1965 Ranch Style Home, Kitchen needs update
IDEAS by CLARKS
Would like to go more modern or contemporary. Currently using Aqua and gray in the other parts of the house. any ideas?
kdesignerinc
That is a really great canvas to work with. I would change the wall the the upper cabinets to the opposite wall and then put in a island going the other direction. It will open the space up and will make it easier to transition to different rooms. And on the empty wall I'd put floating shelves( it would work great if the cabinets were white,the wood on the island medium and the shelves a dark wood. Since you have aqua already in your home and I don't know if you're the bold type, I'd say use aqua in the barstool colour or in kitchen appliances so that if you ever changed your feelings toward aqua, you could always change up the fabric/little appliances. (I'm not saying go buy a 600$ KitchenAid mixer, little appliances would work.)
July 23, 2013 at 4:38PM        Thanked by IDEAS by CLARKS
Sandy G. ltd.
-- It would be helpful to have a few more shots of your kitchen since I cannot tell where your appliances are but am guessing that the stove is in the peninsula [by the salt and pepper shakers on top of something].

There are so many things you can do to update your kitchen and it all depends upon how deep you want to dig. Total reno or facelift?

For either, remove the cabinets over the peninsula and remove the peninsula. Using the old cabinets or new ones, finish out the door wall by installing cabinets over to the doorframe - upper and lower. Now, you have a wonderful open space.

You should have room for a center island with stools on one side.

Install upper cabinets over the counter opposite the sink [?]. Then add a cabinet under the larger window making an "L" in that corner. Glass panels in some of the doors would be nice.

Is this an eat-in kitchen with a dinette area which is out of the picture? Would love to see more of your space and how one area relates to another. . . .

My computer is running very slowly now so I need to cool 'er down.
July 23, 2013 at 5:08PM      Thanked by IDEAS by CLARKS
IDEAS by CLARKS
i really like the ideas. thank you. I'll most likely be posting pics of the rest of the house soon. We are closing on it in 30 days and i'll be able to get better pics.
July 25, 2013 at 9:19AM   
IDEAS by CLARKS
Here are a few more images of the kitchen. I had these on my phone.
July 26, 2013 at 12:07PM   
IDEAS by CLARKS
planning on replacing these cabinet doors and drawers with flat panel flush mounts to give a more modern look as well.
July 26, 2013 at 12:24PM   
IDEAS by CLARKS
These are the wood floor(kitchen, hallway, dining), floor tile(ktichen, bathrooms) and countertop(kitchen) that we have selected. trying to decide what color to finish the cabinets with. Wife isn't as daring as I am, so i'm thinking a dark stain for the cabinets. not as modern as I would like but it should fit together nicely. I hope.
July 26, 2013 at 12:30PM   
IDEAS by CLARKS
We sell floors so those come easily to us but i'm at a loss of what to do with the rest of house.
July 26, 2013 at 12:31PM   
Sandy G. ltd.
These changes alone will go a long way towards updating and de-traditionalizing your kitchen/dinette. You are going to have a darker space with these choices, however. Just be sure that you will be ok with that.
July 26, 2013 at 4:05PM      Thanked by IDEAS by CLARKS
IDEAS by CLARKS
Thank you sooo much. we are about 20 days from closing and will take possession about 15 days after that. I'm really looking forward to using your suggestions. Gonna pull those cabinets down over the peninsula and open up the wall on the left which separates the kitchen from the living area. Maybe use that for the breakfast bar. Honestly i'm still toying with all of the ideas in my head. I will be sure to show pics of the Reno as it develops. I will probably have more questions as well.
August 13, 2013 at 1:48PM   
Kiva Sherr
Hhjjhggggffffgggfffggggggggggg
August 13, 2013 at 1:49PM   
IDEAS by CLARKS
This is the adjoining living room. you can see the wall that I mentioned previously that will be opened up. Still haven't decided on final colors for walls and such. Floors are pretty much the only part we have decided for sure.
August 13, 2013 at 1:51PM   
IDEAS by CLARKS
and yes btw. I do welcome some bold design ideas. Talking my wife into them is another story. But I'm willing to try some more more extreme changes.
August 13, 2013 at 1:55PM   
Remodeling a kitchen in a ranch home (1965) Would like your opinions?
Do you feel it is best to keep the style of the kitchen...
need help for a ranch style home...need to update stucco walls
stucco walls 1970s closet doors needs molding a...
Need help updating the exterior of our ranch style home
We purchased our house last year, and have completely...
What color furniture should I use for this two tone blue room?
My entire house was a silver gray, and I was desperate...
Need help with my house exterior, from old to modern
We recently purchase this 1970's house and would like...
Recess lighting
We are building a house and wondering if it's necessary...
Cabinets for laundy room?
Should they match kitchen or bathroom cabinets?