to hear things aren't going well... (((hugs))) here's hoping for better days soon.
July 23, 2013 at 10:13am     
mpoulsom
thanks KD! I hope so too!!!!

sorry about your shower problem! that just totally sucks! not normal that anyone should have to deal with this sort of issue when it's new! good grief! don't contractors know that if you don't do it right the first time, it will cost them again in the end! not very smart thinking!
July 23, 2013 at 10:19am     
Jayme H.
MP...I am with u in heart and mind!! Lots going on & Chuck put in his 2 week notice at his job...so we r going to be officially winging it! Started up a facebook page for his new business & also posted it on multiple online area sites...He really is talented...can flip back and forth from spraying staining, construction, finishing carpentry, installing floors, roofing...installing kitchens, remodeling ..building closets, etc. Also can do autobody work and painting. Hope things settle down for u...the stress can be too much sometimes!
July 23, 2013 at 10:35am     
mpoulsom
STK.....please don't let the ladies drive you insane! i just read your above post about MIL and mom! hahaha!
July 23, 2013 at 10:38am     
mpoulsom
oh wow jayme! you guys are brave! I'll "like" his page if that helps at all! I guess the more likes the better! :)
thanks for your heart and mind! I need all of that that I can grab right now!!!!!! ha!
July 23, 2013 at 10:39am     
S. Thomas Kutch
MP sorry to hear hun that things aren't going well.......just keep in mind that pains and heartaches aren't options in life.....misery is a choice we make. Stay strong and know that we're here for you......even if you just need to vent........listening is free, but if you want me to provide answers I'll have to charge you........
July 23, 2013 at 10:52am     
armygirl1987
MP- so sorry that life is sucking fir you right now. You can always come visit me.
July 23, 2013 at 10:58am     
mpoulsom
lol stk!
thanks ang!
July 23, 2013 at 11:20am     
Robin W
Hugs.
July 23, 2013 at 11:48am     
mefor
MP, hang in there :)
July 23, 2013 at 12:43pm     
mefor
Poor STK, another day in paradise. ;)
July 23, 2013 at 1:15pm     
Jayme H.
STK....Sorry for the dementia-fueled day u r having!! At least your hip didn't pop out again, did it?
-Hey...Where is our Little Bobbie Bird?
July 23, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Jayme H.
I have to share...my ex husband whose name also happens to be Bobby...received good news from Mayo...He has a 90% chance of cure from his Lymphoma..!!!
July 23, 2013 at 1:48pm     
astraea
Good grief; I keep thinking today is 7/22, although I know it's Tuesday! I just posted on the 7/22 discussion, asking why everyone stopped posting there! :) Now I have to catch up with all of today's posts!
July 23, 2013 at 1:49pm     
Robin W
Lucky for you everyone has been super quiet today.

