New Fence
Jason Keenan
July 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Getting ready to move into our new house and looking for ideas for our fence. We were thinking about replacing the metal fence with the wood.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
libradesigneye
Will you be taking down the wrought iron gate at the home's entry? Wouldn't you love this if it was just a modern / updated design? Here's a contractors fix to get the most bang for your buck - go see a wrought iron shop guy - you will spend less and be happier and have a custom look that will outlast a wood fence big time. One of the problems here is the white finish - it jumps forward where a good wrought iron will disappear so you see right through - in black or bronze.

I see a contemporary look but they can use the old frames as their base for your new design and save you a lot. Also, you want a bronze or black finish which falls away from the eye a lot more.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a price to have them take this down, take the old style embellishments off this fence, and add back a simple modern pattern / place a more modern finish on the old frame, and reinstalled. Reworking this fence to be modern will last longer and not cost any more than replacing it with a wood fence that would fall down and not impart the same modern look. I'm remembering a terrific railing at stone brewery world cafe in escondido, ca - if they took all the curlicues off, added some modern elements and painted this out bronze you would have something terrific.

You would do the gate into the courtyard at the same time - here, look at this railing (on landing on right in photo) of course, you could have something modern and not contemporary / more ornate too. I'm a contemporary fan but you might like scrolls - google and look on houzz for images, but then find a metal shop

check out this simple reed like look using rebar that still has the spiral on it but welded across at angles to evoke reeds. http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1600&bih=805&tbm=isch&tbnid=rK8vF4zQTDRCXM:&imgrefurl=http://www.examiner.com/article/stone-possibly-developing-a-brewery-europe&docid=li-xl3xwx-KdKM&imgurl=http://www.stonebrew.com/zips/bistro_overview1_small.jpg&w=1200&h=800&ei=UmzvUcqhCuiKiAKivYGoAw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:16,s:0,i:127
July 23, 2013 at 11:02PM        Thanked by Jason Keenan
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jason Keenan
Thank you very much for your suggestion! I never thought about keeping the metal, but I can see exactly what you are talking about!
July 24, 2013 at 6:39AM