Need help with easy to clean kitchen backsplash ideas
nino8888
Dear houzzers, I am trying to design my kitchen keeping the existing white sleek cabinets with the black granite countertop in a city apartment. Think to choose floor tiles in slate / ivory /light beige colors and matching backsplash. I want to avoid lot of grout space to get easy to clean backsplash, so I have to say no to mosaics and to subway tile. Please advise if a large tile 12"X18" with the beautiful ornament in the same color - cream - (that shows up in different ways when the light hits it ) will work as a backspash? also what shoud be the distance between the counter and cabinets? and if backsplash should stop right under the cabinets, or the tile can go under the cabinets (not to cut the tile).
Any ideas about colors and styles of easy to clean backsplash are welcome, please advise.
Brenda
"sheet" (not tile) custom back painted glass (Dreamwalls is the company that I am familiar with)

you can't get much easier to clean then sheet glass with no (or very limited) grout lines

[houzz=GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Mandeville Canyon Residence][houzz=Kitchen with island and back-painted glass and exposed painted moment frame][houzz=Mount Adams Kitchen Renovation][houzz=Jessica Road - Knight Frank]
July 23, 2013 at 7:07am   
nino8888
Thank you Brenda, I like the glass backsplash but still inclined to do tiles. Just not sure whether this size will not look awkward. Thank you though, love the pictures, I have noticed these on houzz but I don't think it will work in my kitchen.
July 23, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Ron Corl Design
Mirror make the counter the highlight, makes the space look larger, an clean like a dream. No grout!
July 23, 2013 at 12:33pm     
0825sam
The standard distance between counter and upper cabinets is 18 inches. For me a 12 inch tile would be too large because you would only be able to fit one and a partial between counter and cabinets. That would bother me visually. If you want a larger format tile, I would consider something like 4x12 or 6x12. With those sizes, in my opinion, you can fit enough tiles under the cabinets that it doesn't look awkward.
July 23, 2013 at 12:33pm     
Fred S
Or turn the 12x18 tile the other direction.
July 23, 2013 at 1:54pm   
nino8888
Thank you all, very valuable inputs, probably I will reconsider the tile I was in love with and look out for a new one. Turning the tile to its 18" side unfortunately will not work as the ornament will lose its beauty. And I wanted to clear the standard distance between the counter and the upper cabinets, as some people told me max can be 23", in that case 2 of my tiles would fit. Mirror is also a great idea, btw one of the reasons I like "my" tile is because part of the ornament has a high gloss, mirror like finish. Thank you all.
July 23, 2013 at 11:27pm   
glitzy
I mirrored my backsplash in a previous home. It was incredible. The electrical outlets were up under the cabinets, so it was an easy to clean surface with Windex.
July 24, 2013 at 12:23am     
Need help with backsplash ideas for kitchen
What backsplash would look good with attached countertop...
Need help with kitchen backsplash ideas.
We have white kitchen cabinets with light oak floors....
Help! Need kitchen backsplash and paint ideas!
We recently got new cabinets (creme, hazelnut glaze)...
Need help with Kitchen Backsplash Ideas
Hello, my hubby and I are having a very hard time trying...
How to make small bedroom look cozy
Hi, Need a help to make our small bedroom little warmer...
Need help "finishing" interior of my home
We purchased a home approx a year ago and have worked...
Should we buy this?
My bf and I have been looking for months for a new...
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
Should we move the commode?
We are diy renovating our kids bath. Everything is...