I'm sitting at work hoping to be resent to training that we were on our way to when we got pulled off to go to a higher priority call. We would have made it to the training had my partner not insisted to go get fuel... The new stuff they're giving us is really cool :)
July 23, 2013 at 1:56pm     
astraea
STK – knowing that your MIL’s & Mother’s memories are faulty, perhaps it would be less stressful to agree with them, rather than disagree/argue .. if neither remembers the next time they speaks to you anyway. Frustrating as those discussions must be, just remember it’s probably not something either can control, at this point.
July 23, 2013 at 1:57pm     
Jayme H.
Good point Astraea...we do that with patients with dementia.
July 23, 2013 at 2:24pm     
astraea
I had a friend who was very frustrated with her mother, who at the time still lived independently in her early 90s. The mother was addicted to the TV shopping channels, just ordering whatever she wanted, although she was living on SS. Whether she just "didn't connect the dots" between her spending & income, or was reverting to a willful child state, didn't really matter .. it was the kind of behavioral thing she couldn't control by herself anymore. Getting angry doesn't get thru any better; you have to find other ways to avoid such problems.
July 23, 2013 at 2:58pm     
mpoulsom
guys...about to leave work. Everyone have a great evening! xo
July 23, 2013 at 3:43pm     
mefor
Bye now :)
July 23, 2013 at 3:46pm     
Jayme H.
Hi guys...We have 2 estimates to give already...just started our page today!!
July 23, 2013 at 4:30pm     
Jayme H.
@Astraea...Good insight!! It is so hard on families to deal with this kind of thing. We have a dementia unit where I work. People can completely change from what they were in their earlier lives in re: personality. So very sad sometimes. There comes a point where some are just better off in a place where they can be safe and managed appropriately. @MP ..Hope u have a good night & STK is right...Stay strong and vent here..we love you!! I certainly have had my share of problems and drama lately & it sure did help to here such kind words of support & encouragement from all of you sweethearts!!
July 23, 2013 at 4:40pm     
astraea
Jayme - After my aunt had hip replacement (@ 91), the problems she had with rehab identified a heart valve problem, so she wasn't able to walk unaided anymore. We thought more therapy might strengthen her, so she went to a private nursing home. One time I brought a photo album in, and we were going thru it, when an attractive older resident said that she'd been a model back in the day. It got me thinking that instead of just having names on each door, it would have been nice to collect an old & current photo for each resident, and post that as well. It would remind both the staff & visitors, that these people no longer able to care for themselves, were once young & vibrant .. and to have more respect for them as people! Too much effort, they never followed up on my suggestion.
July 23, 2013 at 4:50pm     
Jayme H.
@STK...I like your idea on the pics...What I hate to see, is the unfortunate reality that many nursing homes are understaffed & the CNA's have a brutal work load, not leaving a lot of time for much but hard work. However, some facilities really do a nice job of making their places homey & comfy, etc. The one I work at is a nice facility & lots of homey touches there for the residents.
July 23, 2013 at 5:36pm     
mefor
That was Astraea, jayme. :)
I'm so glad that the father of your older children is hopefully looking at a positive road with his cancer. How wonderful for him and your kids, and also for you. Always have the little soft spot and of course you'd never want the children hurt or sad. It's a great bit of news :)
What on earth is happening here today and yesterday? Anyone have any idea what's eating the others. It's not like they aren't posting on houzz. I know we all need a rest sometimes, but it's usually from the dilemmas not here. Love to know whats going on. I think...
July 23, 2013 at 5:46pm     
mefor
Good night to whomever may be here . Sleep well and see you all tomorrow
July 23, 2013 at 5:59pm   
Jayme H.
@mforr...Yes, odd, isn't it? I am very relieved for my ex-husband and our kids...and YES...still a connection. I married him when I was 19 and we divorced when I was in my late 30's. So we were together for awhile!
July 23, 2013 at 6:01pm   
armygirl1987
So, another presentation down and I did really well. Got 20 out of 20 for presentation and 18 out of 20 for session..
July 23, 2013 at 6:09pm     
armygirl1987
Hoorah, Jayme, that is good news.
July 23, 2013 at 6:10pm   
mefor
That's a long time and a big connection.
July 23, 2013 at 6:10pm   
armygirl1987
Nice plants Michele.
July 23, 2013 at 6:14pm     
mefor
Good job Angela! Thats another step closer :)
And a really long day for you today. I'm dropping out, my eyes refuse to stay open. I was watching top gear on bbc America, on demand because my son and I missed the first two episodes and my eyes kept drooping, drooping and OPEN!!! After that happened about 20-30 times I realized my internal clock was taking over. No late night for me tonight. This time I'm out!! Nite jayme, night Angela :o
July 23, 2013 at 6:14pm   
armygirl1987
Night Michele, actually still the library.
July 23, 2013 at 6:21pm   
olldcan
I'm pooped!!!! I picked two big piles of roots and tree limbs and burnt them. Worst part was most of them were still partially in the dirt and clay. Hubby and my son dropped a 70' Poplar and bucked it along with a few others. What a difference just having one extra set of hands makes. The Surveyors pinned/staked and flagged everything so were good there. Tomorrow will be another day like today, must rest up, I feel like I've been hit by a truck :(
July 23, 2013 at 6:52pm     
Robin W
Just got home and feeling a bit overwhelmed again.

Actually, a lot overwhelmed. There needs to be eight of me to tackle everything that's going on right now. Boo!
July 23, 2013 at 6:54pm     
olldcan
Robin, I hear you there. Today I couldn't even look at the pile of destruction as a whole. I just focused on one small area. I don't know if it helped or not but, i'm going with it LOL. Hogie had the right idea, he spent the day snoozing in the shade and swimming around the dock:) Oh, it's a dogs life!!
July 23, 2013 at 7:01pm     
olldroo
Morning all, so glad when there isn't much activity. Actually, I have been seriously thinking of dropping out here as I just can't cope anymore with coming on every morning to around 300 emails. It is taking me 3 - 4 hours to get through it all and I just can't be starting my days that way. The time difference makes it even harder as I feel I have missed the boat with so many things as well as the fact that when I do get here half of you have gone to bed anyway.

