I need some advise regarding my home
52mary
I owe a home built in 1935. It has 3 bedrooms however only 1 room has a closet. I have been told that if a room does not have a closet it cannot be considered a bedroom. Is this information true. The rooms are not big enough to have closets built and I use stand alone closets. I am concerned about this issue for resale value. Does anyone have any input on this situation?
Every town has different building codes. You need to go to town and find out what constitutes a bedroom.

But to keep the value of your home you need to find a way to incorporated closets in those rooms. One suggestion is to build a closet on each side of a window.

July 23, 2013 at 6:07PM        Thanked by 52mary
Here in California in order to be a bedroom you need a closet and a window. Judyg's suggestion of finding out from the County Planner (or simply call your local Realtor) to find out. Adding closets makes a lot of sense. If something is attached to the home (built-in) it's part of the house and can be considered a closet.
July 23, 2013 at 6:16PM      Thanked by 52mary
Linda
In our area, code enforcement says that you do not need a closet for a room to be considered a bedroom. However, you must have a smoke detector in the room. In terms of determining legal occupancy levels, you don't need a closet for a space to be considered a bedroom

The local MLS rules require a bedroom to have a closet although the rules aren't uniformly followed. We recently saw a house with one bedroom on the main floor and two large bedrooms in the upstairs and neither upstairs room had a closet although there was plenty of closet space in the central hallway. That home was listed as a three bedroom house,

I have also been told that closets are required for rooms to be considered as bedrooms for appraisal and financing requirements.
July 23, 2013 at 8:21PM   
Feng shui front garden ideas?
Hi- any thoughts? I am at a loss as to what to do with...
Need advice on kitchen
Which comes first?? Kitchen cabinets or flooring??...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Super small bed room
Super small space. excuse the mess. storage has been...