Paint brushes
tonipepin
how do you clean paint brushes that are used in oil base paint. I know with mineral spirits but do you then wash them with soap and water? Also, wondering about priming unfinished wood, should it look a little rough after the primer or do I still need to sand them after the primer?
zippyvt
I use mineral spirits/paint thinner to wash up after using enamel paint, and once brush is cleaned of paint, I remove as much excess thinner as possible, (to avoid getting thinner down the drain) then I wash brush with dish washing soap and water till it runs clean, and thinner is off. Depending on the application I am not averse to using disposable foam brushes for oil/enamel, but I do prefer to use high quality brushes, and washing them well. In regards to priming raw wood, it often raises the grain or little burrs, so depending on what you are painting, it will produce a much smoother finish if you do a light sanding with fine sandpaper after priming, and run some tack cloth over it to remove the residue and leave a clean surface for painting. Often, if my sanding goes down to raw wood in places I'll prime twice. (I like to paint around the house, but my job is as a sign painter on carved wooden signs, and I paint with oil and latex house paint every day, and am washing brushes multiple times a day, so I like to be good to my brushes) Hope that helps.
July 23, 2013 at 6:12pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Oil brushes stay oil brushes don't clean them with soap and water as for the wood what kind of wood is it is it rough sawn cedar
July 23, 2013 at 6:13pm   
tonipepin
the wood is pine.
July 23, 2013 at 8:01pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
If its for interior use sand it smooth if its for exterior no need to sand unless its really ruff
July 23, 2013 at 8:04pm   
Which would look better in this space?
This is how I currently have my living room arranged....
Chair to go with dining table
I can't decide if this chair looks good with my trestle...
HELP ME PLEASE!!! I NEED COLOR and Brightness
Hello, I just bought this house about a month ago...
Landscape Help!
We moved into our first home 3 months ago and have...
What can I do to the front of this house to make it attractive..
Would like to turn room to the right back into a porch. Can...