Counter and Backsplash choice
Anne
OK, we've come down to two possibilities and they are quite different. One is the glass and granite 1X1" backsplash with dark charcoal grey Silestone. The other is 1/2"X1/2" marble and glass backsplash with almost white Silestone. Pictured below with the natural maple shaker cabinet doors we already have.
We have stainless appliances and natural maple window blinds. The walls are mossy green but we might change the colour depending on the backsplash we choose.
Anne
I should mention we might be selling, so resale potential is a question but the cost will be the same either way,
July 23, 2013 at 8:46pm   
I vote #1. It's a nice contrast with your cabinetry and not as busy as the 1/2" mosaic tiles. There is too much contrast in the 1/2" tile. Be sure to have under cabinet lighting also.
July 23, 2013 at 8:47pm        Thanked by Anne
daljoe
Love #1 too! I think it's a really classy look! Good luck!
July 23, 2013 at 9:00pm      Thanked by Anne
Nancy Walton
I like #1 also.
July 23, 2013 at 9:06pm      Thanked by Anne
Maria Killam
If you plan to sell I would go with the white countertop and a white subway tile backsplash. That is a way more timeless look than the mosaics you are considering. This post might help: http://www.mariakillam.com/2011/11/one-more-reason-you-should-skip-accent-tiles-altogether.html/
July 23, 2013 at 9:12pm        Thanked by Anne
laurakdesigns
For resale I suggest more neutral- many people won't like the very dark counter. Especially the countertops since it ends up dominating. What color are the floors? Something to consider as they are also a large horizontal
July 23, 2013 at 9:13pm      Thanked by Anne
I love the dark but not your green walls. If going dark go a gray wall. If selling soon. Go the lighter. Most people will be drawn to that look. But my choice up is the dark very dramatic
July 23, 2013 at 9:16pm        Thanked by Anne
mrscollie
If you want to resale, I agree with Maria and laura kaplan, something more simple and classic.
July 23, 2013 at 9:25pm      Thanked by Anne
mcbriec
Like others, I much prefer number one,but agree with Travis that grey would be a better paint color to go with it. But I also agree that number 2 might be better for resale. The green would look great with that choice.
July 23, 2013 at 9:27pm      Thanked by Anne
Anne
@Darzy the 1/2"X1/2" marble and glass backsplash is also available in 1"X1" 1/2X1 1/2" rectangles, or 1"X2" rectangles. I didn't get the sample of the rectangles because they are stacked rather than staggered, which is what I would prefer.
July 23, 2013 at 9:36pm   
Anne
@Laurakaplandesigns Floors are a reddish brown laminate. In this photo the cupboards look a bit washed out, but the floor colour is pretty good. We don't know for sure if we will sell. We will only do so if we can get a larger neighbouring unit.
July 23, 2013 at 9:40pm   
laurakdesigns
Looks like the floor color coordinates nicely with either backsplash Which one do you Love? Just enjoy. Candace Olson likes to use the same color on the floors and counters for visual continuity. It does open the door for #3....
July 23, 2013 at 9:50pm      Thanked by Anne
sullivandesign
I like the white counter with a white small subway tile - possibly a 1x3. more contemporary look than the traditional larger subway tile, but still has broad appeal, looks clean. Good luck!
July 23, 2013 at 10:01pm      Thanked by Anne
Hi Anne..I wanted to show you a couple of difference mosaic tile options. One is high contrast that can show you how "busy" it can look. You may like it, but just wanted you to see. It was actually hard to find a high contrast tile in a kitchen backsplash.
The Abbott
Weyand Residence
July 23, 2013 at 10:02pm      Thanked by Anne
Anne
@Darcy I see your point about the busyness of the small tile. What do you think of same colours/textures in a larger format?
July 23, 2013 at 10:07pm   
Veronica Gonzalez
For resale purposes, I think the light tones would be more attractive to buyers. Good luck!
July 23, 2013 at 10:08pm      Thanked by Anne
chatelaine9
Choice #1 definitely, but go with a gray or light tan wall color.

