When will it feel like home?

dasha81July 24, 2013
We finally moved in to our new house 3 days ago. I know, I'm being tough on myself and the house because it's so soon. We are still living in boxes and pictures aren't up yet, rugs not on floors, old couches...etc. But shouldn't I feel more excited about our new place?

I feel like every room I walk into I find something I want to change and then I over analyze the situation. Is it cozy enough? Is it nice enough? Is it too dark/too cold/too bright? .....etc

Is this anxiety normal? Last time we moved to our old house, I didn't have these feelings...I was able to take it easy. Now, with 2 small children, working non-stop and lots of things to do, I'm a nervous wreck about everything!
dasha81
bump. i know there are no pics attached. someone talk me off the ledge, please. lol. only kidding, of course!
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:13AM
stiesta
Right there with you. We moved into our home about seven weeks ago and I am finally feeling like it's home. I have been rearranging furniture and adding rugs like crazy. I think the hard thing is that you are trying to fit furniture from your old home into a new one. Every space is different. What worked in one room in the old house might not work in the new one. Hang in there. Don't stress too much. It will happen. Just takes time!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dasha81    July 24, 2013 at 9:28AM
It would take at least 3 months for you to get 'used' to the new layout of the house and adjusting your routine accordingly.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:29AM
dasha81
phew! good to know that i'm not alone. hubby is perfectly content and taking it easy. me, on the other hand, i'm a ball of stress....worrying if we made the right decision. :/ once we make it more homey, i'm sure i'll chill out and won't even notice most of these details...just hard to get used to the change.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:43AM
starbella
I have been in my old "new " house for 3 months now and it is starting to feel like home. I'm having anxiety that I have not changed anything yet. We have fixed structural things but no fun stuff yet. The budget is tight tho. I can't wait to paint and get this 80's wallpaper out of here. I know what you mean about furniture it was perfect for my old house layout but not this one. I also look at my furniture and think it looks old and shabby it didn't help that the movers ruined a lot of my pieces:( good luck with your new home.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:58AM
Robin W
I've been in my house for almost 2 years and there are days that I'm beyond happy to be here, and there are other days I wonder what I was thinking and have the same anxiety. It's normal.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 10:23AM
searcy
I was stressed too when we moved into our new home...and I'm a designer. I was overthinking it. I got it together piece by piece and now I love it completely. I started over from scratch on furniture.
If you can get a recommendation for a designer to come out and just give you a consultation, it would help alot. They can get you going in the right direction. A designer can take a look at your house plans and space plan it for you. They can help with color consultation, etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:57PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
it's Ok dasha. your going through the same emotional glide path that almost every one of my new house clients have felt over the 32 years I've been building. It'll definetly feel all warm and fuzzy with time..Remember, like you have said..it's stiil a house..sheetrock and tile and wires and plumbing.Home is where your heart will soon be (:
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:41PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
Can i recommend a movie that might help take some of the edge off for now? I always give it as a house warming present with a bottle of champagne and a bag of microwave popcorn. To this day, when I'm invited to the christmas parties, they still laugh about it !
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:45PM
Terracegallery
What is the movie?
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:03PM
bubblyjock
Joseph F Yencho: unless I missed something, which movie are you recommending?

In our experience, a nice meal together, then with new neighbours = new friends, make a new house a home.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:04PM
karen038
I have moved many times, and YES your feelings are normal. I find it helpful to put some effort into making one room (usually the family room) feel somewhat "done" as soon as possible. Pictures up, furniture arranged, pillows, plants and throws. no boxes! It doesn't have to be arranged the way you'll keep it forever, but make it feel normal at least. Then there's a place to go that isn't stressful. Getting your kitchen stuff in order and functioning is pretty high priority too, of course. Unless you want to eat out every night and blow your decorating budget! :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:19PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
"Mr Blandings builds his Dream House"
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:24PM
mkmort
Try the movie "the Money Pit".
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:26PM
mkmort
Previously when you moved, did you have 2 small children? I say give yourself a break. Do what you can? But then do something fun with your kiddos like build a box fort with the empties. And breath.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:32PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
The "money pit " is a remake of "Mr Blandings", but is so over the top as to lose any value to reality. Mr Blanding has a uniqueness and warmth to it that my clients have always found comforting. Especailly after I tell them what makes the movie so interesting..sorry folks, have to watch it first. (:
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:38PM
kathy
I've moved three times (all for husband's job), once overseas. It always takes a while to feel like home.
One can experience a wide range of emotions.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:47PM
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
You are experiencing anxiety, which as others have said is quite normal. Take a deep breath. Now get yourself a glass of wine or a cup of coffee & relax. You really cannot pre-judge such a huge project.

Wait until your boxes are unpacked, the furniture & decor in place, and then you will find it cozy and your new "home". Moving is one of the most stressful experiences we have in our lives.

Trust yourself - you chose to move & to buy/build this house for very good reasons. Now you need to give yourself time to make the adjustments.

I have been in my new house since mid-April and am just starting to feel like it is home.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:49PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
@mkmort- I do like your box fort reference! When i was growing up, there wasn't a lot of loose change, if you get my drift, so my younger brother and I used to walk to the appliance dealer and drag all his old cardboard boxes home and build a "boxfort" in the yard. We would spend all summer living in it LOL,,real "our gang" stuff! Thanks!
cindinfocus
We have just bought our second house in 36 years. Giving up our old home is a wrentching exprerience. I should be excited but am a little ambivalent about the "new" place. Doing a lot of repairs to both places is sapping a lot of joy out of it . I thought something was wrong with me, glad to hear that there's hope.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 7:11PM
Bringing the Hotel feel Home
What is it about hotels that feel so wonderful? Have...
design help to make a 90s home in the mountains, have a rustic feel
this will be a vacation rental, so trying for a more...
southerly5
Need to give my home curb appeal and welcoming feeling
This is my first home and I am on a tight budget as...
flaka326
huge living space doesn't feel homely
hi there, Im not sure what to do with this space to...
camillemead
How do you decorate a Victorian so it doesn't feel like granny's house
Beautiful fir mouldings, maple floors, some Karastan...
melikap
Hickory flooring questions
We like hickory flooring, and want to achieve a look...
mzdesign2015
Ideas for prom dress?
I am 5'10 tall girl and i have a boyish figure with...
1.20 zoroaster
Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!
This dining room living combination needs a new look! The...
soosun2
Design for Master Bedroom
I have 6x5meter room with a door on left corner. It...
faizaraisi
home construction cost guides(s)?
is there a reliable source (or rules of thumb) that...
brotherjon
Sponsored Products
InnerSpace 5.5-inch 3/4-size RV Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Zen Garden Path Light by Kichler
$264.00 | Lumens
Platinum Outdoor Post Mt 1-Light
PLFixtures
Window Accents Celestina Wave Jacquard Grommet Panel Pair - 29-41342SIL
$50.99 | Hayneedle
Two King 510TC Pillowcases
$119.90 | Horchow
Ribbon & Reed Doorstop
Signature Hardware
Gray & Purple Spectrum Rug
$149.99 | zulily
Five-Light Polished Chrome Downtown Chandelier
$597.99 | Bellacor