Attention all you talented Houzzers regarding Kitchen layout
ddelanJuly 23, 2013
Will be finalizing kitchen layout and would like your input of placement of appliances etc. Additionally, any ideas what to do with other side of wall (where door leads to garage) to make it more cohesive part of kitchen? My thought is floor to ceiling pantry with small desk? Would appreciate your comments/thoughts.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Ddelan--I am not a huge fan of elevated eating bars, as I believe a uniform 36" height makes the surface more practical. The island seems unecessarily deep, with what appears to be dead space btw. the back of the sink cabinet and the overhang. If you want a deeper countertop, fine, but 36" is the max I would consider, not including the overhang, which would be another 12" min at the sides--shift the base cabinet out, if you are concerned with the alignment with a soffit beam and column alignment--4' or more of clearance btw. cab'ts. is not a bad thing, and in fact, this is a good idea for anyone wishing to remain in their home long term (you could ask your cabinet maker to design the sink cab't with a removable floor and toe kick, which compliments this). Your counter would serve 4 people reasonably comfortably if the overhang were 12" deep at both ends, and the ellipse should be much shallower, perhaps 4" -6" at the center is plenty (verify whether or not corbels will be necessary with your cabinet supplier for support) I would shift the garage door 30" away from the corner to get both a 42" - 48" cook's desk and a 24w X 24d pantry on that wall to the near side of the kitchen. Happy Houzzing.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:35PM
ddelan
Thanks DMH. I asked about that island pic too. It was just a glitche with programmer. The main counter will be 24" and raised bar will be additional 12" or so (because of overhang curve). I opted for raised bar because I thought the necessary support columns looked better that way. I can't envision what you are suggesting about island. Would you happen to have pic you can share to show your vision of island? I appreciate the time you took to respond to my query. Thanks again.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:45PM
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Ddelan--I can't find a pic that accurately describes your exact island issues, so here is a sketch, with intended dimensions. You should panel out all sides to look like the doors--it will look great. Also, you solve the column issue by making the lower portion slightly wider. Pay close atttention to the aligment of the panels to the base of the columns, as it won't look right if the alignment is off. I hope this helps the cause. Happy Houzzing.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 10:57AM