Kutchie, don't bash your head with your mil and mother, I did quite a bit of study on the effects of dementia when I was caring for my mum and all the expert advice is to just go with them, arguing with them only confuses them more. Dementia affects short term memory first and as it progresses the memory loss extends further back in time. My mother first forgot day to day things, then couldn't remember back a month, then a year, then she was back living in her previous home she had left 20 years earlier, then she was back at school except she went to school in the area I live in and not where she lived. She went shopping every day where she shopped as a teenager, she knew all the stores and the owners' names, she never forgot people although new people she met she got very confused about. My doctor told me the day could come that she would think I was her mother and I think she was about there when she died. That freaked me a bit. The worst part of it too is that they think they can physically do the things they could do 30 or 40 years earlier. My mum needed a walking stick for safety, but when she was more off the planet than normal, she thought she could walk on water and had a lot of falls as a result. Another problem with them living at home with dementia and their lack of ability to know their limitations is that they then refuse to move when the time comes for them to have better care.

Next time she calls about the safe, just sound all concerned and tell her you will look into it - she will have forgotten by the time she gets off the phone. When she needs a saucepan, tell her you will bring it next time, when she makes claims about Nancy just give her a surprised "really", nothing you say will ever have any effect on her and she will have forgotten everything by the time she finishes speaking to you.

Anyone approaching the later years should have an enduring Power of Attorney in place so another family member can manage their affairs for them. Our Govt is really pushing for people to stay in their homes for as long as possible, which is good in one way but it does leave them open where TV shopping channels are concerned or here with Charities making begging phone calls. BH's mother bought a $2,000 vacuum cleaner from a door to door salesman one time despite the fact she freely announces she doesn't do housework and as her Financial Manager now, he is constantly calling Charities to let them know any pledges she makes will not be honoured and demanding they do not call her again. No one ever thinks of the big picture when they make policies - we have a Do Not Call Register for businesses but Charties are exempt. They should be made exempt for people with dementia if the Govt wants them to live in their own home.
July 23, 2013 at 7:04pm     
olldcan
Hi Roo, I had to shut my e-mail notifications off, just way too much. Now, I just hunt down the olld discussion on the days I can participate. I even stayed away for quite a while because I just was spending too much time here day in and day out. Hey, I got stuff to do :) and quite frankly, I had just had enough. I missed the ollds way more than I missed another backsplash dilemma :) Now, I check in when I can and limit my time. No more spending all day on here.
I have enduring power of attorney on my mom. No joking, It had to be done. Mail fraud companies and others through mail send her this contest crap and trinkets to purchase for waaaaaay more than what there worth. In May and June she spent over $3500. on nothing. Every night her acct. would be debited up to 5 times, of course it didn't help she wrote out 2 entire chequebooks in 6 weeks!!!!! Arrrg, still pissed about that :(
July 23, 2013 at 7:15pm   
Linda
Hi all. I had another day in paradise...trying to finish up a project that has dragged on way too long. The city is digging up all the streets in the area so every day is a new challenge just to find which street is open and isn't blocked up with dump trucks and construction equipment. Then, we have to listen to the heavy equipment all day and today they were working directly in front of our project digging up half the roadway.

We need to take off a piece on the front of the porch and replace it with new plywood but we just really don't care to do that while the construction is going on thirty feet away so we worked inside. My partner was complaining today about some work which his brother had done a few months ago and didn't finish the way my partner wanted it done. We were working on the threshold between the bathroom and the kitchen and he was complaining about the tile installation and the flooring installation.

Then, he tried to throw some blame on me for not doing the tile at the doorway his way. Well, I made sure that the tile was laid out around the tub as I wanted it but I didn't lay the tile. In fact, my partner likes to bitch about me "trying to tell guys how to do their jobs even though they have been tiling (installing floors, trim, cabinets, etc) for years" I didn't lay into him but I did mention that he complains about me when I do direct the work and then he tries to blame me if I don't direct the work.

I was really, really close to telling him to start looking at himself as he was the one who wasn't running the job when he was supposed to be doing so. At that time, he was drinking heavily and not paying attention to the work at hand (he's sober and now attending AA meetings). I get so tired of listening to him complain about how the people he hires don't do the work correctly. ummmm why do you want to ever hire that person again? He turns the project over to the person, doesn't keep at eye on the progress and then likes to complain later how the work wasn't done right. I told him that I'm tired of hearing him moan and groan about poor quality work and that he needs to do his own work if other people aren't measuring up to his standards. I'm sick of how everything is always some one else's fault.

