Need help with living room
prati g
We recently bought a new home and i am trying to decorate the living room. We have a black sofa set ( a 2 seater, 3 seater and a single seater). I didn't want to have a black and white pattern in the living room so i chose a light orange-red rug and golden curtains. We have a set of old lamp shades which don't seem to fit with the black couches. Please suggest how to improve the look of my living room. Also i am on a tight budget so I cannot buy too expensive decor.

Thanks for the help !
PG
jahoicu
A simple large print over the sofa, or three long rectangle puzzle prints. One large square end table between the two Sara's to create an "L" shape . Large ottoman table seat instead of coffee table. Two colored lamps. Throw pillows, soft lap blanket. Paint the walls to accent your rug.
July 23, 2013 at 5:09PM      Thanked by prati g
abbyjean
Can the two seater go across the room from where it is now? Then it will not block your door way and it will still be near the couch. Pull those two big pieces in tighter together to the front legs are on the rug, which means the rug may have to move closer to them, also. The three little circles behind the couch are not big enough for that area, but I like them a lot! Could you stack them on the wall to the right of your entry door or could you even put them on that white wall in the entry? They would be closer together there. LOVE the idea of red pillows for the furniture and a throw over a corner of one piece, too. Will the chair be ok right where it is with this arrangement?
July 23, 2013 at 5:14PM        Thanked by prati g
abbyjean
Is there room for that coat tree near your front door? I do like that chair by the window. Could one of your end tables go by the chair? With a lamp and the throw there, for a nice little reading corner?
July 23, 2013 at 5:17PM     
prati g
Thanks abbyjean & jahoicu for the suggestions. I will implement these ideas and post a pic of the completed room
July 24, 2013 at 10:53AM   
abbyjean
Can't wait to see it! I love simple changes with huge impacts!
July 24, 2013 at 11:16AM   
viplymel
what design/color of throw pillows would you use for this sofa?
July 24, 2013 at 1:39PM   
abbyjean
I feel like your rug has the design and would go for solid pillows? Choose a favorite color from the rug.
July 24, 2013 at 1:48PM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
The addition of pillows to your sofas may or may not help you. Pillows on upholstery pieces like yours might slide right off and look contrived. Instead here are a couple of thoughts. Over the sofa group three or four poster size prints similar to your seated Buddha. These are not hard to find already framed and ready to hang. Posters.com and Allposters.com may have them. You could also consider using photos here. There are some large photographic prints of spice markets in Morocco, weavers in Nepal, and so on. The vivid colors of your carpet will pop with art work that echoes them. The side tables are a little stunted next to the seating so I'd pull them out more toward the front of the arms. If you can, replace the lamps with something a lot more Modern. A pair of hi-tech LED lamps would be cool. If you are considering a cocktail table look at Restoration Hardware. They offer some Retro (60's) steel trunks. They also sell industrial pieces of furniture like vintage inspired moving palates with wheels. If the sofa and loveseat are an issue for you and you'd like to lighten the look, add pillows or throws after you've put everything else together. If you can try it, then move the chair up to be a part of the grouping.
July 24, 2013 at 2:02PM        Thanked by prati g
Stephanie Long
Hi Prati, hope this is helpful...I think you could use the small decorative pieces above the coach in another small wall area of the room, and perhaps really tie the style of the room together with a large, bold painting over the coach. I found an iPad app (ARTtwo50) that is awesome and let's you virtually hang Original art on your wall and compare them. All art is 250$ and beautiful...you can find it at www.arttwo50.com. For example, you can compare the works (in your own room) and it will look like this:
July 24, 2013 at 2:11PM      Thanked by prati g
viplymel
This is not my picture. I just have a rug like this one and a sofa that's very similar; only a little lighter. (not leather though). I'm just still baffled as to what kiind of throw pillows? Prints or solids? I like Bold!!!
July 26, 2013 at 12:15PM   
abbyjean
THAT rug has a lot of pattern, so a solid on your couch seems safest to me. Choose TWO of your favorite colors and play with those.
July 26, 2013 at 12:38PM   
archlvn
I would like to remove that rug and have a solid one because the one that you have has large and lots of pattern. If you can get a solid and little bit bigger rug goes under your sofa so you will tie your furniture, and I agree with "abbyjean".
July 26, 2013 at 12:53PM   
Rug ok?
Does this rug look too small? Wrong color? Too much...
Paint, what colour do we choose!?
We need some serious help! Neither of us have any design...
custom showers and bathrooms
slate tiles, granite curb, sets, shelves, heated flooring,...
Super small bed room
Super small space. excuse the mess. storage has been...
Ideas for porch divider - ceiling to floor
We recently moved to a twin home (one with black front...