We just installed a very dark gray granite countertop (actually an absolute black with a satin texture), and everyone compliments us on it!
July 23, 2013 at 10:10pm        Thanked by Anne
Justin Harris
1
July 23, 2013 at 10:14pm      Thanked by Anne
Anne
I really don't like the white on white subway tile and marble look. It makes me think of hospitals, public washrooms in train and bus stations, and of course subways. It doesn't feel neutral to me, it feels stark and cold.
As selling is only a possibility, I would hate to choose my decor to suit an imaginary buyer who might just rip out whatever I do to suit themselves. I don't want to choose something that's off-putting to a potential buyer either, but I do still have to live with it.
July 23, 2013 at 10:16pm     
You're right Anne. You should do what you like. And, I think you like the mosaic tile which is lovely. I just think you may get tired of the high contrast tile. How about an amber glass tile? Or this copper color? I have a glass mosaic tile also, in a low contrast, which is actually sort of busy but everyone loves its. BTW...how many square feet of tile do you need? If it's minimal, the 1" may be just fine, without being too busy.

July 23, 2013 at 10:27pm      Thanked by Anne
Nancy Walton
I get tired of sugestions for white subway tile and grey paint you often see here on Houzz--pick what you like and enjoy whatever time you have to enjoy it. Whomever buys your house will either love it too, or rip it out and put up what they love. I didn't like my kitchen countertop, the kitchen cabinets or the backsplash when I bought my place, so two years later I did it over to what I love when I finally had the money to do so.

To arrange YOUR house for the sake of "resale," when the resale may be so far off in the future whatever you do to your house will be "dated" is ludicrous! Our houses are here to satisfy us and make into a "Home," and a home consists of those people and things we love and make us happy. Grey painted walls do not make me happy--I lived in an area of the country where the sky was grey more often than not--and now I live in the beautiful Southwest where the skies are blue and go on for miles...
July 23, 2013 at 10:34pm        Thanked by Anne
Anne
@Darzy I do like the copper tile you show, but I dread cutting that metallic stuff. I'm planning on doing the tile myself so I've stayed away from the metallic options because of that. We'll only have about 30 sq ft of backsplash and about 45 sq ft of the countertop. The wall colour is even less as it is only around the window and above the upper cabinets (ducting in there so can't be removed unfortunately). Right now the green travels into the living room (as does the floor) where it is only on the feature wall. The rest of the walls are a tan colour.
Right now, I prefer the high contrast and DH prefers the lighter counter because "it doesn't show the dirt:"
July 23, 2013 at 10:43pm   
Nancy Walton
Actually, I think the lighter color will show spills more, as there will be a color contrast.
July 23, 2013 at 10:47pm      Thanked by Anne
Anne
@Nancy at last a kindred spirit! I too live on the grey "Wet" coast. I do not want more neutral (drab) gray inside my home. If I want to surround myself with grey I just step outside 9 months of the year. I must say the same thing happened when I bought my car. I had to special order it because I didn't want some variation on gray, white or black. I was told most people choose gray because of resale value, but I intend to drive my car into the ground so why not get a colour I love and is easy to spot in the sea of gray cars in the parking lot? My car is the same colour as this cricket and every time I look at it, I smile.
July 23, 2013 at 10:50pm   
Nancy Walton
You are right! Is that a Boston College logo? I'm from New England, where it is grey about 300 days a year, if it isn't snowing, it's raining!
July 23, 2013 at 10:54pm        Thanked by Anne
Anne
It doesn't show as well in the photos, but the gray granite in the backsplash has green undertones and quite a bit if sparkle (mica?).
July 23, 2013 at 10:55pm   
Anne...don't cut the mosaic tile! Dry set the tile before you install it and make sure no cutting is necessary. Even if there is 1/2" overhang at the cabinets, you do not want1/4" tile near the edge.
July 23, 2013 at 10:56pm      Thanked by Anne
Anne
@Maria Killam and @sullivandesign The other aspect of the space is that it is open to my living room/dining room. I can't imagine how I could tie together a white kitchen with the rest of the room.
July 24, 2013 at 12:39am   
Anne
@Darzy I'm not sure I understand. How can I avoid cutting some tiles if the mosaics come in 12" sq sheets and the space I'm tiling is 18" high? What about around light switches and duplexes? I've never actually done tiling before.
July 24, 2013 at 12:48am   
Nancy Walton
Anne, if you have never done tiling before, please don't attempt it on this. I think you will be less than satisfied, and something this important should be done well.
July 24, 2013 at 7:11am   
Nancy Walton
There are outlet box extensions to bring your outlets and switches out to the level of the tile.
July 24, 2013 at 7:14am   
Benjamin Moore Aura
On the Benjamin Moore website, they claim that any...
Colors scheme of trim
I want to change the color scheme on the trim of my...
What color slipcover would you put on the sofa and love seat?
I am trying to decide whether to keep the bokhara rug....
Felt tip on bottom of chair leg
I'd like to put a felt tip on top of the metal pin...