OK, that's my rant for the evening. Sometimes I need to talk about the issues, but I don't really have anyone to discuss them with as my husband's response would be that I should just stop working at these projects.
July 23, 2013 at 7:51pm   
Jayme H.
@roo...IDK if u are able, but can you change your settings to avoid all the emails? I set mine so all I get is a notice if someone "likes" a post I make. I would go nuts if I got all those emails!! It sounds like u went through a lot with your Mum....she was lucky to have you! Goodnight all...sleep well.
July 23, 2013 at 8:27pm   
S. Thomas Kutch
Roo she already lives in an Assisted Care Living Center. She does forget these issue, but then in a couple of days she'll see something or do something and they start all over again. My BIL and wife have Power of Attorney agreements already and my wife controls all the financial matters for her after we discovered that from Feb to April she had mailed out over $6K in $10, 15, 25 and 50 dollar checks to everything from White House Watch to Psychics and contest.......you name it she was on everybody's list. We still get anywhere from 6-12 pieces of junk or scam mail per day in her name.......she has been diagnosed in the early stages of dementia, but mostly she's just hard headed and stubborn....once she gets something in her head, there is no proving to her otherwise.......my wife says she's been like that her whole life no matter how out there her perception is on any given topic........... as my wife says, she's turning into her mother (wife's grandmother) who was ill mannered, cantankerous and mean spirited.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day........but I'll still turn the cell phone off.
July 23, 2013 at 8:30pm   
kimdee24
I'd hate to see you leave us, Ms Roo... I so enjoy your posts! But yeah I can imagine that 300+ emails to wade through would be a bit overwhelming! I have my notifications off for most things.

Had a good day at golf today, despite a headache, achy knees and getting stung by something on the back of my leg! Going to go curl up on the couch with the dog for awhile, and then bedtime for Kimmy.
July 23, 2013 at 8:36pm     
olldroo
Funny Kutchie, my mum was very mean spirited and downright nasty, she had a huge chip on her shoulder about everything and nothing was ever good enough for her, and I was her biggest disappointment because I wasn't born a boy, but she did get heaps worse with the dementia. Most times when I visited her in the Home the staff would take to berating her for the way she used to speak to me but then she would turn on them. She argued with everyone and only she was right. I once suggested a fire hose might be appropriate. She even threw a jug of water over one of the male residents one time because he walked in her room, but then he crept back the next day and threw one over her - actually Nursing Home life sounds like it could be fun.

MIL is a huge problem with money, she wanted to move to a Retirement Apartment but then the dementia set in and she now stubbornly refuses to leave her home. She needs money to go out to her daily activities but the minute they put money in her purse, she gives it away and then rings BH complaining she has no money and refuses to believe he gave it to her in the first place. Unfortunately she lives over an hour's drive away so it is impossible to constantly control her and BH is constantly tearing his hair out. She doesn't have a safe but she constantly stock takes her china cabinet and rings about everyone coming into the house and stealing from her.
July 23, 2013 at 9:15pm   
olldroo
kd - I leave the notifications on to make it easier, sometimes I wish Houzz could put a stop on them once you have one for each thread. The majority of them were for here fortunately, but the housekeeping is very time consuming too, cleaning out my inbox and deleting. Maybe we need to draw up some "rules" about what is discussed here as what really disappoints me is that nearly all the original members of OLLD have left us now, because of time constraints. I really miss a lot of them they were very interesting and we had great chats.

Enjoy the couch and put an ice pack on the bite.
July 23, 2013 at 9:20pm     
kimdee24
Ms Roo -- I feel very blessed that OLLDs have welcomed me, and the timing was perfect, me stumbling in here just when I needed a distraction the most. It's amazing how people who've never met can come to mean so much. I'd miss my new OLLD friends if they weren't here anymore for any reason so I can totally understanding missing those you've come to enjoy so much. Heading off to bed now, will put some ice on the sting and hoping you have a great day... much love! xoxo
July 23, 2013 at 9:44pm     
olldroo
Gosh I had totally forgotten how down you were when you first joined us, you really have come to a better place now. Sleep well, I won't go too far.
July 23, 2013 at 10:06pm     
OLLD 7/7
Good morning OLLD's! Sorry I was gone yesterday but...
OLLD 5/23
Wakie, wakie everybody..........time to get up....damn...
OLLD 4/23
Good Tuesday morning! What's everyone up to today?...
OLLD 2/23
Good Saturday morning! What's happening today? Welcome...
OLLD 3/23
Good morning all!
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Your Single Best Curb Appeal Tip?
Though some of us may struggle with getting our own...
Flooring Opinion?
What do you think of this flooring? It would be going...
Grey or white solar shades?
I'm getting solar and blackout shades to replace these...
need advice about front door colour and shutters and garage door
We want a different a stronger front door color; there...