kitchen island lighting
zacketnalaJuly 23, 2013
my kitchen island is 57 inches long by 41 inches deep I already have 2 pendants lights that are only 18 inches apart.I don't like it because i find the kitchen is big but because of the 18 inches between the two junctions I can't find something bigger that could make a statement.So my question is if I have a traditional dark kitchen with this island should I remove the 2 pendants lights and replace them with recess lights (and add some more?)Thanks for your help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lotus Construction Group
Hi zacketnala,
It is hard to see what the ceiling is like. Just painted ? I think the scale of the island could easily handle some pendants that hang lower they could even be something with a little color or just amber.I like to use hanging pendants as little gems in the kitchen they can really make a statement.They can also anchor a large island that feels disconnected. If the curved portion in the front is to be like an eating bar I would hang them from a track along that curve. If you like the openness I would light the island up with four recessed lights around the perimeter.
    Bookmark   Thanked by zacketnala    July 23, 2013 at 10:48AM
PRO
DMH DESIGN
I agree with Lotus. The pendants could be lowered. I think with either recessed or additional pendant lighting, patching the ceiling to some extent will be in order. I would space them out from the center of the island length wise, 18" in the long direction, and centered in the other, 3 fixtures total, and put them on a dimmer, if you prefer, as the ceiling should be, as well. Happy Houzzing.
    Bookmark   Thanked by zacketnala    July 30, 2013 at 2:35PM
Brenda
I'm not following .... why can't you "find something bigger that can make a statement"?

[houzz=
    Bookmark   Thanked by zacketnala    July 30, 2013 at 2:38PM
zacketnala
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions I'm in the process of having my new pendants light (just waiting for the rods to be cut at the right lenght)They 're all 12 inches long and one is to hight and two is to low for the island .Im very please with my choice and so happy that I did'nt have to patch the ceilling and make new holes.They don't look to close to each others and for me that was a real concern.I'll take a picture as soon as possible to show you !Thanks again!
    Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:21PM
Monesa Arvanitis
I agree with Brenda something bigger
    Bookmark   Thanked by zacketnala    July 30, 2013 at 9:26PM