Kitchen Makeover: Bold Granite or Bold Backsplash?
twinmamamaven
July 23, 2013 in Polls
We are about to remodel our kitchen (see below picture). I have fallen in LOVE with a bold granite and a bold backsplash but they do NOT look good together. So I am trying to decide: Go with a bold granite (and neutral backsplash) or go with a bold Backsplash (and neutral granite/quartz). Our cabinets will be white shaker style and our floors will be wood medium tones.
The Bold Granite
The Bold Backsplash
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twinmamamaven
hum, it is saying I have votes but I can not see the results :/
0 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 7:25AM
tyrrell
I think the counter is a great place to begin...the Bold Backsplash is amazing, however you will be "somewhat locked" into those colors for a long time.
1 Like   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:29AM
0825sam
I love the backsplash but I also voted bold granite because I am not "bold" enough to lock myself (as tyrrell put it) into the backsplash colors.
What about doing the bold granite and a backsplash in the same shape as the bold backsplash just in either a solid color or tone on tone/relatively monochromatic in a neutral pulled from the granite.
0 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:33AM
mintygreenlove
bold backsplash. and if you get tired of it in 5 years you can change it again.
1 Like   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:36AM
twinmamamaven
I have lots of decorations that are the turquoise and blues/greens, so that could be where the bright colors come into play. Also maybe a bold wall color? We just bought the house but I am still thinking of resale and some might not like the bold backsplash (considering we are in Texas, not near a beach). Thank you for the votes/comments, please keep them coming!
0 Likes   July 23, 2013 at 7:41AM
PRO
Shak├║ff
Loving the bold backsplash! maybe with a nice soapstone countertop!
0 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:42AM
lefty47
HI -- You should pick the one you can live with the longest . The backsplash tiles are really pretty and the area of tile is not that large , so that could be replaced in a few years if and when you want a change . As for the counter tops - that is the most expensive item to replace ,so that will be there a very long time . Can you live with it for a long time ? Do you tend to change your mind a lot ? I didn't vote because this will have to be your call . I know you have probably fallen in love with both when you saw them , but I think it will come down to money now and in the future .
0 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:43AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I love the granite choice. With a white subway tile it will be gorgeous forever. Stonebreaker Builders Frank Lloyd Wright Remodel Arlington
3 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:46AM
inabunker
I wouldn't go with the blue/green backsplash - it's too specific and if you want to resale the house, you might have a problem. Plus, I think that's all you're going to notice in your kitchen...you can always add color with accessories. I like your granite though.
0 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:49AM
Margo
Kelly- sums this whole debate up ;))
1 Like   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 7:49AM
2peafaithful
Countertops mean more to me than backsplash. It is a larger investment and there is usually more of it. I would go with the granite you love and find another backsplash that works.
0 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 9:05AM
crp1234
Do your granite and use the same slab for the backsplash. I've done this on many properties and it looks great. No grout and you can be bold in both spots.
0 Likes   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 9:09AM
Jenny Youngblood
Backsplash is easier to change. I would do a nice neutral quartz and then the backsplash. That is easily changed in 5-7 years or if you need to redo it for resale, and usually for less than 2k vs granite to replace is 3-5x that depending on amount used and detail of edge. I would not worry about being too specific. It is your kitchen, so you have to love it-- but I really hate neutral, so that is my bias. If you choose the granite though, do not do the granite as the backsplash. It is a very dated look- like pre 2005- at least in LA. That would be an instant turn off for me if I were a future buyer.
1 Like   Thanked by twinmamamaven    July 23, 2013 at 9:25AM